Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers send message to a remote system Post 302138576 by rakeshou on Tuesday 2nd of October 2007 12:45:15 PM
Old 10-02-2007
Error send message to a remote system

I am analyzing snoop output and want to send "Hello world" to a remote system. I want to see if the message received is encrypted or not.

can I use ping to send a text message?

like ping "helloworld" <IP Addr>

Please help.

Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Sendmail keep a user from send message

Hello, i have a problem with my sendmail, i want' to keep a user from sending mail, how can i process ? My user is titi, and i don't want' that titi can't send mail via sendmail is it possible ? thnak a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westside
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

send message across terminals

Hello: How would you send message to other unix users logged in into the system now.. what should i verify, before sending them a mail across that displays mesage on the terminal. Any man pages? Thanks, ST2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Send warning message to user

Hai..I have one question in unix Shell script.Following is the script System Configuration: lcpu=4 mem=8192MB kthr memory page faults cpu ----- ----------- ------------------------ ------------ ----------- r b avm fre re pi po fr sr cy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sollin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send message from Unix to PC

What is the best way to send message from Unix script to PC users connected to the box ? I tried "smbclient -M <machine>" but doesn't work. I prefer not to use Samba. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnagaya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

error-when trying to send the message thru email.

Hi All, I want to send a message through email. I have written below code. But it is not worling. Anybody has idea, why it is not working?. export $file1=$home1/pip1.$$ mailx -s "This Message from unix" abc@yahoo.com< $file1 thanks,Mary. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MARY76
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To send a message to another system

How to send a message to another unix terminal along with the date specified (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
4 Replies

7. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Cannot send new Private Message (PM)

To be able to send PMs your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 16 posts. If you have a question for the forum moderators and/or administrators, please post your question here. ...you might want to try searching the forums: What am I doing wrong? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=XrAy=-
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send files automatically to a remote system

Greetings, basically what I want to do is take the standard error from a cron file and store it on a file in a remote host (from Solaris to Linux). I want to create a cron file to do this everyday or put it on a script that will send it everyday to the other system (that doesnt matter). Any ideas... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: picolin
2 Replies

10. AIX

Curl, to send text message

hello friends I need to send a text message MSM by AIX with a function called CURL you have some example of how it is done so that you can help me please (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
4 Replies
HOBBITPING(1)						      General Commands Manual						     HOBBITPING(1)

NAME
hobbitping - Xymon ping tool SYNOPSIS
hobbitping [--retries=N] [--timeout=N] [IP-adresses] DESCRIPTION
hobbitping(1) is used for ping testing of the hosts monitored by the xymon(7) monitoring system. It reads a list of IP adresses from stdin, and performs a "ping" check to see if these hosts are alive. It is normally invoked by the bbtest-net(1) utility, which performs all of the Xymon network tests. Optionally, if a list of IP-adresses is passed as commandline arguments, it will ping those IP's instead of reading them from stdin. hobbitping only handles IP-adresses, not hostnames. hobbitping was inspired by the fping(1) tool, but has been written from scratch to implement a fast ping tester without much of the over- head found in other such utilities. The output from hobbitping is similar to that of "fping -Ae". hobbitping probes multiple systems in parallel, and the runtime is therefore mostly dependant on the timeout-setting and the number of retries. With the default options, hobbitping takes approximately 18 seconds to ping all hosts (tested with an input set of 1500 IP adresses). SUID-ROOT INSTALLATION REQUIRED hobbitping needs to be installed with suid-root privileges, since it requires a "raw socket" to send and receive ICMP Echo (ping) packets. hobbitping is implemented such that it immediately drops the root privileges, and only regains them to perform two operations: Obtaining the raw socket, and optionally binding it to a specific source address. These operations are performed as root, the rest of the time hob- bitping runs with normal user privileges. Specifically, no user-supplied data or network data is used while running with root privileges. Therefore it should be safe to provide hobbitping with the necessary suid-root privileges. OPTIONS
--retries=N Sets the number of retries for hosts that fail to respond to the initial ping, i.e. the number of ping probes sent in addition to the initial probe. The default is --retries=2, to ping a host 3 times before concluding that it is not responding. --timeout=N Determines the timeout (in seconds) for ping probes. If a host does not respond within N seconds, it is regarded as unavailable, unless it responds to one of the retries. The default is --timeout=5. --responses=N hobbitping normally stops pinging a host after receiving a single response, and uses that to determine the round-trip time. If the first response takes longer to arrive - e.g. because of additional network overhead when first determining the route to the target host - it may skew the round-trip-time reports. You can then use this option to require N responses, and hobbitping will calculate the round-trip time as the average of all of responsetimes. --max-pps=N Maximum number of packets per second. This limits the number of ICMP packets hobbitping will send per second, by enforcing a brief delay after each packet is sent. The default setting is to send a maximum of 50 packets per second. Note that increasing this may cause flooding of the network, and since ICMP packets can be discarded by routers and other network equipment, this can cause erratic behaviour with hosts recorded as not responding when they are in fact OK. --source=ADDRESS Use ADDRESS as the source IP address of the ping packets sent. On multi-homed systems, allows you to select the source IP of the hosts going out, which might be necessary for ping to work. --debug Enable debug output. This prints out all packets sent and received. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bbtest-net(1), fping(1) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITPING(1)