Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users 0821-077 ping: illegal packet size. Post 302141268 by sysgate on Thursday 18th of October 2007 10:50:09 AM
Old 10-18-2007
By default (when packet-size is not specified), the size of transmitted packets is 64 bytes. The minimum value allowed for packet-size is 8 bytes, and the maximum value is 4095 bytes, on some systems is even 65000. If packet-size is smaller than 16 bytes, there is not enough room for timing information. In that case, the round-trip times are not displayed. In your case, the -n flag probably means something else, not the count number.]
The error number looks like AIX, I just tested AIX, and I seem to be right : -n flag means "packet-size", as well as "-s" whereas the count is "-c" flag.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to get network packet size

how to get network packet size I would like get network output rate(kb/sec) I type command "netstat -i" Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs 653387 0 678202 0 but i didn't know what is it packet size , how could i get it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096 bytes. Linux has /etc/network/interfaces. Does ANYONE remember the equivalent in Unix? When I do ifconfig eth0 mtu 4000, I get the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

Greetings, I'm stuck in a time warp using ancient machines from the prehistoric era that should be rightfully displayed in the Smithsonian. We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
9 Replies

4. IP Networking

TCP Packet size

Hi! I'm writing an application (using BSD sockets on a Linux host) which communicates over TCP/IP with an embedded device. This embedded device has an old and real slow integrated circuit (Epson S1S6000) which handles all of the TCP/IP communication for it. Problem is, this circuit (S1S6000)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olle
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

7. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris ping report failed packet script

Hello, on Solaris ping command does not report failed packet as in i.e. Windows (Connection timeout) Instead it reports the sequence of the sent packet: 64 bytes from 10.80.4.120: icmp_seq=11. time=36.0 ms 64 bytes from 10.80.4.120: icmp_seq=12. time=35.9 ms 64 bytes from 10.80.4.120:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
6 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
BING(8) 						   UNIX System Manager's Manual 						   BING(8)

NAME
bing - compute point to point throughput using two sizes of ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to pairs of remote hosts. SYNOPSIS
bing [dDnrRPvVwz] [-c count] [-e samples] [-f samplefile] [-i wait] [-p pattern] [-s small packetsize] [-S big packetsize] host1 host2 [...] DESCRIPTION
Bing determines bandwidth on a point-to-point link by sending ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets and measuring their roundtrip times for different packet sizes on each end of the link. host1 is supposed to be the nearest end of the link, while host2 is the other end. The options are as follows: -c count Stop after count resets of the stats. Useful only in conjunction with the -e option. Defaults to 1. -d Set the SO_DEBUG option on the socket being used. -D Display the measured throughput at every received packet. By default, it is displayed only when the computed value changes, which itself changes only when the minimum roundtrip time for one of the packet sizes changes. -e samples Reset stats after sending samples ECHO_REQUEST packets. -f samplefile Saves the bandwidth measurements to the file samplefile. -i wait Wait wait seconds for each ECHO_REPLY packet. The default is to wait for four seconds. -n Numeric output only. No attempt will be made to lookup symbolic names for host addresses. -P Be pedantic regarding round-trip times. Normally, bing assumes that the roundtrip time for a small packet should always be smaller than the roundtrip time for a big packet to the same host, that for a given size the roundtrip time for host1 should always be smaller than the roundtrip time for host2, and that the increase in the roundtrip time between host1 and host2 should always be bigger for big packets than for small packets. Bing takes advantage of this to better determine the minimum roundtrip times. Option -P disables this behaviour, in the unlikely event it could be of any use someday. Even IP/X25 links are not weird enough to require this, though. -p pattern You may specify up to 16 ``pad'' bytes to fill out the packet you send. This is useful for diagnosing data-dependent problems in a network. For example, ``-p ff'' will cause the sent packet to be filled with all ones. -R Record route. Includes the RECORD_ROUTE option in the ECHO_REQUEST packet and displays the route buffer on returned packets. Note that the IP header is only large enough for nine such routes. Many hosts ignore or discard this option. -r Bypass the normal routing tables and send directly to a host on an attached network. If the host is not on a directly-attached net- work, an error is returned. This option can be used to ping a local host through an interface that has no route through it (e.g., after the interface was dropped by routed(8)). -s small packetsize Specifies the number of data bytes to be sent in the small packets. The default and minimum value is 44. -S big packetsize Specifies the number of data bytes to be sent in the big packets. The default is 108. The size should be chosen so that big packet roundtrip times are long enough to be accurately measured (depending on clock resolution and number of hops). -u size increment Specifies that bing should start sending packets of the size of small packetsize and then increase the size by size increment until it reaches big packetsize. -v Verbose output. ICMP packets other than ECHO_RESPONSE that are received are listed. -V Very verbose output. The roundtrip time of each received echo is displayed. -w Display possible warnings about roundtrip times all the time. By default, warnings are printed only at the end. -z Fill packets with uncompressible (pseudo-random) data. Round-trip times and packet loss statistics are computed. If duplicate packets are received, they are not included in the packet loss cal- culation, although the round trip time of these packets is used in calculating the minimum/average/maximum round-trip time numbers. When the specified number of loops have been made or if the program is terminated with a SIGINT, a brief summary is displayed. This program is intended for use in network testing, measurement and management. Because of the load it can impose on the network, it is unwise to use bing during normal operations or from automated scripts. BUGS
Many Hosts and Gateways ignore the RECORD_ROUTE option. The maximum IP header length is too small for options like RECORD_ROUTE to be completely useful. There's not much that that can be done about this, however. Some of the final stats (average throughputs) almost never give a even marginally correct result. SEE ALSO
netstat(1), ifconfig(8), ping(8), routed(8), traceroute(8) AUTHOR
Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.fr> Port to Windows: Francois Gouget <fgouget@mygale.org> April 3, 1995 BING(8)