Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications vi or vim replace ,$ (eol) with just a comma Post 302145587 by dbauhaus on Wednesday 14th of November 2007 05:15:27 PM
Old 11-14-2007
Re: vi or vim replace ,$ (eol) with just a comma

Weeellllll, ok MS Word lets you replace comma + ^013 which takes a comma plus the carriage returns/line feeds/^M and leave just the comma and concatenates any line which had previously a comma (or any other character) and a new line. Sure takes a long time, and much CPU. At least it works.

Would still like to know how to do this in vi or vim, as I remember needing this before. Thanks, Dan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace , (comma) with space

Hi, what is the better way to replace the , (comma) with a space char? Example:STRING=dir1,dir2,dir3 toSTRING=dir1 dir2 dir3 And.. how to find if in the string there is a comma? Thanks :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbarberis
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace comma(,) with Tab

hi all, i have a file with commas(,). i want to replace all the commas with tab(\t). Plz help...its urgent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma with newline

Hi, for some reason I cant seem to figure this out. I have a file which looks something like this word word word word word,word,word word word word,word,word,word,word word word Basically I want this whole thing to be a list with 1 word on each line like this... word word word... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: replace a character in the middle of line

exmaple, i need to replace the number "5" from all lines below with "X"? What is the useful vim command that i can apply for.. ddpadsgg506xghssuyj ddpadsgag546xghssuys ddsadsgaag596xghssuy_te ddsadsgag506xghssuy_pe ddsadsgagc526xghssuys ddsads506ighssuys ddsadsgag506pghssuyk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 793589
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the | with Comma

Hi, The input file structure is given below: The Col1 and Col2 will be there always. But from Col3 there can be more columns. And Col3 will be always Col4 and Col5 will always be with Col6. I need to replace the | with comma. There are scnearios where there wont be no data.Below, the row 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline with comma.

I have output from a file like this: 15,01,11,14:06 235 I would like to change this to: 15,01,11,14:06,235 Removing newline and change to "," I now this can be done with tr cat OUT | tr '\n' ','' My problem is that tr is not implemented in this shell. sed is, show it should be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Regexp replace in vim/sed

Hi! I have a file with multiple lines following this format: <a href="xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy">xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy</a> The goal is to replace the title (not modifying the href) so the new lines looks like this: <a href="xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy">Aaa bbb ccc</a> The number of underscores in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericjohansson
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace two or more spaces with one comma?

I'm using sh on hp-ux. I've got a file that looks like this. -5.65 175 -16.17 160 -13.57 270 -51.72 260 -8.30 360 -42.71 460 -.38 375 -.20 375 -4.15 170 -21.53 560 -18.84 360 I'd like to replace all the whitespace between the columns with one comma. I can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma and blank with comma and number

I, I have a file and i need to replace comma and blank space with comma and 0. cat file.txt a,5 b,1 c, d, e,4 I need the output as cat file.txt a,5 b,1 c,0 d,0 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces with underscores up to first comma but not after the comma

I have a comma delimited file of major codes and descriptions. I want to replace all occurrences of spaces with underscores up to the first comma (only in the first field), but not replace spaces following the comma. For instance I have the following snippet of the file: EK ED,Elementary and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdouty
7 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitCommUseraContPerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitCommaSeparatedStatements(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitCommaSeparatedStatements - Don't use the comma operator as a statement separator. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Perl's comma statement separator has really low precedence, which leads to code that looks like it's using the comma list element separator not actually doing so. Conway suggests that the statement separator not be used in order to prevent this situation. The confusion that the statement separator causes is primarily due to the assignment operators having higher precedence. For example, trying to combine two arrays into another like this won't work: @x = @y, @z; because it is equivalent to @x = @y; @z; Conversely, there are the built-in functions, like "print", that normally force the rest of the statement into list context, but don't when called like a subroutine. This is not likely to produce what is intended: print join q{, }, 2, 3, 5, 7, ": the single-digit primes. "; The obvious fix is to add parentheses. Placing them like print join( q{, }, 2, 3, 5, 7 ), ": the single-digit primes. "; will work, but print ( join q{, }, 2, 3, 5, 7 ), ": the single-digit primes. "; will not, because it is equivalent to print( join q{, }, 2, 3, 5, 7 ); ": the single-digit primes. "; CONFIGURATION
This policy can be configured to allow the last statement in a "map" or "grep" block to be comma separated. This is done via the "allow_last_statement_to_be_comma_separated_in_map_and_grep" option like so: [ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitCommaSeparatedStatements] allow_last_statement_to_be_comma_separated_in_map_and_grep = 1 With this option off (the default), the following code violates this policy. %hash = map {$_, 1} @list; With this option on, this statement is allowed. Even if this option is off, using a fat comma "=>" works, but that forces stringification on the first value, which may not be what you want. BUGS
Needs to check for "scalar( something, something )". AUTHOR
Elliot Shank "<perl@galumph.com>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Elliot Shank. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitCommaSeparatedStatements(3pm)