Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users 0821-077 ping: illegal packet size. Post 302140966 by vishal_ranjan on Wednesday 17th of October 2007 01:51:52 AM
Old 10-17-2007
0821-077 ping: illegal packet size.

Hi,
  • When i try this command
ping ukblx151.ukhx.astrazeneca.net -n 3 | grep icmp

it gives following error Smilie:
0821-077 ping: illegal packet size.
  • But when i give command
ping ukblx151.ukhx.astrazeneca.net

It returns correct output.Smilie

Could you please help?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to get network packet size

how to get network packet size I would like get network output rate(kb/sec) I type command "netstat -i" Ipkts Ierrs Opkts Oerrs 653387 0 678202 0 but i didn't know what is it packet size , how could i get it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alert0919
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096 bytes. Linux has /etc/network/interfaces. Does ANYONE remember the equivalent in Unix? When I do ifconfig eth0 mtu 4000, I get the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Need help with configuring large packet size on Solaris 7 / e6500

Greetings, I'm stuck in a time warp using ancient machines from the prehistoric era that should be rightfully displayed in the Smithsonian. We're running Solaris 7 on FDDI n/w on an E6500 host and wish to use MTU (packet size) > 1500, more like 3072 bytes to begin with and possibly up to 4096... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharique
9 Replies

4. IP Networking

TCP Packet size

Hi! I'm writing an application (using BSD sockets on a Linux host) which communicates over TCP/IP with an embedded device. This embedded device has an old and real slow integrated circuit (Epson S1S6000) which handles all of the TCP/IP communication for it. Problem is, this circuit (S1S6000)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olle
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

7. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris ping report failed packet script

Hello, on Solaris ping command does not report failed packet as in i.e. Windows (Connection timeout) Instead it reports the sequence of the sent packet: 64 bytes from 10.80.4.120: icmp_seq=11. time=36.0 ms 64 bytes from 10.80.4.120: icmp_seq=12. time=35.9 ms 64 bytes from 10.80.4.120:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
6 Replies

9. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
RDS-PING(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       RDS-PING(1)

NAME
rds-ping -- test reachability of remote node over RDS SYNOPSIS
rds-ping [-c count] [-i interval] [-I local_addr] remote_addr DESCRIPTION
rds-ping is used to test whether a remote node is reachable over RDS. Its interface is designed to operate pretty much the standard ping(8) utility, even though the way it works is pretty different. rds-ping opens several RDS sockets and sends packets to port 0 on the indicated host. This is a special port number to which no socket is bound; instead, the kernel processes incoming packets and responds to them. OPTIONS
The following options are available for use on the command line: -c count Causes rds-ping to exit after sending (and receiving) the specified number of packets. -I address By default, rds-ping will pick the local source address for the RDS socket based on routing information for the destination address (i.e. if packets to the given destination would be routed through interface ib0, then it will use the IP address of ib0 as source address). Using the -I option, you can override this choice. -i timeout By default, rds-ping will wait for one second between sending packets. Use this option to specified a different interval. The timeout value is given in seconds, and can be a floating point number. Optionally, append msec or usec to specify a timeout in milliseconds or microseconds, respectively. Specifying a timeout considerably smaller than the packet round-trip time will produce unexpected results. AUTHORS
rds-ping was written by Olaf Kirch <olaf.kirch@oracle.com>. SEE ALSO
rds(7), rds-info(1), rds-stress(1). BSD
Apr 22, 2008 BSD