Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar extract to different directory Post 302128558 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 25th of July 2007 10:54:15 AM
Old 07-25-2007
Code:
(cd /tmp; tar cf - dir1) | (cd /tmp/dir2; tar xf - )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting tar extract to another directory

Is it possible to redirect the output from 'tar xvf' to another directory? The taped tar image is extracting to my / dircetory - even though i'm running the command from /backups. The contents list of the tape shows files created from /livebackups/... Thanks Richard (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: colesy
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract a sub directory form a tar file

anyone know if it is possable to extract a subdirectory in a tar file. IE tarfile contains parent dir -sub dir A -sub dir B I want to extract sub dir B. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract tar files without creating directory

I received a tar file of a directory with 50,000 files in it. Is it possible to extract the files in the tar file without first creating the directory? ie. Doing tar -xvf filename.tar extracts as follows: x directory/file1.txt x directory/file2.txt . . . I would like to avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract files from tar ball without directory structure

Hi, I have tar filw which has multiple directories which contain files. When i extract using tar -xf the directory structure also get extracted. I require only files and not directory structures as there will be overhead of moving the files again. So i searched here and got a solution but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

7. Solaris

HOW TO extract.tar file to specific directory..?

Hi all, In Solaris howto extract tar file to specific folder. This is what we do in Linux, but how to do the same thing in Solaris ? -tar -xzvf /tmp/etc.tar.bz -C /tmp (Will extract in /tmp dir) 3.gzip COMPRESSION AND EXTRACTION -tar -czvf /tmp/etc.tar.bz /etc -du ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a single file from a tar file to another directory

Hi, I need to extract a single file from a tar file to another directory. So far I have this: This one extract a single file to same directory: tar -xvf filename.tar ./file.txt I tried this but its not working tar -xvf filename.tar /home/dir ./file.txt or this: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything working fine: $( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' ) but i have to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BACya
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract tar archive on remote server in another directory

HI All Please suggest how to untar archive on remote sever. When im trying use regular command without any flags everything is working fine: $( ssh <user>@<server> -n '. ~/.profile >/dev/null 2>&1 ; cd /path_1 ; copiedIVR_name=`ls -tr | tail -1` ; tar xvf $copiedIVR_name ' ) but when im... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: BACya
9 Replies
chroot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot newroot command DESCRIPTION
The chroot utility causes command to be executed relative to newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes (/) in the path names is changed to newroot for command and any of its child processes. Upon execution, the initial working directory is newroot. Notice that redirecting the output of command to a file, chroot newroot command >x will create the file x relative to the original root of command, not the new one. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a chroot is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command can be run only by the super-user. RETURN VALUES
The exit status of chroot is the return value of command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the chroot Utility The chroot utility provides an easy way to extract tar files (see tar(1)) written with absolute filenames to a different location. It is necessary to copy the shared libraries used by tar (see ldd(1)) to the newroot filesystem. example# mkdir /tmp/lib; cd /lib example# cp ld.so.1 libc.so.1 libcmd.so.1 libdl.so.1 libsec.so.1 /tmp/lib example# cp /usr/bin/tar /tmp example# dd if=/dev/rmt/0 | chroot /tmp tar xvf - ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), tar(1), chroot(2), ttyname(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
Exercise extreme caution when referencing device files in the new root file system. References by routines such as ttyname(3C) to stdin, stdout, and stderr will find that the device associated with the file descriptor is unknown after chroot is run. SunOS 5.10 15 Dec 2003 chroot(1M)