Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications vi or vim replace ,$ (eol) with just a comma Post 302145545 by dbauhaus on Wednesday 14th of November 2007 03:18:48 PM
Old 11-14-2007
vi or vim replace ,$ (eol) with just a comma

I have lines in a file like this (140,000+ entries):

value1,
value2,
value3,
"
"

I want to concatenate the three (there are 22) lines with commas so it looks like this

value1, value2, value3
"
"

I'm trying with
:g/,$/s/,$/, /g

but that is not flying.

any ideas?

Thanks, Dan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace , (comma) with space

Hi, what is the better way to replace the , (comma) with a space char? Example:STRING=dir1,dir2,dir3 toSTRING=dir1 dir2 dir3 And.. how to find if in the string there is a comma? Thanks :) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbarberis
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace comma(,) with Tab

hi all, i have a file with commas(,). i want to replace all the commas with tab(\t). Plz help...its urgent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma with newline

Hi, for some reason I cant seem to figure this out. I have a file which looks something like this word word word word word,word,word word word word,word,word,word,word word word Basically I want this whole thing to be a list with 1 word on each line like this... word word word... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VIM: replace a character in the middle of line

exmaple, i need to replace the number "5" from all lines below with "X"? What is the useful vim command that i can apply for.. ddpadsgg506xghssuyj ddpadsgag546xghssuys ddsadsgaag596xghssuy_te ddsadsgag506xghssuy_pe ddsadsgagc526xghssuys ddsads506ighssuys ddsadsgag506pghssuyk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 793589
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the | with Comma

Hi, The input file structure is given below: The Col1 and Col2 will be there always. But from Col3 there can be more columns. And Col3 will be always Col4 and Col5 will always be with Col6. I need to replace the | with comma. There are scnearios where there wont be no data.Below, the row 2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathappriyan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline with comma.

I have output from a file like this: 15,01,11,14:06 235 I would like to change this to: 15,01,11,14:06,235 Removing newline and change to "," I now this can be done with tr cat OUT | tr '\n' ','' My problem is that tr is not implemented in this shell. sed is, show it should be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Regexp replace in vim/sed

Hi! I have a file with multiple lines following this format: <a href="xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy">xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy</a> The goal is to replace the title (not modifying the href) so the new lines looks like this: <a href="xxx.aaa_bbb_ccc.yyy">Aaa bbb ccc</a> The number of underscores in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericjohansson
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace two or more spaces with one comma?

I'm using sh on hp-ux. I've got a file that looks like this. -5.65 175 -16.17 160 -13.57 270 -51.72 260 -8.30 360 -42.71 460 -.38 375 -.20 375 -4.15 170 -21.53 560 -18.84 360 I'd like to replace all the whitespace between the columns with one comma. I can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace comma and blank with comma and number

I, I have a file and i need to replace comma and blank space with comma and 0. cat file.txt a,5 b,1 c, d, e,4 I need the output as cat file.txt a,5 b,1 c,0 d,0 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces with underscores up to first comma but not after the comma

I have a comma delimited file of major codes and descriptions. I want to replace all occurrences of spaces with underscores up to the first comma (only in the first field), but not replace spaces following the comma. For instance I have the following snippet of the file: EK ED,Elementary and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdouty
7 Replies
Dumpvalue(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Dumpvalue(3perl)

NAME
Dumpvalue - provides screen dump of Perl data. SYNOPSIS
use Dumpvalue; my $dumper = Dumpvalue->new; $dumper->set(globPrint => 1); $dumper->dumpValue(*::); $dumper->dumpvars('main'); my $dump = $dumper->stringify($some_value); DESCRIPTION
Creation A new dumper is created by a call $d = Dumpvalue->new(option1 => value1, option2 => value2) Recognized options: "arrayDepth", "hashDepth" Print only first N elements of arrays and hashes. If false, prints all the elements. "compactDump", "veryCompact" Change style of array and hash dump. If true, short array may be printed on one line. "globPrint" Whether to print contents of globs. "dumpDBFiles" Dump arrays holding contents of debugged files. "dumpPackages" Dump symbol tables of packages. "dumpReused" Dump contents of "reused" addresses. "tick", "quoteHighBit", "printUndef" Change style of string dump. Default value of "tick" is "auto", one can enable either double-quotish dump, or single-quotish by setting it to """ or "'". By default, characters with high bit set are printed as is. If "quoteHighBit" is set, they will be quoted. "usageOnly" rudimentary per-package memory usage dump. If set, "dumpvars" calculates total size of strings in variables in the package. unctrl Changes the style of printout of strings. Possible values are "unctrl" and "quote". subdump Whether to try to find the subroutine name given the reference. bareStringify Whether to write the non-overloaded form of the stringify-overloaded objects. quoteHighBit Whether to print chars with high bit set in binary or "as is". stopDbSignal Whether to abort printing if debugger signal flag is raised. Later in the life of the object the methods may be queries with get() method and set() method (which accept multiple arguments). Methods dumpValue $dumper->dumpValue($value); $dumper->dumpValue([$value1, $value2]); Prints a dump to the currently selected filehandle. dumpValues $dumper->dumpValues($value1, $value2); Same as "$dumper->dumpValue([$value1, $value2]);". stringify my $dump = $dumper->stringify($value [,$noticks] ); Returns the dump of a single scalar without printing. If the second argument is true, the return value does not contain enclosing ticks. Does not handle data structures. dumpvars $dumper->dumpvars('my_package'); $dumper->dumpvars('my_package', 'foo', '~bar$', '!......'); The optional arguments are considered as literal strings unless they start with "~" or "!", in which case they are interpreted as regular expressions (possibly negated). The second example prints entries with names "foo", and also entries with names which ends on "bar", or are shorter than 5 chars. set_quote $d->set_quote('"'); Sets "tick" and "unctrl" options to suitable values for printout with the given quote char. Possible values are "auto", "'" and """. set_unctrl $d->set_unctrl('unctrl'); Sets "unctrl" option with checking for an invalid argument. Possible values are "unctrl" and "quote". compactDump $d->compactDump(1); Sets "compactDump" option. If the value is 1, sets to a reasonable big number. veryCompact $d->veryCompact(1); Sets "compactDump" and "veryCompact" options simultaneously. set $d->set(option1 => value1, option2 => value2); get @values = $d->get('option1', 'option2'); perl v5.14.2 2011-09-19 Dumpvalue(3perl)