Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command to get file size..
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command to get file size.. Post 302148210 by preethgideon on Friday 30th of November 2007 07:59:25 AM
Old 11-30-2007
Command to get file size..

Hi,
Apart from ll -s, is there any way to check the file size.

I am working on a script to send a alert when the file size nears the ulimit.
So need the command that will show just the size in bytes.

Also clear my another doubt.When ulimit -a shows the following

time(seconds) unlimited
file(blocks) unlimited
data(kbytes) 1048576
stack(kbytes) 131072
memory(kbytes) unlimited
coredump(blocks) 4194303
nofiles(descriptors) 2048

Does it mean that any file created on this server will have no limit on the size ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gideon.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File size limitation of unix sort command.

hi , iam trying to sort millions of records which is delimited and i cant able to use sort command more than 60 million..if i try to do so i got an message stating that "File size limit exceeded",Is there any file size limit for using sort command.. How can i solve this problem. thanks ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
7 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting only file size of the ls -ltr command.

All, I only need to get the file size when I do an ls -ltr filename.txt Could you give me the exact syntax. Thanks KOP (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
6 Replies

4. HP-UX

command to list file size

I'm new to HP-UX and am looking for the command that will allow to me determine the total size of listed files. I'm being told that my backup selection is exceeding my tape drive size and need to determine how much information is being backed up. Help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgordon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to read file name and size

hi all, there is any command or anything we can use to read the file name and size. thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to reduce size of file/directory???

Hello, I want to compress any given file or directory. I used 1)gzip 2)zip But when I do "ls -l". I found that the zipped file is in fact greater in size than the original file. Can you please tell me the commands which will show me the difference in its size. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Performance issue with 'grep' command for huge file size

I have 2 files; one file (say, details.txt) contains the details of employees and another file (say, emp.txt) has some selected employee names. I am extracting employee details from details.txt by using emp.txt and the corresponding code is: while read line do emp_name=`echo $line` grep -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arb_1984
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor for new file with ext .err and size > 0 bytes and perform a action or command

Hi All, I need to create a script to monitor a dir for new files with ext .err and also it should b a non empty files. and perform a action or command . We have a new ETL application that runs on a linux server, every times a etl fails it creates a .err file or updates the existing .err... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MAKHAN
4 Replies

9. HP-UX

find command to display size and date of a file

Hi, The blow code does not yeild any output. find . -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.ksh" -o -name "*.properties" -name "*.war" -o -name "*.ear" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.cfg" -exec ls -l {} \; I wish to print the filename filesize filedate in HP-UX. Can anyone help ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)