Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to Enable TELNET for root user Post 302135286 by lostboy1970 on Friday 7th of September 2007 08:01:54 AM
Old 09-07-2007
Now before getting into the details of how to configure Red Hat Linux for root logins, keep in mind that this is VERY BAD security. Make sure that you NEVER configure your production servers for this type of login.

Configure Telnet for root logins

Simply edit the file /etc/securetty and add the following to the end of the file:

pts/0
pts/1
pts/2
pts/3
pts/4
pts/5
pts/6
pts/7
pts/8
pts/9

This will allow up to 10 telnet sessions to the server as root.

Configure FTP for root logins

Edit the files /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers and /etc/vsftpd.user_list and remove the 'root' line from each file.

source: Configuring Telnet/FTP to login as root (Linux)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Enable locked root account

Hi Every one I disable the root account entering wrong password for many time How can I enable the root account I am using Tru64 Unix V4.0G Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syed_45
2 Replies

2. Linux

ftp telnet enable

hi , i have jsut installed linux 9.0 , but i can not ftp or telnet to the system . i have installed the ftp and the telnet server during installation . i have also configured the files to enable the ftp and telnet , the ftp and the telnet daemons are running , but when i do ftp : ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Am not able to login as a root User with telnet

Hi to All, I have configured telnet service in my server but am not able to login with root user in Linux Servers. For that what can i do ? Please help me Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SSH enable, Telnet disable ...

Hi... How do I enable SSH and disable telnet.. Also - is there anything special I need to do to ensure that a new user can use ssh and su but not telnet? Adel (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
15 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Enable SSH for root over certain network connection of a server...is it possible?

Hi - I have a SUSE Enterprise Linux Server V9 that I have an issue with. Policy says that root connectivity via ssh needs to be disabled. So, to do that, I made the following change in the sshd_config section: # Authentication: #LoginGraceTime 2m #PermitRootLogin yes PermitRootLogin no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
3 Replies

6. Linux

how to root gui login enable

hi iam installed mandriva spring 2009 iam unble to login into gui using root how to enable it where the settings are stored (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10

I am not able to get ftp working for Solaris 10 for root user. I am getting login failed error. 331 Password required for root. Password: 530 Login incorrect. Login failed. Tried following things already. 1. SFTP works ok, still would like to know why FTP is not working (curious). 2.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: webkid
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Enable telnet as root to 11.31 non-trusted system?

I have a new box that was set up for me and I want to allow telnet to the box as root. I know that it's not secure but due to the nature of what I test I need an easy and reliable way back in if I've messed up the other connection methods(SSH). This is in a protected lab environment. Eventually... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies
telnet(1)						      General Commands Manual							 telnet(1)

