Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command to get file size..
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command to get file size.. Post 302148220 by sysgate on Friday 30th of November 2007 08:37:45 AM
Old 11-30-2007
file means "The maximum size of files written by the shell and its children", so the answer is yes. For alternative on getting the file size you can use "stat", sample output :
Quote:
[sysgate@sysgate ~]$ stat data/unixbased.gif
File: `data/unixbased.gif'
Size: 7385 Blocks: 16 IO Block: 4096 regular file
Device: 803h/2051d Inode: 261934 Links: 1
Access: (0664/-rw-rw-r--) Uid: ( 500/sysgate) Gid: ( 500/sysgate)
Access: 2007-10-16 13:06:09.000000000 +0300
Modify: 2007-02-26 12:43:35.000000000 +0200
Change: 2007-10-16 13:06:05.000000000 +0300

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File size limitation of unix sort command.

hi , iam trying to sort millions of records which is delimited and i cant able to use sort command more than 60 million..if i try to do so i got an message stating that "File size limit exceeded",Is there any file size limit for using sort command.. How can i solve this problem. thanks ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
7 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting only file size of the ls -ltr command.

All, I only need to get the file size when I do an ls -ltr filename.txt Could you give me the exact syntax. Thanks KOP (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

command to list file size

I'm new to HP-UX and am looking for the command that will allow to me determine the total size of listed files. I'm being told that my backup selection is exceeding my tape drive size and need to determine how much information is being backed up. Help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgordon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to read file name and size

hi all, there is any command or anything we can use to read the file name and size. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to reduce size of file/directory???

Hello, I want to compress any given file or directory. I used 1)gzip 2)zip But when I do "ls -l". I found that the zipped file is in fact greater in size than the original file. Can you please tell me the commands which will show me the difference in its size. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Performance issue with 'grep' command for huge file size

I have 2 files; one file (say, details.txt) contains the details of employees and another file (say, emp.txt) has some selected employee names. I am extracting employee details from details.txt by using emp.txt and the corresponding code is: while read line do emp_name=`echo $line` grep -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arb_1984
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor for new file with ext .err and size > 0 bytes and perform a action or command

Hi All, I need to create a script to monitor a dir for new files with ext .err and also it should b a non empty files. and perform a action or command . We have a new ETL application that runs on a linux server, every times a etl fails it creates a .err file or updates the existing .err... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MAKHAN
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

find command to display size and date of a file

Hi, The blow code does not yeild any output. find . -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.ksh" -o -name "*.properties" -name "*.war" -o -name "*.ear" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.cfg" -exec ls -l {} \; I wish to print the filename filesize filedate in HP-UX. Can anyone help ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
img-gif(3tk)															      img-gif(3tk)

NAME
img-gif - Img, Graphics Interchange Format (gif) SYNOPSIS
package require Tk package require img::gif ?1.3? image create photo ?name? ?options? DESCRIPTION
The package img::gif is a sub-package of Img. It can be loaded as a part of the complete Img support, via package require Img, or on its own, via package require img::gif. Like all packages of Img it does not provide new commands, but extends the existing Tk command image so that it supports files containing raster images in the Graphics Interchange Format (gif). More specifically img::gif extends Tk's photo image type. The name of the new format handler is gif. This handler provides new additional configuration options. See section GIF OPTIONS for more detailed explanations. All of the above means that in a call like image create photo ?name? ?options? [1] Image data in gif format (options -data and -file) is detected automatically. [2] The format name gif is recognized by the option -format. In addition the value for the option is treated as list and may contain any of the special options listed in section GIF OPTIONS. GIF OPTIONS
The handler provides two options, one for reading from a GIF image, the other influencing the writing of such. -index n This option is for reading from GIF files containing more than one image (animated GIF's, GIF movies. When specified it will read the n'th image in the data. The first image is at index 0 and will be read by default, i.e. when the option is not specified. -interlaced bool If the value of this option is set to true the image will be written using the interlaced sub-format of GIF. The default is to write non-interlaced files. This option is not implemented yet. IMAGE COMPRESSION
Instead of LZW the run-length encoding of Hutchison Avenue Software Corporation is used, also known as miGIF compression. The miGIF com- pression routines do not, strictly speaking, generate files conforming to the GIF spec, since the image data is not LZW-compressed (this is the point: in order to avoid transgression of the Unisys patent on the LZW algorithm.) However, miGIF generates data streams that any rea- sonably sane LZW decompresser will decompress to what we want. TRANSPARENCY
If you want to write images to disk which contain transparency information (e.g. GIF89) you need at least Tk 8.3. SEE ALSO
img-bmp, img-gif, img-ico, img-intro, img-jpeg, img-pcx, img-pixmap, img-png, img-ppm, img-ps, img-sgi, img-sun, img-tga, img-tiff, img- window, img-xbm, img-xpm KEYWORDS
gif, image handling, tk COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-2003 Jan Nijtmans <nijtmans@users.sourceforge.com> Img 1.3 img-gif(3tk)