Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to pass variable to grep? Post 302147942 by xist on Thursday 29th of November 2007 04:56:25 AM
Old 11-29-2007
how to pass variable to grep?

Hi
I have a such conditional:

Code:
SPAMH="it is SPAM"
if grep -q $SPAMH $NMDIR/$mail; then
                SPAMHFLAG=1
        else
                SPAMHFLAG=0
fi

And grep doesn't catch this string, even it exists there. I think it's a problem with passing $SPAMH to grep. I tried "$SPAMH", '$SPAMH', `$SPAMH` etc, but it doesn't help.
Please advice me how to make it working..
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a variable to Awk ?

I am trying to pass 2 shell variable's ("START" and "END") define earlier in the script to this awk statement, but i can't seem to pass it on. PLs help. set START = xxxx set END = yyyy set selected_file = `awk '/$START/,/$END/' filename` (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
24 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How To Pass an Array Variable

Hi, I have a master BASH shell script where I define a bunch of variables: $var1=why $var2=is $var3=(this so hard) I would then like to call another shell script and pass these variables to it: $script2 $var1 $var2 $var3 This works fine for var1 and var2. However, var3 is an array,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass variable to sql

Please help. I got these error. I'm try to pass variable extract from data-file.txt to sql file(select.sql). cat: cannot open select cat: cannot open * cat: cannot open from cat: cannot open user cat: cannot open where cat: cannot open name=$list; #!/bin/bash list=`sed q... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killboy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with * when pass into variable.

Hello expert. I have a little problem here. I write a script and stuck some bug to fix. I found the problem was about * and a sample of script is below. line 1 is print * out but line 3 print all name of files in the script's path. (but I want *) I want to contain * in variable... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaYuMi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass variable to SFTP

Hi All, I am using SFTP command to transfer the file. SRC=`pwd` DIG=123 /bin/sftp -B /dev/stdin xyz@abc.net <<:: mput ${SRC}/GGG.${DIG}.tar.gz bye :: The problem is, after entring into sftp command, it is not taking variable values of SRC and DIG. can someone help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a function with a variable parameter into another variable?

Hello again :) Am currently trying to write a function which will delete a record from a file. The code currently looks as such: function deleteRecord() { clear read -p "Please enter the ID of the record you wish to remove: " strID ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to pass value of pwd as variable in SED to replace variable in a script file

Hi all, Hereby wish to have your advise for below: Main concept is I intend to get current directory of my script file. This script file will be copied to /etc/init.d. A string in this copy will be replaced with current directory value. Below is original script file: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cielle
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass grep's Output to mv?

Hi! I was looking for files to clean out, and I remembered reading somewhere that you could pipe the output of grep to rm. But I prefer to mv stuff to ~/.Trash/ I thought I'd try something like this: ls ~/Library/Preferences/ |grep '.*.\.iTunes\.plist\..*' |xargs -J % mv % ~/.Trash/ I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variable to a query?

Hi All, How to pass date variable to a query? I have tried the below one , but it's not working. ost.ksh #!/bin/ksh v_date=$1 var=$(sqlplus -s $ORACON <<ENDOFSQL SELECT TO_DATE('$v_date','DD-MON-YYYY'),-1) FROM DUAL; exit; ENDOFSQL ) #End I have executed as below. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)