NAME
telnet - user interface to the TELNET protocol SYNOPSIS
[[options] host [port]] DESCRIPTION
is used to communicate with another host using the TELNET protocol. If is invoked without arguments, it enters command mode, indicated by its prompt In this mode, it accepts and executes the commands listed below. If is invoked with arguments, it performs an command (see below) with those arguments. Once a connection has been opened, enters an input mode. The input mode will be either "character at a time" or "line by line" , depending on what the remote system supports. In "character at a time" mode, most text typed is immediately sent to the remote host for processing. In "line by line" mode, all text is echoed locally, and (normally) only completed lines are sent to the remote host. The "local echo char- acter" (initially can be used to turn-off and turn-on the local echo (this would mostly be used to enter passwords without the password being echoed). In either mode, if the toggle is TRUE (the default in line mode; see below), the user's and characters are trapped locally, and sent as TELNET protocol sequences to the remote side. There are options (see and below) that cause this action to flush subsequent output to the terminal (until the remote host acknowledges the TELNET sequence) and flush previous terminal input (in the case of and While connected to a remote host, command mode can be entered by typing the "escape character" (initially When in command mode, the normal terminal editing conventions are available. supports 8-bit characters when communicating with the server on the remote host. To use eight-bit characters you may need to reconfigure your terminal or the remote host appropriately (see stty(1)). Furthermore, you may have to use the toggle to enable an 8-bit data stream between and the remote host. Note: Some remote hosts may not provide the necessary support for eight-bit characters. If, at any time, is unable to read from or write to the server over the connection, the message is printed on standard error. then exits with a value of 1. supports the TAC User ID (also known as the TAC Access Control System, or TACACS User ID) option. Enabling the option on a host server allows the user to into that host without being prompted for a second login sequence. The TAC User ID option uses the same security mecha- nism as for authorizing access by remote hosts and users. The system administrator must enable the (telnetd) option only on systems, which are designated as participating hosts. The system administrator must also assign to each user of TAC User ID the very same UID on every system for which he is allowed to use the feature. See the telnetd(1M) manpage and the Options The following options are available: Enable cs8 (8 bit transfer) on local tty. Set the command mode escape character to be instead of its default value of Disable the TAC User ID option if enabled on the client, to cause the user to be prompted for login username and password. Omitting the option executes the default setting. Kerberos-Specific Options By default, or by use of the or the option, the Kerberos version of behaves as a client which supports authentication based on Kerberos V5. As a Kerberos client, will authenticate and authorize the user to access the remote system. See the sis(5) manpage for details on Kerberos authentication and authorization. However, it will not support integrity-checked or encrypted sessions. The default Kerberos options for the applications are set in the configuration file. Refer to the in the krb5.conf(4) manpage for more information. The options and described in the subsequent paragraphs, can be set in the file with the tag names and respectively. Refer to the of the krb5.conf(4) manpage for more information. The option can be set in the file within If is set to true and the kerberos authentication fails, will use the non-secure mode of authenti- cation. Note: Command line options override configuration file options. The following options are Kerboros-specific: This option is applicable only in a secure environment based on Kerberos V5. Attempt automatic login into the Kerberos realm and disable the TAC User ID option. Note: This is the default login mode. Sends the user name via the NAME subnegotiation of the Authentication option. The name used is that of the current user as returned by the USER environment variable. If this variable is not defined, the name used is that returned by (see getpwent(3C)) if it agrees with the current user ID. Otherwise, it is the name associated with the user ID. This option is applicable only in a secure environment based on Kerberos V5. Disable use of Kerberos authentication and authorization. When this option is specified, a password is required that is sent across the network in a readable form. See the sis(5) manpage. This option is applicable only in a secure environment based on Kerberos V5. Allows local credentials to be forwarded to the remote system. Only one or option is allowed. They cannot be used together. This option is applicable only in a secure environment based on Kerberos V5. Allows local credentials to be forwarded to the remote system including any credentials that have already been forwarded into the local environment. Only one or option is allowed. They cannot be used together. This option is applicable only in a secure environment based on Kerberos V5. Attempt automatic login into the Kerberos realm as the specified user and disable the TAC User ID option. The user name specified is sent via the NAME subnegotiation of the Authentication option. Omitting the option executes the default setting. Only one option is allowed. Commands The following commands are available in command mode. You need to type only sufficient prefix of each command to uniquely identify it (this is also true for arguments to the and commands). Open a connection to the named host at the indicated port. If no port is specified, attempts to contact a TELNET server at the standard TELNET port. In the IPv4 environment, hostname can be either the official name or an alias as understood by (see gethostent(3N)) or an Internet address specified in the dot notation as described in hosts(4). In the IPv6 environment, hostname can be either the official name or an alias as understood by (see getnameinfo(3N)) or an Internet address specified in the colon notation as described in hosts(4). If no hostname is given, prompts for one. Close a TELNET session. If the session was started from command mode, returns to command mode; otherwise exits. Close any open TELNET session and exit An end of file (in command mode) will also close a session and exit. Suspend If is run from a shell that supports job control, (such as csh(1) or ksh(1)), the command suspends the TELNET session and returns the user to the shell that invoked Then the job can be resumed by using the command (see csh(1) or ksh(1)). Change user input mode to mode, which can be (for "character at a time" mode) or (for "line by line" mode). The remote host is asked for permission to go into the requested mode. If the remote host is capable of entering that mode, the requested mode is entered. In mode, sends each character to the remote host as it is typed. In mode, gathers user input into lines and transmits each line to the remote host when the user types carriage return, linefeed, or EOF (normally see stty(1)). Note: Setting line-mode also sets local echo. Applications that expect to interpret user input character by character (such as and do not work properly in line mode. Show current status of reports the current escape character. If is connected, it reports the host to which it is connected and the current If is not connected to a remote host, it reports Once has been connected, it reports the local flow control toggle value. Displays all or some of the and values (see below). Get