Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to Enable TELNET for root user Post 302135286 by lostboy1970 on Friday 7th of September 2007 08:01:54 AM
Old 09-07-2007
Now before getting into the details of how to configure Red Hat Linux for root logins, keep in mind that this is VERY BAD security. Make sure that you NEVER configure your production servers for this type of login.

Configure Telnet for root logins

Simply edit the file /etc/securetty and add the following to the end of the file:

pts/0
pts/1
pts/2
pts/3
pts/4
pts/5
pts/6
pts/7
pts/8
pts/9

This will allow up to 10 telnet sessions to the server as root.

Configure FTP for root logins

Edit the files /etc/vsftpd.ftpusers and /etc/vsftpd.user_list and remove the 'root' line from each file.

source: Configuring Telnet/FTP to login as root (Linux)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Enable locked root account

Hi Every one I disable the root account entering wrong password for many time How can I enable the root account I am using Tru64 Unix V4.0G Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syed_45
2 Replies

2. Linux

ftp telnet enable

hi , i have jsut installed linux 9.0 , but i can not ftp or telnet to the system . i have installed the ftp and the telnet server during installation . i have also configured the files to enable the ftp and telnet , the ftp and the telnet daemons are running , but when i do ftp : ftp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Am not able to login as a root User with telnet

Hi to All, I have configured telnet service in my server but am not able to login with root user in Linux Servers. For that what can i do ? Please help me Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

4. Solaris

SSH enable, Telnet disable ...

Hi... How do I enable SSH and disable telnet.. Also - is there anything special I need to do to ensure that a new user can use ssh and su but not telnet? Adel (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
15 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Enable SSH for root over certain network connection of a server...is it possible?

Hi - I have a SUSE Enterprise Linux Server V9 that I have an issue with. Policy says that root connectivity via ssh needs to be disabled. So, to do that, I made the following change in the sshd_config section: # Authentication: #LoginGraceTime 2m #PermitRootLogin yes PermitRootLogin no... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
3 Replies

6. Linux

how to root gui login enable

hi iam installed mandriva spring 2009 iam unble to login into gui using root how to enable it where the settings are stored (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10

I am not able to get ftp working for Solaris 10 for root user. I am getting login failed error. 331 Password required for root. Password: 530 Login incorrect. Login failed. Tried following things already. 1. SFTP works ok, still would like to know why FTP is not working (curious). 2.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: webkid
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Enable telnet as root to 11.31 non-trusted system?

I have a new box that was set up for me and I want to allow telnet to the box as root. I know that it's not secure but due to the nature of what I test I need an easy and reliable way back in if I've messed up the other connection methods(SSH). This is in a protected lab environment. Eventually... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies
telnet(1c)																telnet(1c)

Name
       telnet - user interface to the TELNET protocol

Syntax
       telnet [host[port]]

Description
       The interface is used to communicate with another host using the TELNET protocol.  If is invoked without arguments, it enters command mode,
       which is indicated by the prompt, telnet>.  In this mode, accepts and executes the commands listed below.  If it is invoked with arguments,
       it performs an open command (see below) with those arguments.

Once a connection is opened, enters input mode.	The input mode is either character-at-a-time or line-by-line, depending on what the remote
       system supports.  In character-at-a-time mode, text is sent to the remote host as it is	typed.	 In  line-by-line  mode,  text	is  echoed
       locally	and  only  completed lines are sent to the remote host.  The local-echo-character, initially ^E.  turns the local echo on and off,
       which is useful when you want to enter passwords without them echoing to the screen.

In either mode, if the localchars toggle is TRUE (the default in line mode), then the user's quit, intr, and flush characters  are  trapped
       locally	and  sent  as  TELNET protocol sequences to the remote side.  Options such as toggle autoflush and toggle autosynch flush previous
       terminal input, as in quit and intr, in addition to flushing subsequent output to the terminal until the remote host acknowledges the  TEL-
       NET sequence.

To  issue  commands when in input mode, precede them with the escape character, initially the control character followed by a right bracket
       (^]).  When in command mode, use the normal terminal editing conventions.

The following commands are available:

open host [ port ]
		      Opens a connection to the named host.  If no port number is specified, attempts to contact a TELNET server  at  the  default
		      port.   The  host specification may be either a host name or an Internet address specified in the dot notation.  For further
		      information, see and

close	      Closes a TELNET session and returns to command mode.

quit	      Closes any open TELNET session and exits

z	      Suspends This command only works when the user is using the

mode type      The type is either line, for line-by-line mode, or character, for character-at-a-time mode.  The local host asks the  remote
		      host for permission to go into one or the other mode.  The remote host enters the requested mode if it is capable of it.

status	      Shows the current status of This includes the peer one is connected to, as well as the state of debugging.

display [ argument... ]
		      Displays all, or some, of the set and toggle values (see below).

