Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to boot in single user mode Post 302133376 by namishtiwari on Thursday 23rd of August 2007 06:24:51 AM
Old 08-23-2007
MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiva_arul
Hi Namishiri,

That's fine how can i use the fg and bg command? can you give one example.

suppose 10 process are running in Background and 5 process are runnit into foreground. Now i wanted to retreive on background process to foreground.

How can i do...?

Any one help me.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
Siva.P
Bangalore

Understand it like this---

suppose you have to build your application or have to compile a big code that will take plenty of time.

put the commands to compile or build the code,then press ctrl-Z,this will take you to background and the process will stop.

if you put a command --
jobs -l

it will show you the job number of the commands in the background,if there is only one command in the background then put only bg at the command prompt it will start the process in the background.or if there are multiple jobs running then put the job numbers associated with the command which you want to run in background.
Meanwhile you can The window is for you,you can do so many things there.

If you want to take your jobs again running in the main window put fg wioth the job number.Make a try of all this and let me know any doubts.

Thanks
Namish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

5. AIX

Boot in Single-Mode

Hi All, I have AIX 5.1 & I forgot the root password. I find out the solution is to boot in single-mode and remove the root password from the /etc/passwd file. My question is how to boot in single-mode? Also is there any password required when booting in this mode? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Single user mode?

How to enter single user mode when UNIX/LINUX system is starting? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Cannot boot in single-user mode

I have Sun 240 server with Solaris 8 installed. I go to OBP and try to boot in single-user mode but it is getting hung in the middle and the only way to get out of this situation is by going to the LOM and resetting the server. Here is what is happening: {0} ok boot -s SC Alert: Host System... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
18 Replies

9. Solaris

Boot on single user mode with net services

Hi everybody, I'm running soalris 10, and I would like to know if it posible to boot on single user mode(init s), and then set up (may be manually or not) all the networks services, did someone try this before?? Tks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jespada
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies
SULOGIN(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						SULOGIN(8)

NAME
sulogin - Single-user login SYNOPSIS
sulogin [ -e ] [ -p ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ TTY ] DESCRIPTION
sulogin is invoked by init(8) when the system goes into single user mode. (This is done through an entry in inittab(5).) Init also tries to execute sulogin when the boot loader (e.g., grub(8)) passes it the -b option. The user is prompted Give root password for system maintenance (or type Control-D for normal startup): If the root account is locked, as is the default on Ubuntu, no password prompt is displayed and sulogin behaves as if the correct password were entered. sulogin will be connected to the current terminal, or to the optional device that can be specified on the command line (typically /dev/con- sole). If the -t option is used then the program only waits the given number of seconds for user input. If the -p option is used then the single-user shell is invoked with a dash as the first character in argv[0]. This causes the shell process to behave as a login shell. The default is not to do this, so that the shell will not read /etc/profile or $HOME/.profile at startup. After the user exits the single-user shell, or presses control-D at the prompt, the system will (continue to) boot to the default runlevel. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
sulogin looks for the environment variable SUSHELL or sushell to determine what shell to start. If the environment variable is not set, it will try to execute root's shell from /etc/passwd. If that fails it will fall back to /bin/sh. This is very valuable together with the -b option to init. To boot the system into single user mode, with the root file system mounted read/write, using a special "fail safe" shell that is statically linked (this example is valid for the LILO bootprompt) boot: linux -b rw sushell=/sbin/sash FALLBACK METHODS
sulogin checks the root password using the standard method (getpwnam) first. Then, if the -e option was specified, sulogin examines these files directly to find the root password: /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow (if present) If they are damaged or nonexistent, sulogin will start a root shell without asking for a password. Only use the -e option if you are sure the console is physically protected against unauthorized access. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). 17 Jan 2006 SULOGIN(8)