Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to check for hidden file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check for hidden file Post 302135034 by Perderabo on Wednesday 5th of September 2007 07:54:21 AM
Old 09-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by namishtiwari

total 16 means the directory is taking 16 blocks of memory.
Almost. Smilie The 16 means that all of the entries add up to 16. There are two entries, one for the parent directory and one for the current directory. Each of these directories is using 8 blocks. If this directory was removed only 8 blocks would be recovered. The parent directory would continue to exist and continue to consume the other 8 blocks. You can see the 8 in the original directory listing posted above. Although the user seems to have entered the command "ls -la", we see the result that we would get with "ls -las". I guess an alias or a function is in use providing that s switch.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File and Directory Names become hidden

Something very weird has been happening when I'm creating files and directories. When I create a directory, at times depending on the directory name and depth, it becomes hidden and can only be seen typing "ls -a". When I say the name of the directory matters, "my_c++" will be hidden but using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbinsol1
10 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Make a Hidden File

How to make a file Hidden whose name does not starts with . (dot) (sorry i am beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to make a file Hidden

Please tell me how to make a file hidden whose name is not starting with (.) dot ( Sorry I am Biginer) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating a hidden file

it seems one of my server's account was compromised. I caught a perl script running a hack/attack script: 20:23 /usr/bin/perl ./up **.**.**.** 0 120 I've disabled the user etc, but I cannot find the script "up" anywhere in the server. I tried using locate or find. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl scripting help for hidden file

Hi There, Can anyone please let me know, how to write hidden file in perl? I tried opning hidden file in write mode but its failing to create it. Appreciate your help in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps_tech
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
ZPRINT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 ZPRINT(1)

NAME
zprint - show information about kernel zones SYNOPSIS
zprint [-w] [-s] [-c] [-h] [-t] [-d] [-p <pid>][name] DESCRIPTION
zprint(1) displays data about Mach zones. By default, zprint will print out information about all Mach zones. If the optional name is specified, zprint will print information about each zone for which name is a substring of the zone's name. zprint interprets the following options: -c (Default) zprint prints zone info in columns. Long zone names are truncated with '$', and spaces are replaced with '.', to allow for sorting by column. Pageable and collectible zones are shown with 'P' and 'C' on the far right. Zones with preposterously large maximum sizes are shown with '----' in the max size and max num elts fields. -h (Default) Shows headings for the columns printed with the -c option. It may be useful to override this option when sorting by col- umn. -s zprint sorts the zones, showing the zone wasting the most memory first. -w For each zone, zprint calculates how much space is allocated but not currently in use, the space wasted by the zone. -t For each zone, zprint calculates the total size of allocations from the zone over the life of the zone. -d Display deltas over time, showing any zones that have achieved a new maximum current allocation size during the interval. If the total allocation sizes are being displayed for the zones in question, it will also display the deltas if the total allocations have doubled. -p <pid> Display zone usage related to the specified process id. Each zone will display standard columns and the amount of memory from that zone associated with a given process. The letter "A" in the flags column indicates that this total is being accounted to the process. Otherwise, the total is an indication of the influence the process has on the kernel, but the memory is being accounted to the kernel proper. Any option (including default options) can be overridden by specifying the option in upper-case; for example, -C overrides the (default) option -c. 02/12/09 ZPRINT(1)