Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to reduce IOWAIT in linux Post 302126795 by porter on Friday 13th of July 2007 05:34:46 AM
Old 07-13-2007
Not knowing much about your machine here are a few thoughts.

1. Are you using the fastest disks you can, both rotational speed and transfer speed and can your disk controllers support the transfer rates?

2. Consider having a number of disks so binaries live on different disks to data. This will reduce the time spent waiting for seeks to occur.

3. In certain configurations, a RAID arrangement may speed up access to disks.

4, Are you using delayed writes?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excessive IOWAIT

i have a server constantly have high iowait, but i am not able to tell which process generate the most of io. none commands, such as iostat, sar, top will give me this kind of information. hope there is some command can help me to spot the process generate the most of io let to know input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giantpanda77
1 Replies

2. AIX

reduce available ram

hello, we have a aix 5.2 server with 8GB of ram. is it possible, without actually removing the hardware, to have the O/S think it has only 4GB of ram? We would like to see how the handles and responds if it only had 4Gb instead of the 8GB. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks Looks like i found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reduce the or conditions

Hi , how can i reduce the or conditions: if ]; then whatever fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
8 Replies

4. Linux

how to trace iowait to a certain process

Hi all, Under top command you could see some iowait output. Is any way to locate which process(s) is causing the high percentage of iowait? 17:48:39 up 19 days, 18:54, 3 users, load average: 3.24, 3.14, 3.17 392 processes: 389 sleeping, 1 running, 2 zombie, 0 stopped CPU states: cpu user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: will_mike
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reduce

printf "\nClosing stats:\n" >> data.txt echo >> data.txt sed 's/^ \t*//;/^#/d;/^$/d' $stats | while read line do close=$(grep -w "^$line" $datafile | sed -e 's/\(.*\),\(.*\),\(.*\)/\2/') if ; then printf "%5d. %-s was not found in file\n"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jafa401
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reduce code.....

Hi All, Could some one help me to reduce the code... if then ./plist -m "$queuename" |grep $2|awk '{print $3}' >unlock.log elif then ./plist -m "$queuename" |grep $2|awk '{print $4}' >unlock.log else ./plist -m "$queuename" |grep $2|awk '{print $5}' >unlock.log . . . . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
1 Replies

7. SuSE

Reduce Size of serveur in LINUX-Suse

Hello, I do not know Linux. It is a black box. We have 2 virtuals servers (SAPVM01 and SAPVM06) in one physical server. The first virtual system (SAPVM01) has a total size of 420 Gb and a free space of 170 GB. A SAP system is running. The second virtual system (SAPVM06) has a total... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel04
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait?

Hi all Can anyone advise/confirm whether total CPU usage when running sar is %user+%system+%iowait or is it %user+%system only? I want to confirm whether I am having a CPU-bound problem or not. This is a single-CPU VMware machine. $ sar 5 20 Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor IOwait

Hello, I need to monitor IOwait on a server and have started this script directly on the ssh prompt. Effectively it almost does what it is supposed to do, but I have no idea how to stop it? How can I make it run it as a file based bash script? ( iostat -xk 1 /dev/sdb2 | \ perl... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuantica
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies
iostat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 iostat(1)

NAME
iostat - Reports I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [drive...] [interval] [count] OPERANDS
Forces iostat to display specific drives. If drive is not specified (or the specified drive does not exist on the system or cluster, iostat displays the first two drives (even if more than two disk drives are configured in the system). Causes iostat to report once each interval seconds. The first report is for all time since the system was last booted, and each subsequent report is for the last interval only.The value must not be 0. Specifies the number of reports. For example, iostat 1 10 would produce 10 reports at 1-second intervals. You cannot specify count without interval because the first numeric argument to iostat is assumed to be interval. DESCRIPTION
The iostat command reports the following information: For terminals (collectively), the number of characters read and written per second. For each disk, the number of transfers per second and bytes transferred per second (in kilobytes). For the system, the percentage of time the system has spent in user mode, in user mode running low priority (nice) processes, in system mode, and idling. To compute this information, iostat counts data transfer completions, the number of words transferred for each disk, and the collective number of input and output characters for terminals. Also, each sixtieth of a second, iostat examines the state of each disk and makes a tally if the disk is active. When you issue an iostat command on a cluster member, it displays statistics only for those disks that are local to the member and that member's usage of those shared disks that it has mounted. It displays 0 for other disks in the cluster (those it doesn't have mounted), regardless of whether they are on the shared bus or are local to some other member. EXAMPLES
The output from this example displays cpu, terminal, and disk statistics for the first two disks on the system providing 5 reports at 1 second intervals: # iostat 1 5 tty floppy1 dsk9 cpu tin tout bps tps bps tps us ni sy id 0 3 0 0 0 0 1 0 4 95 4 58 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 97 1 53 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 98 5 59 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 98 6 60 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 97 The second example specifies device names in the command: # iostat dsk2 dsk3 cdrom2 tty dsk2 cdrom2 dsk3 cpu tin tout bps tps bps tps bps tps us ni sy id 0 13 11 5 5 2 2427 1213 0 1 1 98 SEE ALSO
Commands:vmstat(1) iostat(1)