Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to perform addition of two numbers in shell scripting in Solaris-10 Post 302147061 by krevathi1912 on Saturday 24th of November 2007 09:06:04 AM
Old 11-24-2007
Error How to perform addition of two numbers in shell scripting in Solaris-10

Hi,

I have a sh script which contains the following line

TOTAL=$((e4-s4)) -> Where e4 and s4 are input got from the user.

At the time of execution of this line the following error occurs

test.sh: syntax error at line 8: `TOTAL=$' unexpected

How to solve this issue?. Can any one help me please?.........................

Regards
Revathi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000.

Could someone tell me how to perform calculations using numbers greater than 2150000000 in Korn Shell? When I tried to do it it gave me the wrong answer. e.g. I have a ksh file with the contents below: --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh SUM=`expr 2150000000 + 2` PRODUCT=`expr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition of numbers in unix

Hi I have a file with specified format . Hxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr xxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr xxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr xxxxxxxxyyyyyggggggguuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asinha63
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition of all the numbers in a single file

Hi All , Want to know the "sum" of all the digits in below file called "/sample" .Could some one please let me know the script either command . cat /sample 12 34 23 23 Best Regards, Chinni . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinni-script
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Addition of floating numbers

Hi, i want to add two decimal values to $ set a= 12.4 $ set b=3.6 $ w=`expr $a - $b` expr: non-numeric argument or is there any other method to do this mathematics operation. i need to use this into my script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dear_abhi2007
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with addition of 2 numbers that are read from a file

I am trying to add free and used memory (so that i can compute percentage used)of remote nodes using shell script. I use the openssh-server,expect tool and ssh script. 1)login.txt (info of nodes): ip1|username|password ip2|username|password . . . 3)sshlogin.sh #!/bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marmik1903
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of both positive and negative numbers

Let, I have three numbers +00123.25 -00256.54 +00489.23 I need to sum up all those three numbers, after storing them in three variables (say var1, var2, var3). I used both expr and BC, but they didn't work for me. But, I am not able to sum up them, as I don't have any idea how to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of two numbers

by the script, two files Q1 and Q2 will be generated on the system. Q1 will contain an integer number and Q2 also contain an integer number. i would like to add those numbers and put into new file. excerpt from my script 22 subcount=`echo $dir/Q$qid.txt` + `echo $dir/Q$qid.txt` 23 echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with figuring division and addition based on column data and line numbers

I have a data file in the format of 1234 xxx 1234 xxx 1234 xxx 1234 xxxI want to be able to calculate the following - COLUMN1+((LINENUMBER-1)/365) The output needs to preserve the 2nd column - 1234 xxx 1234.00274 xxx 1234.00548 xxx What is the best way to do this? I am somewhat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to perform count & group by operation in shell scripting?

Hi All, I want to display the distinct values in the file and for each distinct value how may occurance or there. Test data: test1.dat 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121106 20121106 20121106 20121105 I need to display the output like Output (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a matched pattern and perform comparison on numbers next to it

Hi, I have been trying to extract rows that match pattern "cov" with the value next to it to be > 3. The 'cov' pattern may appear either in $3 or $4 (if using ";" as field separator). Below is the example:- input file ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
7 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)