Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to write if loop in unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to write if loop in unix Post 302128600 by pinky on Wednesday 25th of July 2007 03:57:32 PM
Old 07-25-2007
How to write if loop in unix

Hi Thanks to one who helped me to create a new thread
I am so new to unix and trying to learn the stuff
Thanks for all the help I am getting here
I wanted to execute if loop like

if( x=y || (x=z && x=q))
{
some statements
}

Can I get help how to do write the if loop in unix shell scripting
I know if it is for two like
if [[ x eq y || x eq z ]] but couldn't do it with the above requirement

Thanks in advance
PINKY

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to write c codes in UNIX

Sorry for asking a very basic question. How do i compile my c codes in UNIX. That is how do i know whether any c compiler is there in my system? If nothing is present where from do i get one and load into my system? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rraajjiibb
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to write a script to loop through a port info file

Below is part of a script i have written to loop through part of a port info file. How do i continue the script to get info for OS Device Name, manufacturer and then put information into an array? HBA Port WWN: 10000000c9420b4b OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c10 Manufacturer: Emulex... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcon1
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a If loop..

Hi all.. I've written a script which reads all system backup information. #!/bin/ksh export ORACLE_SID=$1 export primaryhost=$2 export sid=`echo $ORACLE_SID| tr ` RESULTFILE=/oracle/PC9/backupstatus_prod.log ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a script to reformat a file in unix but not familiar with unix

unix script must do the fiollowing open a file containing comma delimited records > each record contains 10 fields > removes the 2nd field and use that same field containing fields 2 to 10 the original record after fprocessing should containing fields 1 and 3 a new erecord must be... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwightja
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Push records to array during implicit loop and write to file

NEWBIE ALERT! Hi, I'm 1 month into learning Perl and done reading "Minimal Perl" by Tim Maher (which I enjoyed enoumously). I'm not a programmer by profession but want to use Perl to automate various tasks at my job. I have a problem (obviously) and are looking for your much appreciated help.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jospan
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to write to a file within a loop

Hi All, Following is the program that i have written in cygwin. The redirection of the unfound $param1 to error.txt file doesnt work.Can any one help? #!/usr/bin/sh fname=$1 sed 's/ //g' "$fname" > fname1 while read i do echo $i > file1 #param1 is script name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janardhanamk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write for loop

Hi All, I have one variable "TABLE_LIST" having the values and each valeus i can run in for loop like below: TABLE_LIST= abc,abcd,acbfd i should write the for loop and use each value at a time . Please help me Thanking in advance .............. Regards, Dathu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdathu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write a while loop inside for loop?

I'm taking a unix class and need to countdown to 0 from whatever number the user inputs. I know how to do this with a while or until loop but using the for loop is throwing me off.... I know I can use an if-then statement in my for loop but can I include a while loop in my for loop? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxhieixx
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)