? [ command ]
		      Accesses	on-line  help.	 With no arguments, prints a help summary.  If a command is specified, prints the help information
		      for that command.

send argument(s)
		      Sends one or more special character sequences to the remote host.  One or more of the following arguments can be specified:

escape
			     Sends the current escape character (initially the control character followed by a right bracket, ^]).

synch
			     Sends the TELNET SYNCH sequence.  This sequence causes the remote system to discard input that was previously entered
			     but  that	it  has not yet read.  This sequence is sent as TCP urgent data and may not work if the remote system is a
			     4.2 BSD system.  If it does not work, a lower case r may be echoed on the terminal screen.

brk
			     Sends the TELNET BRK (Break) sequence, which may have significance to the remote system.

ip
			     Sends the TELNET IP (Interrupt Process) sequence, which causes the remote	system	to  abort  the	currently  running
			     process.

ao
			     Sends  the TELNET AO (Abort Output) sequence, which causes the remote system to flush all output from the remote sys-
			     tem to the user's terminal.

ayt
			     Sends the TELNET AYT (Are You There) sequence.  The remote system may or may not respond.

ec
			     Sends the TELNET EC (Erase Character) sequence, which causes the remote system to erase the last character entered.

el
			     Sends the TELNET EL (Erase Line) sequence, which causes the remote system to erase the line currently being entered.

ga
			     Sends the TELNET GA (Go Ahead) sequence.  Often this sequence has no significance to the remote system.

nop
			     Sends the TELNET NOP (No OPeration) sequence.

?
			     Prints out help information for the send command.

set argument value
		      Sets a variable to a specific value.  The off value turns off the function associated with the variable.	The current values
		      of variables can be displayed with the display command.

The following variables that can be specified:

echo
		     Toggles between local echoing of entered characters, and suppressing echoing of entered characters when in line-by-line mode.
		     The value	is initially ^E.

escape
		     Enters the command mode when you are connected to a remote system.  The value is initially the control character followed	by
		     a left bracket (^[).

interrupt
		     Sends  a TELNET IP sequence (see send ip above) to the remote host if is in localchars mode (see toggle localchars below) and
		     the interrupt character is typed.	The initial value for the interrupt character is the terminal's intr character.

quit
		     Sends a TELNET BRK sequence (see send brk above) to the remote host if is in localchars mode (see	toggle	localchars  below)
		     and the quit character is typed.  The initial value for the quit character is the terminal's quit character.

flushoutput
		     Sends  a  TELNET  AO  sequence  (see send ao above) to the remote host if telnet is in localchars mode (see toggle localchars
		     below) and the flushoutput character is typed.  The initial value for the flush character is the terminal's flush character.

erase
		     Sends a TELNET EC sequence (see send ec above) to the remote system if telnet is in localchars mode  (see	toggle	localchars
		     below),  and  if  telnet is operating in character-at-time mode.  The initial value for the erase character is the terminal's
		     erase character.

kill
		     Sends a TELNET EL sequence (see send el above) to the remote system if is in localchars mode (see	toggle	localchars  below)
		     and if is operating in character-at-a-time mode.  The initial value for the kill character is the terminal's kill character.

eof
		     Sends  this  character  to  the remote system if is operating in line-by-line mode and this character is entered as the first
		     character on a line.  The initial value of the eof character is the terminal's eof character.

toggle arguments...
	      Toggles (between TRUE and FALSE) flags that control how responds to events.  More than one argument may be specified and the current
	      value of these flags can be displayed with the display command.  Valid arguments for the command are the following:

localchars
		     Causes  the flush, interrupt, quit, erase, and kill characters to be recognized locally and transformed into appropriate TEL-
		     NET control sequences if this flag is set to TRUE.  (See set above).  The appropriate TELNET control sequences are:  ao,  ip,
		     brk,  ec, and el, respectively.  For more information see the command.  The initial value for this toggle is TRUE in line-by-
		     line mode, and FALSE in character-at-a-time mode.

autoflush
		     Causes the command to not display any data on the user's terminal until the remote system acknowledges (via a  TELNET  Timing
		     Mark  option)  that  it  recognized  and  processed  the  following  TELNET sequences: ao, intr, or quit.	Both autoflush and
		     localchars must be TRUE for autoflush to work in this manner.  The initial value for this toggle is TRUE if the terminal user
		     did not specify Otherwise it is FALSE.  For further information, see

autosynch
		     Causes  the  TELNET  SYNCH sequence to follow the TELNET sequence that is initiated when either the intr or quit character is
		     typed.  The autosynch flag works in this manner when both the autosynch and localchars are TRUE.  This procedure should cause
		     the  remote  system  to  begin throwing away all previously typed input until both of the TELNET sequences have been read and
		     acted upon.  The initial value of this toggle is FALSE.

crmod
		     Toggles carriage return mode.  When this mode is enabled, most carriage return characters received from the remote  host  are
		     mapped  into  a  carriage	return followed by a line feed.  It is useful only when the remote host sends carriage returns but
		     never line feeds.	The initial value for this toggle is FALSE.

debug
		     Toggles socket level debugging which is useful only to the superuser.  The initial value for this toggle is FALSE.

options
		     Toggles the display of internal protocol processing that deals with TELNET options.  The initial value  for  this	toggle	is
		     FALSE.

netdata
		     Toggles the display of all network data (in hexadecimal format).  The initial value for this toggle is FALSE.

?
		     Displays the legal toggle commands.

Restrictions
       In  line-by-line  mode,	the  terminal's EOF character is only recognized and sent to the remote system when it is the first character on a
       line.

telnet(1c)