Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory Check in SUN Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Memory Check in SUN Solaris Post 302128417 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 24th of July 2007 06:20:32 PM
Old 07-24-2007
look at "vmstat".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sun Solaris Sun Java Desktop

Ok I a n00b, not gunna hide it so here goes - Sun Solaris, V.10 i386 - during the setup, I can choose a screen resolution that looks great with 65k colors and all. However, when all is said and done 4 disks and a reboot later, I get hanious 640x480 @ 256 only. If I choose the Sun Java Desktop... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spooky
20 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comman/Tool to check memory leak in solaris box

Hello Guys, Please let me know about commands or tools that are available to check memory leak in solaris box. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeshlbryan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Memory usage in Solaris - memory not freed?

Hi, I'm running a multi-process software system on a Solaris 8 machine. When I monitor the memory usage, I see that the free memory is dropping rapidly, but I can't detect a process that uses this memory. I'm using "top" to get the free memory and the memory usage of processes. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gewurtz
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to find Total and Free Physical Memory and Logical Memory in SOLARIS 9

Hi, Im working on Solaris 9 on SPARC-32 bit running on an Ultra-80, and I have to find out the following:- 1. Total Physical Memory in the system(total RAM). 2. Available Physical Memory(i.e. RAM Usage) 3. Total (Logical) Memory in the system 4. Available (Logical) Memory. I know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

7. Solaris

useful links and help resources for Sun's products and Sun's Solaris

Hi all, Those links might help anyone Knowledge base Video tutorials (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the system configuration on Sun solaris

Hi, Could you pls. let me know what is cammand in unix to check the system configuration on Sun solaris. Thanks in advance. Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krackjack
2 Replies

9. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Check Solaris Zones Processor & Memory allocations

Hi, I am a newbee in the solaris administration. My question is how to 1. Check the total CPU and memory of a global zone. 2. Check the allocated CPU and memory for each of the residing non-global zones. I have already tried prtconf which gives the following output /usr/sbin/prtconf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
4 Replies
vmstat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 vmstat(1)

Name
       vmstat - report virtual memory statistics

Syntax
       vmstat [ interval [ count ] ]
       vmstat -v [ interval [ count ] ]
       vmstat -fKSsz
       vmstat -Kks namelist [ corefile ]

Description
       The command reports statistics on processes, virtual memory, disk, trap, and cpu activity.

If  is  specified without arguments, this command summarizes the virtual memory activity since the system was last booted.  If the interval
       argument is specified, then successive lines are summaries of activity over the last interval seconds.  Because many statistics are sampled
       in  the system every five seconds, five is a good specification for interval; other statistics vary every second.  If the count argument is
       provided, the statistics are repeated count times.

When you run the format fields are as follows:

Procs: information about numbers of processes in various states.

r	 in run queue

b	 blocked for resources (i/o, paging, and so on.)

w	 runnable or short sleeper (< 20 seconds) but swapped

faults:	trap/interrupt rate averages per second over the last 5 seconds.

in	 (non clock) device interrupts per second

sy	 system calls per second

cs	 cpu context switch rate (switches/second)

cpu:  breakdown of percentage usage of cpu time

us	 user time for normal and low priority processes

sy	 system time

id	 cpu idle time

Memory:	information about the use of virtual and real memory.  Virtual pages are considered active if they belong to processes	which  are
       running or have run in the last 20 seconds.

avm  active virtual pages

fre  size of the free list

Pages are reported in units of 1024 bytes.

If  the number of pages exceeds 9999, it is shown in a scaled representation.  The suffix k indicates multiplication by 1000 and the suffix
       m indicates multiplication by 1000000.  For example, the value 12345 appears as 12k.

page: information about page faults and paging activity.  These are averaged every five seconds, and given in units per second.	 The  size
       of a unit is always 1024 bytes and is independent of the actual page size on a machine.

re	 page reclaims (simulating reference bits)

at	 pages attached (found in free list not swapdev or filesystem)

pi	 pages paged in

po	 pages paged out

fr	 pages freed per second

de	 anticipated short term memory shortfall

sr	 pages scanned by clock algorithm, per-second

disk:   s0,  s1 ...sn: Paging/swapping disk sector transfers per second (this field is system dependent).  Typically paging is split across
       several of the available drives.  This will print for each paging/swapping device configured into the kernel.

Options
       -f     Provides reports on the number of forks and vforks since system startup and the number of pages of virtual memory involved  in  each
	      kind of fork.

-K     Displays usage statistics of the kernel memory allocator.

-k     Allows  a  dump  to be interrogated to print the contents of the sum structure when specified with a namelist and corefile.  This is
	      the default.

-S     Replaces the page reclaim (re) and pages attached (at) fields with processes swapped in (si) and processes swapped out (so).

-s     Prints the contents of the sum structure, giving the total number of several kinds of paging related events that have occurred since
	      boot.

-v     Prints an expanded form of the virtual memory statistics.

-z     Zeroes out the sum structure if the UID indicates root privilege.

Examples
       The following command prints what the system is doing every five seconds:
       vmstat 5
       To find the status after a core dump use the following:
       cd /usr/adm/crash
       vmstat -k vmunix.? vmcore.?

Files
       Kernel memory

System namelist

vmstat(1)