Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to check for hidden file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check for hidden file Post 302135017 by namishtiwari on Wednesday 5th of September 2007 06:06:10 AM
Old 09-05-2007
the hidden files start with a . like
.raynon
.asdf
.dfhg

these are hidden files.If you want to see this you have to put
ls -al

it will show u all the files including the hidden files.
But the first two lines that is
./
../

they shows the link to current directory and the parent directory respectively.when we create a directory these two links are created automatically.

total 16 means the directory is taking 16 blocks of memory.

Thanks
Namish

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File and Directory Names become hidden

Something very weird has been happening when I'm creating files and directories. When I create a directory, at times depending on the directory name and depth, it becomes hidden and can only be seen typing "ls -a". When I say the name of the directory matters, "my_c++" will be hidden but using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbinsol1
10 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Make a Hidden File

How to make a file Hidden whose name does not starts with . (dot) (sorry i am beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to make a file Hidden

Please tell me how to make a file hidden whose name is not starting with (.) dot ( Sorry I am Biginer) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating a hidden file

it seems one of my server's account was compromised. I caught a perl script running a hack/attack script: 20:23 /usr/bin/perl ./up **.**.**.** 0 120 I've disabled the user etc, but I cannot find the script "up" anywhere in the server. I tried using locate or find. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl scripting help for hidden file

Hi There, Can anyone please let me know, how to write hidden file in perl? I tried opning hidden file in write mode but its failing to create it. Appreciate your help in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps_tech
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
mkatfs(1)							    ShapeTools								 mkatfs(1)

NAME
mkatfs - create and configure AtFS object repository and derived object cache SYNOPSIS
mkatfs [-cAmax_cached_per_cacheattr] [-cNmax_cached_per_name] [-cTmax_total_cached] [-cQ] [-ggroup] [-h] [-lpath] [-mmode] [-v] pathnames DESCRIPTION
mkatfs may be used to create an AtFS object repository, to link an existing repository, to configure a repository, or to set the size attributes of an derived object cache. It applies to all directories occurring in the pathnames list. If the list is empty, mkatfs performs its action in the current directory. Creating an AtFS object repository makes a directory named AtFS with several files and subdirectories in it. The -l option causes mkatfs to link an existing AtFS repository to the current directory (or the directories in the pathnames list). The -l option expects a pathname to a directory containing an AtFS repository or a link to an AtFS repository (links may be chained) as argu- ment. When linking a repository, mkatfs either creates a symbolic link or, if symbolic links are not available on your system, a file con- taining the name of the target directory. The latter will be interpreted by AtFS like a symbolic link. Configuring an AtFS repository means, that the group and the protection may be changed. These operations perform a chgrp(1) and a chmod(1) operation on the AtFS directory and all its subdirectories. The -cT, -cN, and -cA options set the size of the derived object cache in the created AtFS object repository. You may set the maximum total number (cT) of derived files to be stored, the maximum number of derived files per name (cN) and the maximum number of derived files with the same name and the same caching attribute (cA). The relationship of the three values must always be cT >= cN >= cA. For more information on that topic check the cacheadm(1) manual page. The -cQ option queries the actual settings for the derived object cache size. OPTIONS
-cA max_cached_per_cacheattr Set the maximum number of derived files with the same name and the same caching attribute to be stored. Default is 1. -cN max_cached_per_name Set the maximum number of derived files with the same name to be stored. Default is 3. -cT max_total_cached Set the total maximum number of derived files to be stored in the derived object cache. Default is 64. -g group Set the group id of the generated directory to group (see chgrp(1)). -h Display help message. -l path Create an AtFS directory entry by setting a symbolic link to an existing AtFS object repository, rather than creating a new (empty) one. On System V machines, a file containing the target directory name will be generated. The AtFS functions will interpret this as surrogate for a symbolic link. -m mode Set the mode of all generated directories to mode (see chmod(1)). -v Output version identification string. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), chmod(1), atfsrepair(1), af_cache(3) AUTHOR
Andreas.Lampen@cs.tu-berlin.de AtFS-1.71 Mon Aug 8 13:28:26 1994 mkatfs(1)