Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is the meaning of ppid 1? Post 302129918 by benefactr on Thursday 2nd of August 2007 09:06:42 AM
Old 08-02-2007
This may not be 100% correct, but most processes that have a ppid of 1 are the system processes that are started up, tty's and other things. You can also have this when you kill the parent and it still had some child process out there running. Like if you killed cron and it had jobs running, those running processes would have a 1 on them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange pid and ppid problem

Hi all, Please look into the following code : int main() { char command; int pid, ppid; ppid = getpid(); /* Get the parent pid */ pid = fork(); /* Fork */ if ( pid ==0 ) { sprintf( command, " gdb a.out %d ", ppid ); printf( "Command line is %s\n", command ); system( command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asvija
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to kill processes with PPID of 1

Hi, I have been trying to come up with a script to run as a cron job to kill any processes that have PPID of 1. I have created a file that contains the PID and the PPID. How can I read this file and then execute a kill on any PID where PPID is 1. The file looks like this: 4904 1 4455 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbaysdon
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

' ps v PPID' command and real memory

hi Guys, Just wondering whether if I execute the ps v 1818740 and I get the below ouput what column should I use If I need to calculate how much real memory (private) is use by those process. Thanks. PID TTY STAT TIME PGIN SIZE RSS LIM TSIZ TRS %CPU %MEM COMMAND ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hariza
1 Replies

4. Solaris

why process PPID changes to 1

Hi All, I have just started using SUN Solaris o.s version is :SunOS spdwa013(my server name) 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R My problem is that i have some processes running on that server they have a PID and a PPID. But sometimes the PPID for a particular process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting a process whose ppid should be 1

How can I start a process with ppid as 1 instead of my current shell pid? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shall I go for uid or ppid?

Hi Guys, I'd like to ask your advice on the following, I've written this script to terminate a given process by name: #!/bin/bash echo 'Please enter the process you wish to terminate' read process pid=$(pidof $process) kill -9 $pid echo $2 to make it safer I want it to reject the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lora Graham
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Start process independent from TERMINAL (or also with PPID 1)

Hi *, please, I need fast tip (help). I have a process starting through /etc/rc3.d/xxxx script. However, sometimes (mostly because of testing reasons) I need to stop the process, change something and then start it again. But: 1) when I start it in terminal, the process dies when I leave the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeangel
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PPID differs in script and prompt

I tried several times to get answer to the below problem. Someone can please help me? $ cat p1.sh #!/bin/sh `./c1.sh &` while # indefinite loop do x=5; done $ cat c1.sh # sleep for 10 sec and exit #!/bin/sh sleep 10; Execute P1 as ./p1 & $ ps -eaf | grep c1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Name from PPID

Hi, I am currently trying to pin down a process NAME (could be a cron job or a tty) in Solaris. First I obtained a pid and then a ppid. I want to take the PPID and from there find the program/process that is making the VSH go high (cpu usage). I am currently trying to go up the chain using PS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troystevens
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PID and PPID - please explain :(-

Hi, I need some help understanding PID and PPID that is shown by the ps -ef output. OS is Solaris 5.8. :wall: There are several Oracle databases and processes running on this server and they all have the same PPID. Does that mean they are all spawned off the same startup script? I then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
PKILL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PKILL(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill -- find or signal processes by name SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-Lafilnoqvx] [-F pidfile] [-G gid] [-P ppid] [-U uid] [-d delim] [-g pgrp] [-t tty] [-u euid] pattern ... pkill [-signal] [-ILafilnovx] [-F pidfile] [-G gid] [-P ppid] [-U uid] [-g pgrp] [-t tty] [-u euid] pattern ... DESCRIPTION
The pgrep command searches the process table on the running system and prints the process IDs of all processes that match the criteria given on the command line. The pkill command searches the process table on the running system and signals all processes that match the criteria given on the command line. The following options are available: -F pidfile Restrict matches to a process whose PID is stored in the pidfile file. -G gid Restrict matches to processes with a real group ID in the comma-separated list gid. -I Request confirmation before attempting to signal each process. -L The pidfile file given for the -F option must be locked with the flock(2) syscall or created with pidfile(3). -P ppid Restrict matches to processes with a parent process ID in the comma-separated list ppid. -U uid Restrict matches to processes with a real user ID in the comma-separated list uid. -d delim Specify a delimiter to be printed between each process ID. The default is a newline. This option can only be used with the pgrep command. -a Include process ancestors in the match list. By default, the current pgrep or pkill process and all of its ancestors are excluded (unless -v is used). -f Match against full argument lists. The default is to match against process names. -g pgrp Restrict matches to processes with a process group ID in the comma-separated list pgrp. The value zero is taken to mean the process group ID of the running pgrep or pkill command. -i Ignore case distinctions in both the process table and the supplied pattern. -l Long output. For pgrep, print the process name in addition to the process ID for each matching process. If used in conjunction with -f, print the process ID and the full argument list for each matching process. For pkill, display the kill command used for each process killed. -n Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -q Do not write anything to standard output. -t tty Restrict matches to processes associated with a terminal in the comma-separated list tty. Terminal names may be of the form ttyxx or the shortened form xx. A single dash ('-') matches processes not associated with a terminal. -u euid Restrict matches to processes with an effective user ID in the comma-separated list euid. -v Reverse the sense of the matching; display processes that do not match the given criteria. -x Require an exact match of the process name, or argument list if -f is given. The default is to match any substring. -signal A non-negative decimal number or symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. This option is valid only when given as the first argument to pkill. If any pattern operands are specified, they are used as regular expressions to match the command name or full argument list of each process. Note that a running pgrep or pkill process will never consider itself as a potential match. EXIT STATUS
The pgrep and pkill utilities return one of the following values upon exit: 0 One or more processes were matched. 1 No processes were matched. 2 Invalid options were specified on the command line. 3 An internal error occurred. SEE ALSO
kill(1), killall(1), ps(1), flock(2), kill(2), sigaction(2), pidfile(3), re_format(7) HISTORY
The pkill and pgrep utilities first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. They are modelled after utilities of the same name that appeared in Sun Solaris 7. They made their first appearance in FreeBSD 5.3. AUTHORS
Andrew Doran <ad@NetBSD.org> BSD
February 11, 2010 BSD