Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sar logs in /var/adm/sa
Operating Systems Solaris sar logs in /var/adm/sa Post 302137884 by RobSand on Thursday 27th of September 2007 10:33:35 AM
Old 09-27-2007
sar logs in /var/adm/sa

I recently enabled sar (system activity recorder tool) on a Solaris 10 sparc
system.

The performance "logs" being recorded in /var/adm/sa
are getting quite large, quite quickly! How do I rotate these logs so I keep 7 days worth of logs and everything else gets automatically deleted? I suspect this is done in the crontab file. Here are the contents of my crontab file:

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1
20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1
5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A

I have heard that the line above containing "sa2" is supposed to rotate the logs, but it does not appear to be doing so. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks ahead of time!

Sincerely,

Rob Sandifer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/var/adm/messages- Help

Solaris 8/ sun 420R Checked /var/adm/messages file and got the following message: Dec 4 16:40:05 serverXYZ ConfigProvider: get_pkg_instdate: getdate failed for the standard C locale (7) Does anyone know what this means? Looked up getdate but do not understand.... Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finster
1 Replies

2. Solaris

/var/adm/loginlog

As root I have created the loginlog file in /var/adm with permissions (r and w) for root:root only. Failed attempts(> 5) to log in as root do not get logged in the file. What am I missing?? I am on a Solaris 8 Box. :confused: :confused: :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

var/adm/cron

Hi, Here im using WinSCP and looking into the remote dir var/adm/cron and I get the following error.Is this bcoz i dont have admin privileges: Cannot get real path for '/var/adm/cron'. Unexpected OK response. Error code: 0 Error message from server: Success Request code: 16 BTW im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX and cron logs filtering ?: /etc/cronlog.conf, /var/adm/cron/log

Hi, I can use 'crontabs –e' and do all the scheduling I like. However I would like to auto send myself just the cronjobs logs that fail. That is to say the PIDs that fail and the related lines with those PID’s only. (Not the full set of logs) Has anyone done this work? Or does an AIX 5.3 tool... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

5. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

Hello Friends, I am geting the folowing error in /var/adm/message is it disl related problem? if yes.. how to check all the disk are perfect or not? Sep 15 06:01:12 scsi: WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@2,0 (sd7): Sep 15 06:01:12 Error for Command: write(10) Error Level:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
5 Replies

6. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying get the last /var/adm/messages

grep \"^`date "+%b %d %T"`\" /var/adm/messages | egrep \"emerg|alert|crit|err|warning\ but get an output like this ksh: alert: not found ksh: crit: not found ksh: err: not found ksh: warning": not found grep: can't open "19" grep: can't open "16:27:16"" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arch12
1 Replies

8. Solaris

/var/adm & /var/sadm

what is the difference between tha /var/adm and /var/sadm files in solaris 10 Os please can any one respond quickly thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Maintaining SA logs /var/adm/sa/

Hi all, I have enable sar and the sa cron jobs in the sys account. I would like to however, keep only 1 month of data. Can i check for Solaris10, does sa2 do automatic purging of logs in /var/adm/sa/ that are 1 week old ? -- Answer = yes ( in "/usr/lib/sa/sa2" if you open the script,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
2 Replies
sar(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   sar(1M)

NAME
sar, sa1, sa2, sadc - system activity report package SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sadc [ t n] [ofile] /usr/lib/sa/sa1 [ t n] /usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-aAbcdgkmpqruvwy] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i sec] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
System activity data can be accessed at the special request of a user (see sar(1)) and automatically, on a routine basis, as described here. The operating system contains several counters that are incremented as various system actions occur. These include counters for CPU utilization, buffer usage, disk and tape I/O activity, TTY device activity, switching and system-call activity, file-access, queue activ- ity, inter-process communications, and paging. For more general system statistics, use iostat(1M), sar(1), or vmstat(1M). sadc and two shell procedures, sa1 and sa2, are used to sample, save, and process this data. sadc, the data collector, samples system data n times, with an interval of t seconds between samples, and writes in binary format to ofile or to standard output. The sampling interval t should be greater than 5 seconds; otherwise, the activity of sadc itself may affect the sam- ple. If t and n are omitted, a special record is written. This facility can be used at system boot time, when booting to a multi-user state, to mark the time at which the counters restart from zero. For example, when accounting is enabled, the svc:/sys- tem/sar:default service writes the restart mark to the daily data file using the command entry: su sys -c "/usr/lib/sa/sadc /var/adm/sa/sa'date +%d'" The shell script sa1, a variant of sadc, is used to collect and store data in the binary file /var/adm/sa/sadd, where dd is the current day. The arguments t and n cause records to be written n times at an interval of t seconds, or once if omitted. The following entries in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will produce records every 20 minutes during working hours and hourly otherwise: 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 See crontab(1) for details. The shell script sa2, a variant of sar, writes a daily report in the file /var/adm/sa/sardd. See the OPTIONS section in sar(1) for an explanation of the various options. The following entry in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will report important activities hourly during the working day: 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A FILES
/tmp/sa.adrfl address file /var/adm/sa/sadd Daily data file /var/adm/sa/sardd Daily report file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
crontab(1), sag(1), sar(1), svcs(1), timex(1), iostat(1M), svcadm(1M), vmstat(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration NOTES
The sar service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/sar Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2004 sar(1M)