Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script to send mail from unix?? Post 302126587 by deepaknbk on Thursday 12th of July 2007 05:06:59 AM
Old 07-12-2007
Data script to send mail from unix??

Hi all,

I wrote a shell script to send a mail, it is not showing any errors but i didn't receive any mail

#!/bin/ksh

. ./set_mail_details.ksh

echo 'In script'
subject=$1
echo '\nsubject'
echo $1
echo "$subject" | sed 's/~/ /g' | read sub
body_of_email=$2
echo '\nBody'
echo $2
echo '\nMail List'
to_list=$3
echo $3
echo "$body_of_email" | sed 's/~/ /g' | read body
(echo "$body";echo '\n';cat U.CUE_CPM )| mailx -s "$sub" -r some_address@some_mail.com "$to_list"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
echo "Mail is Sent"
else
echo "Mail is not sent(In script)"
fi

output:
$ send_mail.ksh hi test some_address@some_mail.com
In script
subject
hi
Body
test
Mail List
some_address@some_mail.com
Mail is Sent

can any one please help me what is wrong in my script.

Last edited by blowtorch; 07-12-2007 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: remove email address

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can not send mail from unix server to company/yahoo mail

hi, Gurus, I need some help with sending mail out from my UNIX server: It is running Solaris 2.6 and the sendmail version is 8.8. Output of :/usr/lib/sendmail -d0.1 -bt < /dev/null Version 8.8.8+Sun Compiled with: LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: b5fnpct
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am not able to send mail form unix to other mail accounts.

Using Mailx command i.e mailx -s "subject" chinni@hotmail.com < \tmp\chin this command executed sucessfully but not able to receive the mail in chinni@hotmail.com please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinnigd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send a mail in UNIX

Hi, I need to write one unix script gor sending a mail notification. I have to pass the followinf as arguments,from ,to,subject,messege body Can i use mailx....Please provide the code Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send mail in Unix

Hi, I am able to generate the log file from my shell file. How can i send the content of the log file through mail to some one. Raja (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: konankir
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Req the mail send from unix script

Hi , I want to send mail in my script when i am not a super user. Can some one help me on that .. Regards, Balamani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamani
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix script to check if rsh to box and send status mail

rshstatus=`rsh -n lilo /db/p2/oracle/names9208/restart_names.sh` if $rshstatus <>0 then errstatus=1 mailx -s "xirsol8dr" ordba@xxx.com >> $log_dr else if errstatus=0 echo "status to xirsol8dr successful" can anyone provide if this is t he correct way to do this or is there a better way? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpm12
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a script using cron job and send the output as attachment via e-mail using unix

how to run a script using cron job and send the output as attachment via e-mail using unix. please help me. how my cron job entry should be? As of now my cron job entry is to run the script at specific time, 15 03 * * * /path/sample.sh | mail -s "Logs" email_id In the above entry, what... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

send mail through Unix

Hi Can any one please help me how to send mail through unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I send a mail from my outlook or other mail accounts to UNIX server?

Hi all, I want to send a mail for my business needs from outlook account to an unix server (HP-UX) but I don't send any mail. While I can send from the unix server to my outlook account, I can't send from outlook to unix. How can I achieve this ? How can I send a mail from my outlook or other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: igelegin
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a UNIX script to send a mail to the respective individual users about their groups?

Hi Team, I got a requirement to send a mail to the individual users of a unix server about their respective groups. can some one help me to provide the script as I am unable to write that. I tried with below lines but I come out with errors. cat /etc/passwd | awk -F':' '{ print $1}' |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshabag
6 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)