Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: to grep and find the count
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers to grep and find the count Post 302144975 by matrixmadhan on Monday 12th of November 2007 06:43:09 AM
Old 11-12-2007
Code:
grep -c "|$" filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep with count

I need to count the number of instances of a dir in a set of dir with the same suffix .txt (one dir and all recursive directories). <Main Dir> <sub_dir1> <sub_dir2> <sub_dir3> <sub_dir4> and count the number of instances of a type of file, ie/ .txt files (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: t4st33@mac.com
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count on the grep

The following command lists the files which has "wPOREQ" in the files whose names are like:M*08042007* grep -l "aaa" M*08042007* I want to know the count of the files. Thank you for the help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudheshnaiyer
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting using count, grep and count

Hi, I trying to sort information in a file by making count for every object. For example: A B A D A B C i would like to sort out count for each object (A's, B's and etc) but in actual case i dont know the object but i know the position ofthe object. do i need to use array as well? Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhpal_78
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep group by and count

Hi, I have several files with same filename pattern. I want to calculate count of individual files using grep/egrep. Let me be more descriptive In directory E1 i have files like ab_20091201_12:24 ab_20091201_03:24 cd_20091201_04:16 cd_20091203_08:34 ef_20091201_06:12 ef_20091201 Now i want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shounakboss
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep word count

How do I do a grep wc that counts occurences of two or more different strings? If I have string1 two times and string2 three times, how do I use wc to get the number 5? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and Count Duplicates

I have a delimited file (by |), and the second field is made out of Surnames. Is it possible to list the surnames together with their count of occurances. For example, image the first two lines are the following: Joe | Doe | 30 Jane | Doe | 28 Peter | Smith | 25 John | Jones | 26 I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mouthpiec
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive find / grep within a file / count of a string

Hi All, This is the first time I have posted to this forum so please bear with me. Thanks also advance for any help or guidance. For a project I need to do the following. 1. There are multiple files in multiple locations so I need to find them and the location. So I had planned to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Charlie6742
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact grep and count

got a file as y.txt 1 abc,def,ghj 2 defj,abc.kdm,ijk 3 lmn,cbk,mno 4 tmp,tmop,abc,pkl 5 pri,chk,cbk,lmo 6 def,cbk.pro,abc.kdm i want to search in the above file the key word like abc looking for two outcomes by passing the parameter value as abc into function and the two outocmes are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: silgun
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double Grep Count

Hi Friends, I want to find all processes beginning with the name 'Admin' and then do a grep count on those processes containing a specific string i.e. However, it is giving below error ps -ef | grep ^Admin | grep -ic 'Jan' -e 'Feb' -e 'Mar' grep: Jan: No such file or directory ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find the count of IP addresses that belong to different subnets and display the count?

Hi, I have a file with a list of bunch of IP addresses from different VLAN's . I am trying to find the list the number of each vlan occurence in the output Here is how my file looks like 1.1.1.1 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3 1.1.2.1 1.1.2.2 1.1.3.1 1.1.3.2 1.1.3.3 1.1.3.4 So what I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2prog
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)