Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to Enable TELNET for root user Post 302135290 by porter on Friday 7th of September 2007 08:32:12 AM
Old 09-07-2007
This is strongly discouraged as you will end up sending root password in clear over the network.

The alternative approach is to telnet as a normal user then use "su" to get to root.

However even that is frowned on and ssh should be used instead of telnet.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Enable locked root account

Hi Every one I disable the root account entering wrong password for many time How can I enable the root account I am using Tru64 Unix V4.0G Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syed_45
2 Replies

2. Linux

ftp telnet enable

hi , i have jsut installed linux 9.0 , but i can not ftp or telnet to the system . i have installed the ftp and the telnet server during installation . i have also configured the files to enable the ftp and telnet , the ftp and the telnet daemons are running , but when i do ftp : ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Am not able to login as a root User with telnet

Hi to All, I have configured telnet service in my server but am not able to login with root user in Linux Servers. For that what can i do ? Please help me Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SSH enable, Telnet disable ...

Hi... How do I enable SSH and disable telnet.. Also - is there anything special I need to do to ensure that a new user can use ssh and su but not telnet? Adel (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
15 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Enable SSH for root over certain network connection of a server...is it possible?

Hi - I have a SUSE Enterprise Linux Server V9 that I have an issue with. Policy says that root connectivity via ssh needs to be disabled. So, to do that, I made the following change in the sshd_config section: # Authentication: #LoginGraceTime 2m #PermitRootLogin yes PermitRootLogin no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
3 Replies

6. Linux

how to root gui login enable

hi iam installed mandriva spring 2009 iam unble to login into gui using root how to enable it where the settings are stored (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10

I am not able to get ftp working for Solaris 10 for root user. I am getting login failed error. 331 Password required for root. Password: 530 Login incorrect. Login failed. Tried following things already. 1. SFTP works ok, still would like to know why FTP is not working (curious). 2.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: webkid
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Enable telnet as root to 11.31 non-trusted system?

I have a new box that was set up for me and I want to allow telnet to the box as root. I know that it's not secure but due to the nature of what I test I need an easy and reliable way back in if I've messed up the other connection methods(SSH). This is in a protected lab environment. Eventually... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies
Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet(3pm)

NAME
Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet - TELNET based CLI connection VERSION
version 1.121640 DECRIPTION
This module provides a wrapped instance of a TELNET client for use by Net::CLI::Interact. INTERFACE
app On Windows platforms you must download the "plink.exe" program, and pass its location to the library in this parameter. On other platforms, this defaults to "telnet". runtime_options Based on the "connect_options" hash provided to Net::CLI::Interact on construction, selects and formats parameters to provide to "app" on the command line. Supported attributes: host (required) Host name or IP address of the host to which the TELNET application is to connect. reap Only used on Unix platforms, this installs a signal handler which attempts to reap the "ssh" child process. Pass a true value to enable this feature only if you notice zombie processes are being left behind after use. COMPOSITION
See the following for further interface details: o Net::CLI::Interact::Transport AUTHOR
Oliver Gorwits <oliver@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2012 by Oliver Gorwits. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-12 Net::CLI::Interact::Transport::Telnet(3pm)