Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to reduce IOWAIT in linux Post 302126953 by porter on Saturday 14th of July 2007 11:45:41 PM
Old 07-15-2007
Here is an interesting article regarding performance tweaks for Linux...

http://www.linux.com/feature/116693

Quote:
The hdparm command ("hdparm" stands for "hard disk parameters") allows you to examine and modify drive configuration. Not all modifications are good: some will lower the performance, and some can even be wildly destructive, leading to data loss. The man hdparm command shows you all the options, and highlights the dangerous ones.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excessive IOWAIT

i have a server constantly have high iowait, but i am not able to tell which process generate the most of io. none commands, such as iostat, sar, top will give me this kind of information. hope there is some command can help me to spot the process generate the most of io let to know input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giantpanda77
1 Replies

2. AIX

reduce available ram

hello, we have a aix 5.2 server with 8GB of ram. is it possible, without actually removing the hardware, to have the O/S think it has only 4GB of ram? We would like to see how the handles and responds if it only had 4Gb instead of the 8GB. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks Looks like i found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reduce the or conditions

Hi , how can i reduce the or conditions: if ]; then whatever fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
8 Replies

4. Linux

how to trace iowait to a certain process

Hi all, Under top command you could see some iowait output. Is any way to locate which process(s) is causing the high percentage of iowait? 17:48:39 up 19 days, 18:54, 3 users, load average: 3.24, 3.14, 3.17 392 processes: 389 sleeping, 1 running, 2 zombie, 0 stopped CPU states: cpu user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: will_mike
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reduce

printf "\nClosing stats:\n" >> data.txt echo >> data.txt sed 's/^ \t*//;/^#/d;/^$/d' $stats | while read line do close=$(grep -w "^$line" $datafile | sed -e 's/\(.*\),\(.*\),\(.*\)/\2/') if ; then printf "%5d. %-s was not found in file\n"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jafa401
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reduce code.....

Hi All, Could some one help me to reduce the code... if then ./plist -m "$queuename" |grep $2|awk '{print $3}' >unlock.log elif then ./plist -m "$queuename" |grep $2|awk '{print $4}' >unlock.log else ./plist -m "$queuename" |grep $2|awk '{print $5}' >unlock.log . . . . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
1 Replies

7. SuSE

Reduce Size of serveur in LINUX-Suse

Hello, I do not know Linux. It is a black box. We have 2 virtuals servers (SAPVM01 and SAPVM06) in one physical server. The first virtual system (SAPVM01) has a total size of 420 Gb and a free space of 170 GB. A SAP system is running. The second virtual system (SAPVM06) has a total... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel04
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait?

Hi all Can anyone advise/confirm whether total CPU usage when running sar is %user+%system+%iowait or is it %user+%system only? I want to confirm whether I am having a CPU-bound problem or not. This is a single-CPU VMware machine. $ sar 5 20 Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor IOwait

Hello, I need to monitor IOwait on a server and have started this script directly on the ssh prompt. Effectively it almost does what it is supposed to do, but I have no idea how to stop it? How can I make it run it as a file based bash script? ( iostat -xk 1 /dev/sdb2 | \ perl... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuantica
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies
SG_SAT_SET_FEATURES(8)						     SG3_UTILS						    SG_SAT_SET_FEATURES(8)

NAME
sg_sat_set_features - use ATA SET FEATURES command via a SCSI to ATA Translation (SAT) layer SYNOPSIS
sg_sat_set_features [--count=CO] [--ck_cond] [--feature=FEA] [--help] [--lba=LBA] [--len={16|12}] [--verbose] [--version] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
This utility sends an ATA SET FEATURES command to the DEVICE. This command is used to change settings of ATA non-packet (i.e. disks) and packet devices (e.g. cd/dvd drives). Rather than send the SET FEATURES command directly to the device it is sent via a SCSI transport which is assumed to contain a SCSI to ATA Translation (SAT) Layer (SATL). The SATL may be in an operating system driver, in host bus adapter firmware or in some external enclosure. The SAT standard (SAT ANSI INCITS 431-2007, prior draft: sat-r09.pdf at www.t10.org) defines two SCSI "ATA PASS-THROUGH" commands: one using a 16 byte "cdb" and the other with a 12 byte cdb. This utility defaults to using the 16 byte cdb variant. SAT-2 is also a standard: SAT-2 ANSI INCITS 465-2010 and the draft prior to that is sat2r09.pdf . The SAT-3 project has started and the most recent draft is sat3r01.pdf . The features can be read using the sg_sat_identify utility which uses either the ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE (for non-packet devices) or the IDEN- TIFY PACKET DEVICE (for packet devices) command. OPTIONS
Arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -c, --count=CO the number CO is placed in the "count" field in the ATA SET FEATURES command. Only some subcommands (a term used for the value placed in the "feature" field) require the count field to be set. The default value placed in the "count" field is 0. -C, --ck_cond sets the CK_COND bit in the ATA PASS-THROUGH SCSI cdb. The default setting is clear (i.e. 0). When set the SATL should yield a sense buffer containing a ATA Result descriptor irrespective of whether the ATA command succeeded or failed. When clear the SATL should only yield a sense buffer containing a ATA Result descriptor if the ATA command failed. -f, --feature=FEA the value FEA is placed in the "feature" field in the ATA SET FEATURES command. The term "subcommand" is sometimes used for this value. The default value placed in the "feature" field is 0 which is reserved and hence should not change anything. Two common exam- ples are 2h to enable the write cache and 82h to disable it. -h, --help outputs the usage message summarizing command line options then exits. Ignores DEVICE if given. -L, --lba=LBA the number LBA is placed in the "lba" field of the ATA SET FEATURES command. Only some sub-commands (a term used for the value placed in the "feature" field) require the lba field to be set. This value is typically not a "logical block address" as the acronym might imply. The default value placed in the "lba" field is 0. The maximum value allowed for LBA is 0xfffffffe (or 0xffffff if --len=12). -l, --len={16|12} this is the length of the SCSI cdb used for the ATA PASS-THROUGH commands. The argument can either be 16 or 12. The default is 16. Some SCSI transports cannot convey SCSI commands longer than 12 bytes. -v, --verbose increases the level or verbosity. -V, --version print out version string NOTES
In the 2.4 series of Linux kernels the DEVICE must be a SCSI generic (sg) device. In the 2.6 and 3 series block devices (e.g. disks and ATAPI DVDs) can also be specified. For example "sg_inq /dev/sda" will work in the 2.6 series kernels. From lk 2.6.6 other SCSI "char" device names may be used as well (e.g. "/dev/st0m"). Prior to lk 2.6.29 USB mass storage limited sense data to 18 bytes which made the --ck_cond option yield strange (truncated) results. EXIT STATUS
The exit status of sg_sat_set_features is 0 when it is successful. Otherwise see the sg3_utils(8) man page. AUTHOR
Written by Douglas Gilbert REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2013 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
sg_sat_identify(sg3_utils), sg_inq(sg3_utils), sdparm(sdparm), hdparm(hdparm) sg3_utils-1.37 June 2013 SG_SAT_SET_FEATURES(8)