Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is the meaning of ppid 1? Post 302129872 by darkrainbow on Thursday 2nd of August 2007 04:51:00 AM
Old 08-02-2007
what is the meaning of ppid 1?

Is there any meaning on parent process id when it is equal = 1?
It is found that most of the ppid is lower than pid of the same process by 1
when perform ps -ef

but notice that some process's ppid is 1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange pid and ppid problem

Hi all, Please look into the following code : int main() { char command; int pid, ppid; ppid = getpid(); /* Get the parent pid */ pid = fork(); /* Fork */ if ( pid ==0 ) { sprintf( command, " gdb a.out %d ", ppid ); printf( "Command line is %s\n", command ); system( command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asvija
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to kill processes with PPID of 1

Hi, I have been trying to come up with a script to run as a cron job to kill any processes that have PPID of 1. I have created a file that contains the PID and the PPID. How can I read this file and then execute a kill on any PID where PPID is 1. The file looks like this: 4904 1 4455 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbaysdon
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

' ps v PPID' command and real memory

hi Guys, Just wondering whether if I execute the ps v 1818740 and I get the below ouput what column should I use If I need to calculate how much real memory (private) is use by those process. Thanks. PID TTY STAT TIME PGIN SIZE RSS LIM TSIZ TRS %CPU %MEM COMMAND ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hariza
1 Replies

4. Solaris

why process PPID changes to 1

Hi All, I have just started using SUN Solaris o.s version is :SunOS spdwa013(my server name) 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R My problem is that i have some processes running on that server they have a PID and a PPID. But sometimes the PPID for a particular process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting a process whose ppid should be 1

How can I start a process with ppid as 1 instead of my current shell pid? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shall I go for uid or ppid?

Hi Guys, I'd like to ask your advice on the following, I've written this script to terminate a given process by name: #!/bin/bash echo 'Please enter the process you wish to terminate' read process pid=$(pidof $process) kill -9 $pid echo $2 to make it safer I want it to reject the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lora Graham
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Start process independent from TERMINAL (or also with PPID 1)

Hi *, please, I need fast tip (help). I have a process starting through /etc/rc3.d/xxxx script. However, sometimes (mostly because of testing reasons) I need to stop the process, change something and then start it again. But: 1) when I start it in terminal, the process dies when I leave the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeangel
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PPID differs in script and prompt

I tried several times to get answer to the below problem. Someone can please help me? $ cat p1.sh #!/bin/sh `./c1.sh &` while # indefinite loop do x=5; done $ cat c1.sh # sleep for 10 sec and exit #!/bin/sh sleep 10; Execute P1 as ./p1 & $ ps -eaf | grep c1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexalex1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Name from PPID

Hi, I am currently trying to pin down a process NAME (could be a cron job or a tty) in Solaris. First I obtained a pid and then a ppid. I want to take the PPID and from there find the program/process that is making the VSH go high (cpu usage). I am currently trying to go up the chain using PS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troystevens
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PID and PPID - please explain :(-

Hi, I need some help understanding PID and PPID that is shown by the ps -ef output. OS is Solaris 5.8. :wall: There are several Oracle databases and processes running on this server and they all have the same PPID. Does that mean they are all spawned off the same startup script? I then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
tapset::context(3stap)													    tapset::context(3stap)

NAME
tapset::context - systemtap context tapset DESCRIPTION
Context functions provide additional information about where an event occurred. These functions can provide information such as a back- trace to where the event occurred and the current register values for the processor. print_regs Print a register dump See function::print_regs(3stap) for details. pp Returns the active probe point See function::pp(3stap) for details. ppfunc Returns the function name parsed from pp() See function::ppfunc(3stap) for details. probe_type The low level probe handler type of the current probe. See function::probe_type(3stap) for details. execname Returns the execname of a target process (or group of processes) See function::execname(3stap) for details. pid Returns the ID of a target process See function::pid(3stap) for details. tid Returns the thread ID of a target process See function::tid(3stap) for details. ppid Returns the process ID of a target process's parent process See function::ppid(3stap) for details. pgrp Returns the process group ID of the current process See function::pgrp(3stap) for details. sid Returns the session ID of the current process See function::sid(3stap) for details. pexecname Returns the execname of a target process's parent process See function::pexecname(3stap) for details. gid Returns the group ID of a target process See function::gid(3stap) for details. egid Returns the effective gid of a target process See function::egid(3stap) for details. uid Returns the user ID of a target process See function::uid(3stap) for details. euid Return the effective uid of a target process See function::euid(3stap) for details. is_myproc Determines if the current probe point has occurred in the user's own process See function::is_myproc(3stap) for details. cpuid Returns the current cpu number See function::cpuid(3stap) for details. cpu Returns the current cpu number See function::cpu(3stap) for details. registers_valid Determines validity of register() and u_register() in current context See function::registers_valid(3stap) for details. user_mode Determines if probe point occurs in user-mode See function::user_mode(3stap) for details. is_return Whether the current probe context is a return probe See function::is_return(3stap) for details. target Return the process ID of the target process See function::target(3stap) for details. module_name The module name of the current script See function::module_name(3stap) for details. stp_pid The process id of the stapio process See function::stp_pid(3stap) for details. remote_id The index of this instance in a remote execution. See function::remote_id(3stap) for details. remote_uri The name of this instance in a remote execution. See function::remote_uri(3stap) for details. stack_size Return the size of the kernel stack See function::stack_size(3stap) for details. stack_used Returns the amount of kernel stack used See function::stack_used(3stap) for details. stack_unused Returns the amount of kernel stack currently available See function::stack_unused(3stap) for details. addr Address of the current probe point. See function::addr(3stap) for details. uaddr User space address of current running task See function::uaddr(3stap) for details. cmdline_args Fetch command line arguments from current process See function::cmdline_args(3stap) for details. cmdline_arg Fetch a command line argument See function::cmdline_arg(3stap) for details. cmdline_str Fetch all command line arguments from current process See function::cmdline_str(3stap) for details. SEE ALSO
function::print_regs(3stap), function::pp(3stap), function::ppfunc(3stap), function::probe_type(3stap), function::execname(3stap), function::pid(3stap), function::tid(3stap), function::ppid(3stap), function::pgrp(3stap), function::sid(3stap), function::pexecname(3stap), function::gid(3stap), function::egid(3stap), function::uid(3stap), function::euid(3stap), function::is_myproc(3stap), function::cpuid(3stap), function::cpu(3stap), function::registers_valid(3stap), function::user_mode(3stap), function::is_return(3stap), function::target(3stap), function::module_name(3stap), function::stp_pid(3stap), function::remote_id(3stap), function::remote_uri(3stap), function::stack_size(3stap), function::stack_used(3stap), function::stack_unused(3stap), function::addr(3stap), function::uaddr(3stap), function::cmdline_args(3stap), function::cmdline_arg(3stap), function::cmdline_str(3stap), stap(1), stapprobes(3stap) IBM
--- tapset::context(3stap)