Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo using single quotes
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo using single quotes Post 302142498 by earnstaf on Friday 26th of October 2007 03:15:10 PM
Old 10-26-2007
If I understand your problem, you are trying to do:
Code:
echo 'why doesn't this work?'

You'll need to escape the inner ' so it is seen literally.

Code:
echo 'shouldn\'t this work fine?'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo is striping mah quotes

As the title says, echo is striping my quotes and I need them. echo "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>" returns: <?xml version=1.0 encoding=ISO-8859-1?> Obviously, echo "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ISO-8859-1\"?>" returns the result I need: <?xml version="1.0"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_becker
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single quotes and double quotes

Hi guys, I have a sed line in double quotes which works fine, but I want it to be in single quotes here is the sed line sed "/abc_def/s/\'.*\'/\'\${abc_def}\'/" can some one give the equivalent to the above script in single quotes Thanks a ton (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl echo with double quotes

I need to echo a string that has double quotes in a Perl script. #!/usr/bin/env perl `echo Rule123 -comment \"blah blah\" >> $filename` I'd like to get below appended to $filename: Rule 123 -comment "blah blah" But instead, the double quotes are lost: Rule 123 -comment blah bah ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slchin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with echo inserting single quotes

Consider the following script: #!/bin/bash exclude='Archive PST,SystemState' IFS=$"," rsyncExclusions=$(for exclude in ${exclude}; do echo -n -e --exclude=\"${exclude}\"\ ; done) unset IFS echo rsync $rsyncExclusions test rsync -avh --delete --delete-excluded "$rsyncExclusions"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes!

Hello. I'm trying to write a bash script that uses GNU screen and have hit a brick wall that has cost me many hours... (I'm sure it has something to do with quoting/globbing, which is why I post it here) I can make a script that does the following just fine: test.sh: #!/bin/bash # make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jondecker76
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to echo single quotes inside awk

# echo 'export HISTFILE=/var/log/history/history_$(uname -n)_$(date +%Y:%b:%d:%H:%M)_$(who am i | awk '{print \$1}')' >> new_file # # cat new_file export HISTFILE=/var/log/history/history_$(uname -n)_$(date +%Y:%b:%d:%H:%M)_$(who am i | awk {print $1}) # Now how to echo the quotes around the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)