Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use date command to find last month Post 302131386 by lorcan on Friday 10th of August 2007 09:54:58 AM
Old 08-10-2007
Code:
echo $(date -d"1 month ago" "+%G%m%d" | cut -c5-6)

or

Code:
echo $(date -d"1 month ago" "+%m" )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find out month from a date

I would like to find out the month from a given date, how is it possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the create time of a file if current date is in next month

Hi All, I want to find the time diffrence between currnt time and "abc.txt" file create time. I have solve that but if the abc.txt file created last month then is there any process to find the difftent? Exp: Create time of abc.txt is "Apr 14 06:48" and currect date is "May 17 23:47".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priyankak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date command to obtain the last month is not working correctly..

Hello, I could not find the exactly same post here.. so I will explain what I did to get the last month using date command. I used date +%Y-%m -d "-1 months" to get the last month. However, the returned value of above command on 2009/10/31 was 2009 10 and not 2009 09.. and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigersk
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command - getting previous month

Hi, On any given day, I want to capture the month that has gone by - said otherwise, how do I capture last month? expr date '+%m' - 1 Above expression is giving error. Please advise thanks ---------- Post updated at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:11 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix man command to find out month of the year?

how can i display month of the year i was born with using man command? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janetroop95
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to find/display out last Friday's date of the month?

Hello, Can you please help me find/display out last Friday's date of the month using command in Unix/Linux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find all files other than first two dates & last date per month and year?

how to find all files other than first two dates & last date per month and year Hi All, lets say there are following files in directory -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg 1596 Mar 19 2012 a.txt -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg 1596 Mar 19 2012 b.txt -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find one month before date

Hi, I want two dates one will be the current date and the other one will be just one month before. Say if current month is 11/4/2014 then the other date should be 11/3/2014. #!/bin/ksh currentDtae=`date` oneMonthBefore= ? I dont know how to do it. Went through some of the related threads... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
15 Replies
CALENDAR(1)						      General Commands Manual						       CALENDAR(1)

NAME
calendar - reminder service SYNOPSIS
calendar [ - ] DESCRIPTION
Calendar consults the file `calendar' in the current directory and prints out lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date anywhere in the line. Most reasonable month-day dates such as `Dec. 7,' `december 7,' `12/7,' etc., are recognized, but not `7 December' or `7/12'. If you give the month as ``*'' with a date, i.e. ``* 1'', that day in any month will do. On weekends `tomorrow' extends through Monday. When an argument is present, calendar does its job for every user who has a file `calendar' in his login directory and sends him any posi- tive results by mail(1). Normally this is done daily in the wee hours under control of cron(8). The file `calendar' is first run through the ``C'' preprocessor, /lib/cpp, to include any other calendar files specified with the usual ``#include'' syntax. Included calendars will usually be shared by all users, maintained and documented by the local administration. FILES
calendar /usr/libexec/calendar to figure out today's and tomorrow's dates /etc/passwd /tmp/cal* /lib/cpp, egrep, sed, mail as subprocesses SEE ALSO
at(1), cron(8), mail(1) BUGS
Calendar's extended idea of `tomorrow' doesn't account for holidays. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 CALENDAR(1)