Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to check for hidden file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check for hidden file Post 302135034 by Perderabo on Wednesday 5th of September 2007 07:54:21 AM
Old 09-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by namishtiwari

total 16 means the directory is taking 16 blocks of memory.
Almost. Smilie The 16 means that all of the entries add up to 16. There are two entries, one for the parent directory and one for the current directory. Each of these directories is using 8 blocks. If this directory was removed only 8 blocks would be recovered. The parent directory would continue to exist and continue to consume the other 8 blocks. You can see the 8 in the original directory listing posted above. Although the user seems to have entered the command "ls -la", we see the result that we would get with "ls -las". I guess an alias or a function is in use providing that s switch.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File and Directory Names become hidden

Something very weird has been happening when I'm creating files and directories. When I create a directory, at times depending on the directory name and depth, it becomes hidden and can only be seen typing "ls -a". When I say the name of the directory matters, "my_c++" will be hidden but using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbinsol1
10 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Make a Hidden File

How to make a file Hidden whose name does not starts with . (dot) (sorry i am beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to make a file Hidden

Please tell me how to make a file hidden whose name is not starting with (.) dot ( Sorry I am Biginer) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating a hidden file

it seems one of my server's account was compromised. I caught a perl script running a hack/attack script: 20:23 /usr/bin/perl ./up **.**.**.** 0 120 I've disabled the user etc, but I cannot find the script "up" anywhere in the server. I tried using locate or find. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl scripting help for hidden file

Hi There, Can anyone please let me know, how to write hidden file in perl? I tried opning hidden file in write mode but its failing to create it. Appreciate your help in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps_tech
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
ICHECK(1M)																ICHECK(1M)

NAME
icheck - file system storage consistency check SYNOPSIS
icheck [ -s ] [ -b numbers ] [ filesystem ] DESCRIPTION
Icheck examines a file system, builds a bit map of used blocks, and compares this bit map against the free list maintained on the file sys- tem. If the file system is not specified, a set of default file systems is checked. The normal output of icheck includes a report of The total number of files and the numbers of regular, directory, block special and character special files. The total number of blocks in use and the numbers of single-, double-, and triple-indirect blocks and directory blocks. The number of free blocks. The number of blocks missing; i.e. not in any file nor in the free list. The -s option causes icheck to ignore the actual free list and reconstruct a new one by rewriting the super-block of the file system. The file system should be dismounted while this is done; if this is not possible (for example if the root file system has to be salvaged) care should be taken that the system is quiescent and that it is rebooted immediately afterwards so that the old, bad in-core copy of the super- block will not continue to be used. Notice also that the words in the super-block which indicate the size of the free list and of the i- list are believed. If the super-block has been curdled these words will have to be patched. The -s option causes the normal output reports to be suppressed. Following the -b option is a list of block numbers; whenever any of the named blocks turns up in a file, a diagnostic is produced. Icheck is faster if the raw version of the special file is used, since it reads the i-list many blocks at a time. FILES
Default file systems vary with installation. SEE ALSO
dcheck(1), ncheck(1), filsys(5), clri(1) DIAGNOSTICS
For duplicate blocks and bad blocks (which lie outside the file system) icheck announces the difficulty, the i-number, and the kind of block involved. If a read error is encountered, the block number of the bad block is printed and icheck considers it to contain 0. `Bad freeblock' means that a block number outside the available space was encountered in the free list. `n dups in free' means that n blocks were found in the free list which duplicate blocks either in some file or in the earlier part of the free list. BUGS
Since icheck is inherently two-pass in nature, extraneous diagnostics may be produced if applied to active file systems. It believes even preposterous super-blocks and consequently can get core images. ICHECK(1M)