Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting suppress echo while reading input in expect Post 302128189 by earnstaf on Monday 23rd of July 2007 09:54:02 AM
Old 07-23-2007
It's the same in Expect.
Code:
send_user "What is your password "
stty -echo
expect_user -re "(.*)\n" {set PASS $expect_out(1,string)}
send_user "\n"
stty echo

I've just started learning Expect myself, but I have used that piece of code successfully.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to suppress input keying from displaying on terminal.

I'm a Unix newbie. In a shell-script, is there any way to accept keyboard input (via STDIN) without having it display on the screen? I know keying in a login password sort of does this by replacing what you key with astericks (*) but I believe that's a "C" routine. I'd like to be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liteyear18
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading password and echo * character

Hi, First of all i am using solaris 10. I want to write a script that ask user to enter password and read the character input from keyboard. The ask to re-enter the password and then if they are match it will accept. But my problem is I want to echo a '*' character instead of the character I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanpachuau
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage of echo with standard input

Hi, I am passing the file filename to a program and I have to use the "<" sign: program < filename Inside the program I would like to assign the string "filename" to a variable var. I can't do that with "var=$(echo $1)" because of the "<" sign. Removing the "<" sign would work for echo,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: calandrea
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with echo command in reading blank spaces in aix

Hi, I have a test.txt and would like to put in a different file but while putting in the other file, blank spaces are missing. $ indicates blank spaces filename: test.txt: USA$$$840$$$$ Desired output USA$$$840$$$$ Current output as per the following code. while read j; do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

accept input on an echo output

echo (some info) read? <&1(not working for me) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robin_simple
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Reading for a certain string and echo the line before

Hi Guys, I have a big file like this. It has cache group line ( the bold lines ) and then followed by 10 status lines showing either Compelte or Failed. This pattern repeats several time. We can assume all the status lines have either Complete or Failed status for that Cache Group line. I... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKNENI
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto input with echo

in cygwin, cron-config will ask two inputs: yes or no. 1st question, answer is no 2nd question, answer is yes my script: echo no | cron-config how do i pass yes to 2nd question ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawsongeek
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input in expect script

Hi, i have one problem with this script: ------------------------------- cat hostid_gathering #!/bin/bash cat /home/user1/ip_switch | while read LINE; do echo $LINE /home/user1/expect_script2 done ------------------------------ cat /home/user1/expect_script2 #!/usr/bin/expect... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why /tmp/1 has nothing after I echo something to it in expect?

lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:~/updates/$ cat zz.sh #!/usr/bin/expect set flag 8888 puts "xxx $flag" send "echo $flag > /tmp/1\r" lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:~/updates/$ ./zz.sh xxx 8888 lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:~/updates/$ cat /tmp/1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)