Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use date command to find last month Post 302131390 by jim mcnamara on Friday 10th of August 2007 10:03:20 AM
Old 08-10-2007
lorcan -
Your solution is just fine - but not all versions of date support -d

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find out month from a date

I would like to find out the month from a given date, how is it possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the create time of a file if current date is in next month

Hi All, I want to find the time diffrence between currnt time and "abc.txt" file create time. I have solve that but if the abc.txt file created last month then is there any process to find the difftent? Exp: Create time of abc.txt is "Apr 14 06:48" and currect date is "May 17 23:47".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priyankak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date command to obtain the last month is not working correctly..

Hello, I could not find the exactly same post here.. so I will explain what I did to get the last month using date command. I used date +%Y-%m -d "-1 months" to get the last month. However, the returned value of above command on 2009/10/31 was 2009 10 and not 2009 09.. and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigersk
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command - getting previous month

Hi, On any given day, I want to capture the month that has gone by - said otherwise, how do I capture last month? expr date '+%m' - 1 Above expression is giving error. Please advise thanks ---------- Post updated at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:11 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix man command to find out month of the year?

how can i display month of the year i was born with using man command? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janetroop95
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to find/display out last Friday's date of the month?

Hello, Can you please help me find/display out last Friday's date of the month using command in Unix/Linux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find all files other than first two dates & last date per month and year?

how to find all files other than first two dates & last date per month and year Hi All, lets say there are following files in directory -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg 1596 Mar 19 2012 a.txt -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg 1596 Mar 19 2012 b.txt -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find one month before date

Hi, I want two dates one will be the current date and the other one will be just one month before. Say if current month is 11/4/2014 then the other date should be 11/3/2014. #!/bin/ksh currentDtae=`date` oneMonthBefore= ? I dont know how to do it. Went through some of the related threads... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
15 Replies
DATE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DATE(1)

NAME
date - print or set the date and time SYNOPSIS
date [-qsu] [[MMDDYY]hhmm[ss]] [+format] OPTIONS
-q Read the date from stdin -s Set the time (implicit for -q or a date string) -u Print the date as GMT -t Use this number of seconds instead of current time EXAMPLES
date # Print the date and time date 0221921610 # Set date to Feb 21, 1992 at 4:10 p.m. DESCRIPTION
With the -q flag or a numeric argument, date sets the GMT time and date. MMDDYY refers to the month, day, and year; hhmmss refers to the hour, minute and second. Each of the six fields must be exactly two digits, no more and no less. date always display the date and time, with the default format for the system. The -u flag request GMT time instead of local time. A format may be specified with a + followed by a printf-like string with the following options: %% % character %A Name of the day %B Name of the month %D mm/dd/yy %H Decimal hour on 2 digits %I Decimal hour modulo 12 on 2 digits %M Decimal minute on 2 digits %S Decimal seconds on 2 digits %T HH:MM:SS %U Decimal week number, Sunday being first day of week %W Decimal week number, Monday being first day of week %X Same as %T %Y Decimal year on 4 digits %Z Time Zone (if any) %a Abbreviated name of the day %b Abbreviated name of the month %c Appropriate date & time (default format) %d Decimal day of the month on 2 digits %e Same as %d, but a space replaces leading 0 %h Same as %b %j Decimal dey of the year on 3 digits %m Decimal month on 2 digits %n Newline character %p AM or PM %r 12-hour clock time with AM/PM %s Number of seconds since the epoch %t Tab character %w Decimal day of the week (0=Sunday) %x Same as %D %y Decimal year on 2 digits SEE ALSO
time(2), ctime(3), readclock(8). DATE(1)