Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count the number of files in a directory Post 302132227 by Raynon on Thursday 16th of August 2007 02:32:16 AM
Old 08-16-2007
Count the number of files in a directory

Hi All,

How do i find out the number of files in a directory using unix command ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in subdirectories

Hello, I am new to unix and would like to have a count of all the files in the current directory as well as all the files in a subdirectory. The command I used was ls -R | wc -l but the number returned wasn't correct. Can someone please help? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeverly
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of files in a directory

what's the script to do that? i want to only count the number of files in that directory, not including any sub directories at all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory

how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory using perl script.. I mean if I have 10 files under a directory then I want to count the total number of lines of all the 10 files contain. Please help me in writing a perl script on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityam
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of files starting with a pattern in a Directory

Hi! In our current directory there are around 35000 files. Out of these a few thousands(around 20000) start with, "testfiles9842323879838". I want to count the number of files that have filenames starting with the above pattern. Please help me with the command i could use. Thank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of subset of files in a directory

hi I am trying to write a script to count the number of files, with slightly different subset name, in a directory for example, in directory /data, there are a subset of files that are name as follow /data/data_1_(1to however many).txt /data/data_2_(1 to however many).txt... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of files

Hi All! I need to have a script that counts the number of files arriving in a landing directory, them some app pick these files to be processed and load to a DB. But this process is so fast that I am not able to count all the files arriving on a landing directory. Please can you help? My... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of pattern matches per line for all files in directory

I have a directory of files, each with a variable (though small) number of lines. I would like to go through each line in each file, and print the: -file name -line number -number of matches to the pattern /comp/ for each line. Two example files: cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies
uucp(1c)																  uucp(1c)

Name
       uucp, uulog, uuname - unix to unix copy

Syntax
       uucp [option...] source-file...	destination-file

uulog [option...]

uuname [option...]

Description
       The  command  copies  files  named by the source-file arguments to the destination-file argument.  A file name either may be a path name on
       your machine or may have the form

system-name!pathname

where `system-name' is taken from a list of system names which knows about.  Shell metacharacters ?*[] appearing in the pathname part  will
       be expanded on the appropriate system.

Pathnames  may  be  a  full  pathname, a pathname preceded by ~user, where user is a userid on the specified system and is replaced by that
       user's login directory, or anything else prefixed by the current directory.

If the result is an erroneous pathname for the remote system, the copy will fail.  If the destination-file is a directory, the last part of
       the  source-file  name is used.	If a simple ~user destination is inaccessible to data is copied to a spool directory and the user is noti-
       fied by

The command preserves execute permissions across the transmission and gives 0666 read and write permissions.  For further information, see

Options
       The following options are interpreted by

-d Creates all necessary directories for the file copy.

-c Uses the source file when copying out rather than copying the file to the spool directory.

-m Sends you mail when the copy is complete.

-nrec
	  Sends mail to the recipient.

-W Expands only local files.  Normally files names are prepended with the current working directory if a full path is not  specified.   The
	  -W tells to expand local files only.

The command prints a summary of and transactions that were recorded in the file

The options cause to print logging information:

-ssys
	  Displays information about work involving specified system.

-uuser
	  Displays information about work involving specified user.

The command lists the uucp names of known systems.

-l Lists local system name.

Warnings
       The  domain  of	remotely  accessible  files  can (and for obvious security reasons, usually should) be severely restricted.  You will very
       likely not be able to fetch files by pathname.  Ask a responsible person on the remote system to send them to you.  For the  same  reasons,
       you will probably not be able to send files to arbitrary pathnames.

Restrictions
       All files received by will be owned by uucp.
       The  -m	option	will  only work sending files or receiving a single file.  (Receiving multiple files specified by special shell characters
       ?*[] will not activate the -m option.)

Files
       /usr/spool/uucp - spool directory
       /usr/lib/uucp/* - other data and program files
       /etc/acucap - shared autodial modem database

See Also
       mail(1), uux(1c), acucap(5)
       "Uucp Implementation Description," ULTRIX Supplementary Documentation, Vol. III:System Manager

uucp(1c)