Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to set path for java in UNIX Post 302126661 by sysgate on Thursday 12th of July 2007 10:57:08 AM
Old 07-12-2007
Q - "subhotech" : How to set path for java in UNIX?
A - Find where java is installed - "which java" and set the path in /etc/profile or respective file, real use case near me:

Quote:
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
JDK_HOME=$JAVA_HOME
ANT_HOME=/usr/local/ant
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$ANT_HOME/bin:$PATH

export PATH USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC JAVA_HOME JDK_HOME ANT_HOME
Also, java classpath may be set with "java -cp"

Q : How to find the Cron entrys path in UNIX server?
A : This sounds strange to me, "crontab -l" to see current crontab entries, cron files' location varies depending on your OS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why the PATH can not be set correctly?

I'm using Linux-Mandrake 8.0 in my laptop. After I logged in as a "root", I added a new path in my .bashrc file (I use bash shell). Then I can observe it has been set correctly by typing echo $PATH. But, when I log in again as a personal account, not "root", then I open my bash shell, and type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yishen
5 Replies

2. IP Networking

finding the java path in AIX

How to retrieve the path of Java bin directory in AIX (or any unix OS)?? Actually my problem is, I have a jar file called App.jar. I want to execute it by calling the javaw executable. My command is "/usr/java130/javaw -jar App.jar". I've written this command into a shell script. Now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
2 Replies

3. Solaris

set path

hi how do i change the default PATH in my system. i log in as root, and i have .profile file in my / directory. ive put the PATH=.:/usr.......... statement, but that doesnt seem to be working i also wanted to know why exactly we need the profile file in etc? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: strider
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set java Path

Hey eveyone, I am new to unix, and I just installed java 6, however it doesn't recognize javac command I tried to set the path such as: set path="/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_06/bin/ but i still got the same error message. any ideas? -andi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adtd8
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Not Able to Set the path

Hi, I want to set the path for my application so I am setting the path as below -- PATH=${PATH}:.:/envs/mldev/tools:/envs/mldev/common/tools:${HOME}:/bin/p4v:/usr/j2se:/usr/j2se/bin:/usr/j2se/lib or PATH="\ /usr/bin:\ /usr/sbin:\ /usr/dt/bin:\ ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
7 Replies

6. Programming

Java sting up path problem

Hi java programmers I'm a newbee to the Java. Could please help me to set the path correctly. I'm getting the following error. ----jGRASP exec: javac -g C:\Documents and Settings\bogugk\Desktop\HelloWorldApp.java ----jGRASP wedge2 error: command "javac" not found. ---- This command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: repinementer
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I set the path

Very new to this type of thing so go easy on me....... I have downloaded a command language for data display. It came as ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.MacOS_10.6_i386_64bit_gcc421.tar.gz and I unzipped/tarred it into my local directory. The new directory, ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.MacOS_10.6_i386_64bit_gcc421,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davcra
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path set

Something changed on my unix box. Now when I log in it is showing entire path. It used to show only $ prompt before. I know I need to do something in .profile to show only $ prompt Could you please tell me what I should do, to show only $ prompt. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
4 Replies

9. Programming

Set java classes path

I add some new java jar files in the old project, how can I edit the class path? How can I compile all the java classes by just type 'C':o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hscript
3 Replies

10. Programming

Java compilation problem - path not set

I am compiling the Java program in the Command Prompt then one error has appeared that you did not have set the path of java folder then I also set the path to go in the environment variables but I have the same issue. What should I do to resolve this issue? Please don't hijack others'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nancy Wilson
4 Replies
JAVA-WRAPPERS(7)						   Java wrappers						  JAVA-WRAPPERS(7)

NAME
java-wrappers - capacities shared by java wrapper scripts DESCRIPTION
Most Java programs are not run directly, but through small shell scripts that take care of various things, such as finding a suitable java environment and looking for libraries. To ease the task of the maintainers, they rely on a library providing runtime detection, library detection and other features. This manual page describes the common features of all those scripts, and to which point you can configure them. This is mainly done via environment variables. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
java-wrappers understands some environment variables: JAVA_CMD The java command that will be run. If this variable is set, it disables all lookup for a java runtime. JAVA_BINDIR Specifies a directory that will be looked for a java or a jdb executable (depending on the setting of JAVA_DEBUGGER). It has prece- dence over JAVA_HOME but not over JAVA_CMD. JAVA_HOME A path to a java runtime. If this variable is set, all lookup for a java runtime is disabled, except that if no java executable is found in the path, the command java is used. JAVA_FLAVOR A probably more easy-to-use version of the JAVA_HOME variable: instead of specifying the full path of the java runtime, you name it. List of available flavors can be found in the file /usr/lib/java-wrappers/jvm-list.sh. See examples below. JAVA_DEBUGGER If this is set, the wrapper will try to pick up a java debugger rather than a java interpreter. This will fail if the jbd of the runtime found is a stub. JAVA_CLASSPATH Additional classpath, will have priority over the one found by the wrapper. JAVA_ARGS Additional arguments to the java command. They will come before all other arguments. FORCE_CLASSPATH If this variable is set, it will be the only classpath. You'd better know what you are doing. DEBUG_WRAPPER This is probably the most important variable; if it set, the wrapper will print out useful information as it goes by its business, such as which runtime it did find, and which command is run eventually. JAVA_JARPATH The path where the wrappers will go looking for jar archives. If not set, the wrapper will look into the default directory, /usr/share/java. Warning : the wrapper will not look anywhere else than in JAVA_JARPATH. Setting it incorrectly will most probably result in early crashes. EXAMPLES
The examples all rely on rasterizer(1), from the package libbatik-java, but they really apply to all scripts that use java-wrappers. Print out debugging information: DEBUG_WRAPPER=1 rasterizer Limit rasterizer's memory to 80 MB: JAVA_ARGS=-Xmx80m rasterizer Force rasterizer to run with kaffe(1): JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/kaffe rasterizer The same, but using JAVA_BINDIR: JAVA_BINDIR=/usr/lib/kaffe/bin rasterizer Force rasterizer to run with openjdk: JAVA_FLAVOR=openjdk rasterizer Debug rasterizer with Sun's debugger, while printing debugging information from the wrapper: DEBUG_WRAPPER=1 JAVA_CMD=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/jdb rasterizer BUGS
Care has been taken to make the wrappers bug-free. If that was not the case, please file a bug report against the java-wrappers package. If you wish to submit any problem with a java executable relying on java-wrappers, please also submit the output of the command run with DEBUG_WRAPPER=1. It will save one mail exchange and therefore potentially reduce the time it takes to fix the bug. DEVELOPERS
There is currently no documentation about writing a wrapper script save the comments in /usr/lib/java-wrappers/java-wrappers.sh. If you have to write one, we suggest you base yourself upon, for instance, the rasterizer wrapper script, or any other one (just pick up any direct reverse dependency of java-wrappers and look for scripts). SEE ALSO
java(1), jdb(1) /usr/lib/java-wrappers/java-wrappers.sh AUTHOR
java-wrappers and its documentation were written by Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> Version 0.1.16 2010-05-04 JAVA-WRAPPERS(7)