Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX "Crontab update"
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX "Crontab update" Post 302129059 by ddrivera on Friday 27th of July 2007 09:46:45 PM
Old 07-27-2007
UNIX "Crontab update"

Is there another location to update a cron that's run daily. I have updated the root cron located "/var/spool/cron/crontabs " After the update the cron doesn't run at the new time it was set at. It continues to run at the old time. Checking the root cron after it has been updated show the modification with the new time was saved. Any ideas?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands delete all files starting with "X" except "X" itself. HELP!!!!?

im a new student in programming and im stuck on this question so please please HELP ME. thanks. the question is this: enter a command to delete all files that have filenames starting with labtest, except labtest itself (delete all files startign with 'labtest' followed by one or more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soccerball
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)