Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count the number of files in a directory Post 302132241 by Raynon on Thursday 16th of August 2007 03:44:54 AM
Old 08-16-2007
Hi vgersh99,

Thanks it works!
If i want to find the number of *sorts file in a directory, what would be the modification needed to the code?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in subdirectories

Hello, I am new to unix and would like to have a count of all the files in the current directory as well as all the files in a subdirectory. The command I used was ls -R | wc -l but the number returned wasn't correct. Can someone please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeverly
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of files in a directory

what's the script to do that? i want to only count the number of files in that directory, not including any sub directories at all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of files starting with a pattern in a Directory

Hi! In our current directory there are around 35000 files. Out of these a few thousands(around 20000) start with, "testfiles9842323879838". I want to count the number of files that have filenames starting with the above pattern. Please help me with the command i could use. Thank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of subset of files in a directory

hi I am trying to write a script to count the number of files, with slightly different subset name, in a directory for example, in directory /data, there are a subset of files that are name as follow /data/data_1_(1to however many).txt /data/data_2_(1 to however many).txt... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of files

Hi All! I need to have a script that counts the number of files arriving in a landing directory, them some app pick these files to be processed and load to a DB. But this process is so fast that I am not able to count all the files arriving on a landing directory. Please can you help? My... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of pattern matches per line for all files in directory

I have a directory of files, each with a variable (though small) number of lines. I would like to go through each line in each file, and print the: -file name -line number -number of matches to the pattern /comp/ for each line. Two example files: cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies
sortm(1mh)																sortm(1mh)

Name
       sortm - sort messages

Syntax
       sortm [ msgs ] [ +folder ] [ options ]

Description
       The command sorts all the messages in the current folder into chronological order according to the contents of the Date: fields of the mes-
       sages.

By default, sorts all the messages in the current folder.  You can select particular messages in the folder by giving a range of  messages.
       You can also sort messages in another folder by specifying the folder name.

If  encounters  a  message without a Date: field, or if the message has a Date: field that cannot parse, it attempts to keep the message in
       the same relative position.  However, this does not always work; for instance, if the first message encountered lacks a date which  can	be
       parsed, then it will usually be placed at the end of the messages being sorted.

When complains about a message which it cannot order, it complains about the message number prior to sorting.

Options
       -datefield field
		 Specifies the name of the header field to use when making the date comparison.  If you have a special field in each message, such
		 as Delivery-Date:, then the -datefield switch can be used to tell which field to examine.  If you do not give	this  option,  the
		 default is to use the Date: header field.

-help	 Prints a list of all the valid options to this command.

-verbose
       -noverbose
		 Displays the general actions that it is taking to place the folder in sorted order.  The -noverbose option performs these actions
		 silently.  The default is -noverbose.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -datefield date
	      -noverbose

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine your MH directory

Examples
       The following example sorts all the messages in the folder
       % sortm +meetings

The next example sorts messages 10-30 in the folder called