Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can find Null value in If condition Post 302127272 by vino on Tuesday 17th of July 2007 04:39:57 AM
Old 07-17-2007
NULL strings would translate to a string of length zero.

You could do this to check for the NULL'ness of a string.

Code:
if [ ! -n "$VARIABLE" ] ; then
  echo "VARIABLE is empty"
fi ;

or

Code:
if [ -z "$VARIABLE" ] ; then
  echo "VARIABLE is empty"
fi ;

See man test to see the description of the flags -n and -z

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find null fields in file

Hi All, I have some csv files out of which i want to find records which have empty values in either the 14th or 16th fields. The following is a sample. $cut -d',' -f14,16 SPS* | head -5 VOIP_ORIG_INFO,VOIP_DEST_INFO sip:445600709315@sip.com,sip:999@sip.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare null and space using single if condition

Hi I have a input file with many fields and each filed will be with in double quotes(""). i want to check fields contains balnk,null or space using condition using if. when i write code as below for if condition its not working a=`awk -F ',' '{gsub("\"", "", $1);'NF==0';printf $1}'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using /dev/null with grep and find

Hi, I am trying to display the filename in which a string was found after using find and grep. For this after some googling I found that this works: find -name "*.java" -exec grep "searchStr" {} /dev/null \; I wanted to know the difference between the above and the following: find -name... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav_s
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find out if few fields in a file are null

Hi, I've a pipe delimited file where I want to find out a number of lines where 1st 2nd and last field are null using awk/sed. Is it possible? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find null column

Hi, everyone I have a requirement as following: source file 1, abc, def, caaa 2, , cde, aaa 3, bcd, , adefefg I need find columns which contains null value, in above example, I need get two rows 2, , cde, aaa 3, bcd, , adefefg anybody has idea how to achive this ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep ERE to find null

Hello All, My apologies if a similar question has already been posted. I searched for "grep", "egrep" and "null" I'm having an issue with egrep and an extended regular expression. I'm doing a test for a job name. I would like to have the user enter a job name with no spaces and also test to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydox
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for null condition in a UNIX variable

i have this code for i in `cat sql_output.txt` do -- some script commands done sql_output.txt has 1 column with employee_ids If the sql_output.txt is null then the do loop should not execute. How can i implement this. for i in `cat sql_output.txt` If i is null or empty then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check null variable

Guys, Please help me on the below sample.cfg var=NULL sample.sh #!/bin/sh . /sample.cfg if ;then 1 st command here else 2 nd command here fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find null column?

hi Gurus, I need find the null column in a file. my file like below abc, ,cde,def abc,ded,cdd,def abc, ,ddd,ccd aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd basic, I need to find the lines which second column is null Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find record having null value

Hi All My requirement is to find the null values in particular column of a file and reject it in case if it contains null values. But the challenge is that I want a common command which can be used across different file, as the position of the column we need to check for different file may get... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies
PPI::Statement::Null(3) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   PPI::Statement::Null(3)

NAME
PPI::Statement::Null - A useless null statement SYNOPSIS
my $foo = 1; ; # <-- Null statement my $bar = 1; INHERITANCE
PPI::Statement::Null isa PPI::Statement isa PPI::Node isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
"PPI::Statement::Null" is a utility class designed to handle situations where PPI encounters a naked statement separator. Although strictly speaking, the semicolon is a statement separator and not a statement terminator, PPI considers a semicolon to be a statement terminator under most circumstances. In any case, the null statement has no purpose, and can be safely deleted with no ill effect. METHODS
"PPI::Statement::Null" has no additional methods beyond the default ones provided by PPI::Statement, PPI::Node and PPI::Element. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Statement::Null(3)