Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux 32bit or 64bit
Operating Systems Linux Linux 32bit or 64bit Post 302136229 by Crazy_murli on Sunday 16th of September 2007 02:42:47 PM
Old 09-16-2007
64-bit or 32-bit OS

uname -a

If its 64-bit linux, it shows x86_64 in the output of the above uname command. Otherwise its 32-bit .

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Bru.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

32bit vs 64bit

Whats the difference between 32bit and 64bit OS's or applications. I understand it a little but its just not clicking the way the teacher explained to me thanks, any info would be much appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

64bit- or 32bit- processor

when using the command : cat /proc/cpuinfo I get some basic info back on the cpu.. but it doesn't tell me if I am using a 64 or 32 bit processor .. a) is this the right command to find this ? b) if it is not what is ? and how do I get that information.. thanx moxxx68 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

3. Linux

Linux version v.s. 32bit/64bit

Where can I get a list that maps the each Linux version to corresponding 32/64 bits model? e.g. OS -> Model (ILP32, LP64, ...) RHLE3 -> ? RHLE4 -> ? RHLE5 -> ? ... It would be better if there is such a list that contains most of current UNIX OS versions. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

4. Programming

32bit to 64bit conversion.

Is there an 'easy' way to convert 32Bit code to 64Bit code. I have this benchmark i need to run on different machines and it would be nice if i could run it on the 64 bit machines ass wel. The output when compiling(1) and running(2) are the following: (1) linux:/home/user1/subbench/heapsort #... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: demuynckr
7 Replies

5. Solaris

32bit / 64bit issue with x86 solaris

i have solaris 10 x86 64bit installed on my pc (dell 3100). i then decided to move my hard drive to another pc (dell 4600). I noticed that each time i boot up, the OS show as 32 bit (instead of 64bit) and i can't even get past this stage to the login page. when i moved it back to dell 3100 it... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
13 Replies

6. Red Hat

32bit Linux vs 64 bit Linux

Friends , Would u plz tell me what is the difference between 32-bit Linux o/s and the 64 bit Linux o/s . Is there any RAM limitation in this two types of o/s . Waiting for kind reply ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Pthread problems, 32bit vs 64bit

I have an application which builds and executes without error on a 32bit implementation of Linux. When I transferred the code to a new project on a 64bit implementation, the code will build without error, but the pthread functions, such as pthread_attr_setschedparam() return an 'Invalid Argument'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpelletier116
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Compiler - 32bit or 64bit?

Hi Gurus, I need to check whether the compiler installed in my system supports 64bit compilation. Server - Sun fire v490 OS - Solaris 5.9 Processor - Sparcv9 (64bit) Install Directory - /opt/SUNWSpro Compiler Model - Sun Forte C Compiler. My development team is claiming that there... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
20 Replies

9. Linux

Need assistance to enable more that 4GB RAM on Linux 32Bit OS.

How to enable more than 4GB RAM support on Linux 32bit OS? OS: CentOS release 5.4 (Final) Kernel version: 2.6.18-53.el5 Arch: 32Bit I got solution at Innovationframes.com • View topic - How to enable more than 4GB RAM support on Linux 32bit OS? but my question is the steps given... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandranjoy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

maintain 32bit and 64bit C code

Hi, I have a C code which builds and works fine on 32bit linux machine. Now i want to convert that code to build and run on 64 bit linux machine. I dont want to maintain two separate sources for 32 and 64 bit build. Same source should get build on 32 as well as 64 bit machine (when a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhushan123
2 Replies
LINUX-VERSION(1)					      General Commands Manual						  LINUX-VERSION(1)

NAME
linux-version - operate on Linux kernel version strings SYNOPSIS
linux-version compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 linux-version sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] linux-version list [--paths] DESCRIPTION
linux-version operates on Linux kernel version strings as reported by uname -r and used in file and directory names. These version strings do not follow the same rules as Debian package version strings and should not be compared as such or as arbitrary strings. compare VERSION1 OP VERSION2 Compare version strings, where OP is a binary operator. linux-version returns success (zero result) if the specified condition is satisfied, and failure (nonzero result) otherwise. The valid operators are: lt le eq ne ge gt sort [--reverse] [VERSION1 VERSION2 ...] Sort the given version strings and print them in order from lowest to highest. If the --reverse option is used, print them in order from highest to lowest. If no version strings are given as arguments, the version strings will instead be read from standard input, one per line. They may be suffixed by arbitrary text after a space, which will be included in the output. This means that, for example: linux-version list --paths | linux-version sort --reverse will list the installed versions and corresponding paths in order from highest to lowest version. list [--paths] List kernel versions installed in the customary location. If the --paths option, show the corresponding path for each version. AUTHOR
linux-version and this manual page were written by Ben Hutchings as part of the Debian linux-base package. 30 March 2011 LINUX-VERSION(1)