Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use date command to find last month Post 302131386 by lorcan on Friday 10th of August 2007 09:54:58 AM
Old 08-10-2007
Code:
echo $(date -d"1 month ago" "+%G%m%d" | cut -c5-6)

or

Code:
echo $(date -d"1 month ago" "+%m" )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find out month from a date

I would like to find out the month from a given date, how is it possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the create time of a file if current date is in next month

Hi All, I want to find the time diffrence between currnt time and "abc.txt" file create time. I have solve that but if the abc.txt file created last month then is there any process to find the difftent? Exp: Create time of abc.txt is "Apr 14 06:48" and currect date is "May 17 23:47".... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priyankak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date command to obtain the last month is not working correctly..

Hello, I could not find the exactly same post here.. so I will explain what I did to get the last month using date command. I used date +%Y-%m -d "-1 months" to get the last month. However, the returned value of above command on 2009/10/31 was 2009 10 and not 2009 09.. and the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigersk
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

date command - getting previous month

Hi, On any given day, I want to capture the month that has gone by - said otherwise, how do I capture last month? expr date '+%m' - 1 Above expression is giving error. Please advise thanks ---------- Post updated at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:11 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix man command to find out month of the year?

how can i display month of the year i was born with using man command? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janetroop95
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to find/display out last Friday's date of the month?

Hello, Can you please help me find/display out last Friday's date of the month using command in Unix/Linux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find all files other than first two dates & last date per month and year?

how to find all files other than first two dates & last date per month and year Hi All, lets say there are following files in directory -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg 1596 Mar 19 2012 a.txt -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg 1596 Mar 19 2012 b.txt -rwxr-xr-x 1 user userg ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find one month before date

Hi, I want two dates one will be the current date and the other one will be just one month before. Say if current month is 11/4/2014 then the other date should be 11/3/2014. #!/bin/ksh currentDtae=`date` oneMonthBefore= ? I dont know how to do it. Went through some of the related threads... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
15 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-3hjy] [-A number] [-B number] [[month] year] cal [-3hj] [-A number] [-B number] -m month [year] ncal [-3bhjJpwySM] [-A number] [-B number] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-3bhJeoSM] [-A number] [-B number] [year] ncal [-CN] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, it may be followed by the letter 'f' or 'p' to indicate the following or preceding month of that number, respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. This option is implied when a year but no month are specified on the command line. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -1 Display only the current month. This is the default. -A number Months to add after. The specified number of months is added to the end of the display. This is in addition to any date range selected by the -y, -3, or -1 options. For example, ``cal -y -B2 -A2'' shows everything from November of the previous year to Febru- ary of the following year. Negative numbers are allowed, in which case the specified number of months is subtracted. For example, ``cal -y -B-6'' shows July to December. And ``cal -A11'' simply shows the next 12 months. -B number Months to add before. The specified number of months is added to the beginning of the display. See -A for examples. -C Switch to cal mode. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). -M Weeks start on Monday. -S Weeks start on Sunday. -b Use oldstyle format for ncal output. A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example, the options -y, -3, and -1 are mutually exclusive. If inconsistent options are given, the later ones take precedence over the earlier ones. A year starts on January 1. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. The output of the cal command is supposed to be bit for bit compatible to the original Unix cal command, because its output is processed by other programs like CGI scripts, that should not be broken. Therefore it will always output 8 lines, even if only 7 contain data. This extra blank line also appears with the original cal command, at least on solaris 8 AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD
March 14, 2009 BSD