Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can i read a file character by character Post 302146503 by karnan on Tuesday 20th of November 2007 11:38:05 PM
Old 11-21-2007
Can i read a file character by character

How to read character by character using awk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to read 3° character from a text file

Hi, I need a script to read the n° character from a text file. eg: if the text file contains the line "123456" ,I nedd a command to display the number 4, as an example. I tried with awk and printf but it seems only works with words separated with spaces, but in this case I have only one word... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read First Character of Each Line in File

I need a better way to read the first character of each line in a file and check if it equals the special character ¤. This character tells me where there is a break in the reports. The file has over 500,000 lines. Currently, this is my code - if ] I am using Korn Shell as a scripting... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: azelinsk
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

4. AIX

check for a particular character inside a file and substitute with a given character?

i am a newbie to shell script,so i want a kshell script in which i need to check for a particular character inside a file through conditional looping(like if ,case,while)and if that character exists ,then substitute a given character to that character. consider a file test.txt,inside the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikprasathk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I read a file character by character?

Hello all respected people, Can i read a file character by character without using sed,awk and perl commands. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all characters from 350th character to 450th character from the log file

Hi All, I have a big log file i want to delete all characters (between 350th to 450th characters) starting at 350th character position to 450th character position. please advice or sample code. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read character by character in a file

Hi, How read character by character from a file . and i need replace '.' with null if it comes as a 5 character i am beginner ...please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kartheek
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies
Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					     Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_UniCharIsAlnum, Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha, Tcl_UniCharIsControl, Tcl_UniCharIsDigit, Tcl_UniCharIsGraph, Tcl_UniCharIsLower, Tcl_UniCharIsPrint, Tcl_UniCharIsPunct, Tcl_UniCharIsSpace, Tcl_UniCharIsUpper, Tcl_UniCharIsWordChar - routines for classification of Tcl_UniChar characters SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_UniCharIsAlnum(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsControl(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsDigit(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsGraph(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsLower(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsPrint(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsPunct(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsSpace(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsUpper(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsWordChar(ch) ARGUMENTS
int ch (in) The Tcl_UniChar to be examined. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
All of the routines described examine Tcl_UniChars and return a boolean value. A non-zero return value means that the character does belong to the character class associated with the called routine. The rest of this document just describes the character classes associated with the various routines. Note: A Tcl_UniChar is a Unicode character represented as an unsigned, fixed-size quantity. CHARACTER CLASSES
Tcl_UniCharIsAlnum tests if the character is an alphanumeric Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha tests if the character is an alphabetic Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsControl tests if the character is a Unicode control character. Tcl_UniCharIsDigit tests if the character is a numeric Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsGraph tests if the character is any Unicode print character except space. Tcl_UniCharIsLower tests if the character is a lowercase Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsPrint tests if the character is a Unicode print character. Tcl_UniCharIsPunct tests if the character is a Unicode punctuation character. Tcl_UniCharIsSpace tests if the character is a whitespace Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsUpper tests if the character is an uppercase Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsWordChar tests if the character is alphanumeric or a connector punctuation mark. KEYWORDS
unicode, classification Tcl 8.1 Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(3)