Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: getrusage()
Operating Systems HP-UX getrusage() Post 302122772 by limame on Thursday 21st of June 2007 10:04:04 AM
Old 06-21-2007
Thank you
I tested this code but I can't understand why the user time and the system time are the same before and after execution.

-------------before
/* user time used */ 0 10000
/* system time used */ 0 10000
/* integral shared memory size */ 0
/* integral unshared data */ 0
/* integral unshared stack */ 0
/* page reclaims */ 149
/* page faults */ 1
/* swaps */ 0
/* block input operations */ 0
/* block output operations */ 0
/* # of characters read/written */ 1676
/* messages sent */ 0
/* messages received */ 0
/* signals received */ 0
/* voluntary context switches */ 1
/* involuntary */ 14

-------------after we run foo1
/* user time used */ 0 10000
/* system time used */ 0 10000
/* integral shared memory size */ 0
/* integral unshared data */ 0
/* integral unshared stack */ 0
/* page reclaims */ 149
/* page faults */ 2
/* swaps */ 0
/* block input operations */ 0
/* block output operations */ 0
/* # of characters read/written */ 2500
/* messages sent */ 0
/* messages received */ 0
/* signals received */ 0
/* voluntary context switches */ 2
/* involuntary */ 14

Normally I must calculate the difference between the two statistics to obtain statistics of my program execution. So I will obtain 0 for the user time and system time ???

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Programming

fork-getrusage

Hello everybody! I wrote the following code: ... int main() { pid_t pid; for (int i=0;i<100;i++) { pid=fork(); if(pid==0) {execl("md5sum","myprog",NULL);exit(1)} else if(pid>0) { waitpid(pid,&status,0);getrusage(RUSAGE_CHILDREN,&usage);} The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
3 Replies
GETRUSAGE(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						      GETRUSAGE(2)

NAME
getrusage -- get information about resource utilization LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <sys/resource.h> #define RUSAGE_SELF 0 #define RUSAGE_CHILDREN -1 #define RUSAGE_THREAD 1 int getrusage(int who, struct rusage *rusage); DESCRIPTION
The getrusage() system call returns information describing the resources utilized by the current thread, the current process, or all its ter- minated child processes. The who argument is either RUSAGE_THREAD, RUSAGE_SELF, or RUSAGE_CHILDREN. The buffer to which rusage points will be filled in with the following structure: struct rusage { struct timeval ru_utime; /* user time used */ struct timeval ru_stime; /* system time used */ long ru_maxrss; /* max resident set size */ long ru_ixrss; /* integral shared text memory size */ long ru_idrss; /* integral unshared data size */ long ru_isrss; /* integral unshared stack size */ long ru_minflt; /* page reclaims */ long ru_majflt; /* page faults */ long ru_nswap; /* swaps */ long ru_inblock; /* block input operations */ long ru_oublock; /* block output operations */ long ru_msgsnd; /* messages sent */ long ru_msgrcv; /* messages received */ long ru_nsignals; /* signals received */ long ru_nvcsw; /* voluntary context switches */ long ru_nivcsw; /* involuntary context switches */ }; The fields are interpreted as follows: ru_utime the total amount of time spent executing in user mode. ru_stime the total amount of time spent in the system executing on behalf of the process(es). ru_maxrss the maximum resident set size utilized (in kilobytes). ru_ixrss an ``integral'' value indicating the amount of memory used by the text segment that was also shared among other processes. This value is expressed in units of kilobytes * ticks-of-execution. Ticks are statistics clock ticks. The statistics clock has a frequency of sysconf(_SC_CLK_TCK) ticks per second. ru_idrss an integral value of the amount of unshared memory residing in the data segment of a process (expressed in units of kilobytes * ticks-of-execution). ru_isrss an integral value of the amount of unshared memory residing in the stack segment of a process (expressed in units of kilobytes * ticks-of-execution). ru_minflt the number of page faults serviced without any I/O activity; here I/O activity is avoided by ``reclaiming'' a page frame from the list of pages awaiting reallocation. ru_majflt the number of page faults serviced that required I/O activity. ru_nswap the number of times a process was ``swapped'' out of main memory. ru_inblock the number of times the file system had to perform input. ru_oublock the number of times the file system had to perform output. ru_msgsnd the number of IPC messages sent. ru_msgrcv the number of IPC messages received. ru_nsignals the number of signals delivered. ru_nvcsw the number of times a context switch resulted due to a process voluntarily giving up the processor before its time slice was completed (usually to await availability of a resource). ru_nivcsw the number of times a context switch resulted due to a higher priority process becoming runnable or because the current process exceeded its time slice. NOTES
The numbers ru_inblock and ru_oublock account only for real I/O; data supplied by the caching mechanism is charged only to the first process to read or write the data. RETURN VALUES
The getrusage() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
The getrusage() system call will fail if: [EINVAL] The who argument is not a valid value. [EFAULT] The address specified by the rusage argument is not in a valid part of the process address space. SEE ALSO
gettimeofday(2), wait(2), clocks(7) HISTORY
The getrusage() system call appeared in 4.2BSD. The RUSAGE_THREAD facility first appeared in FreeBSD 8.1. BUGS
There is no way to obtain information about a child process that has not yet terminated. BSD
May 1, 2010 BSD