help. With no arguments, prints a help summary. If a command is specified, prints the help information available about that com- mand only. Help information is limited to a one-line description of the command. Shell escape. The environment variable is checked for the name of a shell to use to execute the command. If no shell_command is speci- fied, a shell is started and connected to the user's terminal. If is undefined, is used. Sends one or more special character sequences to the remote host. Each argument can have any of the following values (multiple arguments can be specified with each command): Sends the current escape character (initially Sends the TELNET SYNCH sequence. This sequence causes the remote system to discard all previously typed (but not yet read) input. This sequence is sent as TCP urgent data (and may not work to some systems -- if it doesn't work, a lower case ``r'' may be echoed on the terminal). Sends the TELNET BRK (Break) sequence, which may have significance to the remote system. Sends the TELNET IP (Interrupt Process) sequence, which should cause the remote system to abort the currently running process. Sends the TELNET AO (Abort Output) sequence, which should cause the remote system to flush all output from the remote system to the user's terminal. Sends the TELNET AYT (Are You There) sequence, to which the remote system may or may not choose to respond. Sends the TELNET EC (Erase Character) sequence, which should cause the remote system to erase the last character entered. Sends the TELNET EL (Erase Line) sequence, which should cause the remote system to erase the line currently being entered. Sends the TELNET GA (Go Ahead) sequence, which is likely to have no significance to the remote system. Sends the TELNET NOP (No OPeration) sequence. Prints out help information for the command. Set any of the variables to a specific value. The special value turns off the function associated with the variable. The values of vari- ables can be shown by using the command. The following variable_names can be specified: This is the value (initially which, toggles between doing local echoing of entered characters (for normal processing), and suppressing echoing of entered characters (for entering, for example, a password) in line-by-line mode. This is the escape character (initially that causes entry into command mode (when connected to a remote system). If is in mode (see below) and the interrupt character is typed, a TELNET IP sequence (see above) is sent to the remote host. The initial value for the interrupt character is taken to be the terminal's character. If is in mode (see below) and the character is typed, a TELNET BRK sequence (see above) is sent to the remote host. The initial value for the quit character is taken to be the terminal's character. If is in mode (see below) and the character is typed, a TELNET AO sequence (see above) is sent to the remote host. The initial value for the flush character is If is in mode (see below), if is operating in character-at-a-time mode, then when this character is typed, a TELNET EC sequence (see above) is sent to the remote system. The initial value for the erase character is taken to be the terminal's character. If is in mode (see below), if is operating in character-at-a-time mode, then when this character is typed, a TELNET EL sequence (see above) is sent to the remote system. The initial value for the kill character is taken to be the terminal's character. If is operating in line-by-line mode, entering this character as the first character on a line causes this character to be sent to the remote system. The initial value of the character is taken to be the terminal's character. Toggle (between TRUE and FALSE ) various flags that control how responds to events. More than one argument can be specified. The state of these flags can be shown by using the command. Valid arguments are: If TRUE, the and characters (see above) are recognized locally, and transformed into appropriate TELNET control sequences (respectively and see above). The initial value for this toggle is in line-by-line mode, and in charac- ter-at-a-time mode. If and are both TRUE, whenever the or characters are recognized (and transformed into TELNET sequences - see above for details), refuses to display any data on the user's terminal until the remote system acknowledges (via a TEL- NET Timing Mark option) that it has processed those TELNET sequences. The initial value for this toggle is TRUE. This flag is available only in a secure environment based on Kerberos V5. Enable or disable automatic login into the Kerberos realm. Using this option yields the same results as using the option. The initial value for this toggle is TRUE. If and are both TRUE, when either the or character is typed (see above for descriptions of the and characters), the resulting TELNET sequence sent is followed by the TELNET SYNCH sequence. This procedure causes the remote system to begin discarding all previously typed input until both of the TELNET sequences have been read and acted upon. The initial value of this toggle is FALSE. Enable or disable the TELNET BINARY option on both input and output. This option should be enabled in order to send and receive 8-bit characters to and from the TELNET server. If TRUE, end-of-line sequences are sent as an ASCII carriage-return and line-feed pair. If FALSE, end-of-line sequences are sent as an ASCII carriage-return and NUL character pair. The initial value for this toggle is FALSE. Toggle carriage return mode. When this mode is enabled, any carriage return characters received from the remote host are mapped into a carriage return and a line feed. This mode does not affect those characters typed by the user; only those received. This mode is only required for some hosts that require the client to do local echoing, but output ``naked'' carriage returns. The initial value for this toggle is FALSE. Toggle local echo mode or remote echo mode. In local echo mode, user input is echoed to the terminal by the local before being transmitted to the remote host. In remote echo, any echoing of user input is done by the remote host. Applications that handle echoing of user input themselves, such as C shell, Korn shell, and (see csh(1), ksh(1), and vi(1)), do not work correctly with local echo. Toggle viewing of TELNET options processing. When options viewing is enabled, all TELNET option negotiations are displayed. Options sent by are displayed as while options received from the TELNET server are displayed as The initial value for this toggle is FALSE. Toggles the display of all network data (in hexadecimal format). The initial value for this toggle is FALSE. Displays the legal commands. RETURN VALUE
In the event of an error, or if the TELNET connection is closed by the remote host, returns a value of Otherwise, it returns DIAGNOSTICS
The following diagnostic messages are displayed by There are two authentication mechanisms used by TELNET. One authentication mechanism is based on Kerberos and the other is not. The type of authentication mechanism is obtained from a system file, which is updated by If the system file on either the local host or the remote host does not contain known authentication types, the above error is displayed. was unable to find the TELNET service entry in the services(4) database. was unable to map the host name to an Internet address. Your next step should be to contact the system administrator to check whether there is an entry for the remote host in the database (see hosts(4)). An invalid command was typed in command mode. An error occurred in the specified system call. See the appropriate manual entry for a description of the error. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), login(1), rlogin(1), stty(1), telnetd(1M), inetsvcs_sec(1M), hosts(4), krb5.conf(4), services(4), sis(5), termio(7). telnet(1)