Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to perform addition of two numbers in shell scripting in Solaris-10 Post 302147199 by krevathi1912 on Monday 26th of November 2007 12:20:20 AM
Old 11-26-2007
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
The following is more portable:

TOTAL=`expr $e4 - $s4`

From the syntax $((expression)) it looks like your script was probably written to take advantage of
specific features in the bash shell. As a result your shell script will not be very portable to
non-Linux/GNU systems unless bash is available on these systems.

You suggestion does not work.
Below is my script

#!/bin/bash
echo "Enter the start IP"
IFS="."
read s1 s2 s3 s4
echo "Enter the End IP"
IFS="."
read e1 e2 e3 e4
TOTAL=$(($e4 - $s4))
echo "Total is $TOTAL"

Any idea

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000.

Could someone tell me how to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000 in Korn Shell? When I tried to do it it gave me the wrong answer. e.g. I have a ksh file with the contents below: --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh SUM=`expr 2150000000 + 2` PRODUCT=`expr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition of numbers in unix

Hi I have a file with specified format . Hxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr xxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr xxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr xxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asinha63
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition of all the numbers in a single file

Hi All , Want to know the "sum" of all the digits in below file called "/sample" .Could some one please let me know the script either command . cat /sample 12 34 23 23 Best Regards, Chinni . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinni-script
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition of floating numbers

Hi, i want to add two decimal values to $ set a= 12.4 $ set b=3.6 $ w=`expr $a - $b` expr: non-numeric argument or is there any other method to do this mathematics operation. i need to use this into my script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dear_abhi2007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with addition of 2 numbers that are read from a file

I am trying to add free and used memory (so that i can compute percentage used)of remote nodes using shell script. I use the openssh-server,expect tool and ssh script. 1)login.txt (info of nodes): ip1|username|password ip2|username|password . . . 3)sshlogin.sh #!/bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marmik1903
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of both positive and negative numbers

Let, I have three numbers +00123.25 -00256.54 +00489.23 I need to sum up all those three numbers, after storing them in three variables (say var1, var2, var3). I used both expr and BC, but they didn't work for me. But, I am not able to sum up them, as I don't have any idea how to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of two numbers

by the script, two files Q1 and Q2 will be generated on the system. Q1 will contain an integer number and Q2 also contain an integer number. i would like to add those numbers and put into new file. excerpt from my script 22 subcount=`echo $dir/Q$qid.txt` + `echo $dir/Q$qid.txt` 23 echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with figuring division and addition based on column data and line numbers

I have a data file in the format of 1234 xxx 1234 xxx 1234 xxx 1234 xxxI want to be able to calculate the following - COLUMN1+((LINENUMBER-1)/365) The output needs to preserve the 2nd column - 1234 xxx 1234.00274 xxx 1234.00548 xxx What is the best way to do this? I am somewhat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to perform count & group by operation in shell scripting?

Hi All, I want to display the distinct values in the file and for each distinct value how may occurance or there. Test data: test1.dat 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121106 20121106 20121106 20121105 I need to display the output like Output (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a matched pattern and perform comparison on numbers next to it

Hi, I have been trying to extract rows that match pattern "cov" with the value next to it to be > 3. The 'cov' pattern may appear either in $3 or $4 (if using ";" as field separator). Below is the example:- input file ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)