Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to check for hidden file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check for hidden file Post 302135080 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 5th of September 2007 10:15:34 PM
Old 09-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynon
Hi Perderabo,

Can i find out where is the hidden file / or alias / or function is placed?

$ ls -las
total 16
8 drwxrwxrwx 2 zzz yyy 4096 Apr 26 12:00 ./
8 drwxrwxrwx 9 zzz yyy 4096 Jul 31 16:59 ../
$

The 16 blocks refers to the parent directory (..).

Many versions of ls have the -A option as well as -a; try that:

Code:
$ ls -las
total 1972
   4 drwxrwxr-x   2 chris chris    4096 Sep  5 22:09 .
1968 drwx------  11 chris wheel 2011136 Sep  5 22:09 ..
$ ls -lAs
total 0

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File and Directory Names become hidden

Something very weird has been happening when I'm creating files and directories. When I create a directory, at times depending on the directory name and depth, it becomes hidden and can only be seen typing "ls -a". When I say the name of the directory matters, "my_c++" will be hidden but using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbinsol1
10 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Make a Hidden File

How to make a file Hidden whose name does not starts with . (dot) (sorry i am beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to make a file Hidden

Please tell me how to make a file hidden whose name is not starting with (.) dot ( Sorry I am Biginer) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating a hidden file

it seems one of my server's account was compromised. I caught a perl script running a hack/attack script: 20:23 /usr/bin/perl ./up **.**.**.** 0 120 I've disabled the user etc, but I cannot find the script "up" anywhere in the server. I tried using locate or find. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl scripting help for hidden file

Hi There, Can anyone please let me know, how to write hidden file in perl? I tried opning hidden file in write mode but its failing to create it. Appreciate your help in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps_tech
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
MTBL_INFO(1)															      MTBL_INFO(1)

NAME
mtbl_info - display information about an MTBL file SYNOPSIS
mtbl_info FILE [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
mtbl_info(1) displays the following information about the MTBL files specified on the command line. file name -- the name of the MTBL file. file size -- the total size of the MTBL file, in bytes. index bytes -- the total number of bytes and proportion of the total file size consumed by the index. data block bytes -- the total number of bytes and proportion of the total file size consumed by data blocks. data block size -- the maximum size of an uncompressed data block. data block count -- the total number of data blocks. entry count -- the total number of key-value entries. key bytes -- the total number of bytes that all keys in the file would occupy if stored end-to-end in a byte array with no delimiters. value bytes -- the total number of bytes that all values in the file would occupy if stored end-to-end in a byte array with no delimiters. compression algorithm -- the algorithm used to compress data blocks. Possible values are "none", "snappy" and "zlib". compactness -- a rough metric comparing the total number of bytes in the key-value entries with the total size of the MTBL file. It is calculated as (file size) / (key bytes + value bytes), and thus takes into account the gains of data block compression and prefix key compression against the overhead of the index, trailer, and data block offset arrays. 05/29/2012 MTBL_INFO(1)