Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Limit size of log file from syslog Post 302144731 by jockey007 on Friday 9th of November 2007 12:20:26 PM
Old 11-09-2007
Thanks, but I've clearly mentioned that I can't use logrotate.
May be I am looking for some kind of work around

Last edited by jockey007; 11-09-2007 at 02:29 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit size of the file

How do I limit size of a file to 1 MB or something like that under Linux? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: _hp_
4 Replies

2. Solaris

File size limit

I want to have a permanent file created - and limit the size that this file can grow.. I want a circular file.. ie max size of file is 10 mb.. and if any new data written to file the oldest data removed.. How can I do this? I am on solaris 9 x86 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

3. AIX

file size limit

Can anybody help me? How to increase file size limit in aix 5.2? I have already specified in /etc/security/limits file : default: fsize = -1 core = 2097151 cpu = -1 data = -1 rss = -1 stack = -1 nofiles = 2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Size Limit

Hi, I have a problem writing or copying a file 2GB or larger to either the second or third disk on my C8000. I've searched this forum and found some good information on this but still nothing to solve the problem. I'm running hpux 11i, JFS3.3 and disk version 4 (from fstyp) on all 3 disks. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HaidoodFaulkauf
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Syslog Truncation / Size Limit?

I searched and could not find an answer to this, and am having difficulty, so I would appreciate any assistance that can be offered. We're experiencing logs that are having all characters after the 850th one written being truncated. I am wondering if there is a default limit to the syslog... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Puck
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log Size Exceeds Limit

Everytime I try to start Discreet Flame on my Octane2 machine it keeps giving me an error message "initial log size exceeds limit--aborting" Can anyone please help me how to fix this problem. Thanks. Octane2 IRIX64 Release 6.5 Flame 2007 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewaraja
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Log Size Exceeds Limit

Everytime I try to start Discreet Flame on my Octane2 machine it keeps giving me an error message "initial log size exceeds limit--aborting" Can anyone please help me how to fix this problem. Thanks. Octane2 IRIX64 Release 6.5 Flame 2007 (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Size Exceeds Limit

Everytime I try to start Discreet Flame on my Octane2 machine it keeps giving me an error message "initial log size exceeds limit--aborting" Can anyone please help me how to fix this problem. Thanks. Octane2 IRIX64 Release 6.5 Flame 2007 (6 Replies)
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit on a File size.

Hi All, I want to store 32KB of file in Oracle DB into CLOB field. I am not able to insert more than 32KB of file into CLOB. So i want to put a limit on the file size. I am using k shell. My file size will dynamically increase its size, i want to check the file size if it is more than 32KB... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
1 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Autosys R11.3 : Error on log file size limit

Just had a migration from Autosys 4.5 to R11.3. After the migration to R11.3, Autosys jobs have been failing when the log file reaches a size of 800 MB. This did not happen before the migration, when Autosys 4.5 was used. Is there a way to configure the file size limit/cap in Autosys... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kimo222
1 Replies
DMESG(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DMESG(1)

NAME
dmesg - print or control the kernel ring buffer SYNOPSIS
dmesg [-c] [-r] [-n level] [-s bufsize] DESCRIPTION
dmesg is used to examine or control the kernel ring buffer. The program helps users to print out their bootup messages. Instead of copying the messages by hand, the user need only: dmesg > boot.messages and mail the boot.messages file to whoever can debug their problem. OPTIONS
-c Clear the ring buffer contents after printing. -r Print the raw message buffer, i.e., don't strip the log level prefixes. -s bufsize Use a buffer of size bufsize to query the kernel ring buffer. This is 16392 by default. (The default kernel syslog buffer size was 4096 at first, 8192 since 1.3.54, 16384 since 2.1.113.) If you have set the kernel buffer to be larger than the default then this option can be used to view the entire buffer. -n level Set the level at which logging of messages is done to the console. For example, -n 1 prevents all messages, except panic messages, from appearing on the console. All levels of messages are still written to /proc/kmsg, so syslogd(8) can still be used to control exactly where kernel messages appear. When the -n option is used, dmesg will not print or clear the kernel ring buffer. When both options are used, only the last option on the command line will have an effect. SEE ALSO
syslogd(8) AVAILABILITY
The dmesg command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. DMESG(1)