Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clear log file in use.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Clear log file in use. Post 302122195 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 02:39:09 PM
Old 06-19-2007
Assuming that the author of the code writing the never-ending file knows even a little bit about unix:

1. For this process there is a configuration file, which names the output logfile.
2. The process "reconfigures" itself when it receives a SIGHUP signal,
by re-reading the config file, and if the name of the logfile changed, then close the old one, open the new one.

This is pretty much UNIX standard for a never-ending log writer program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Can't clear error log

Hi errclear seems not working on aix 4.3/rs6k, i can't clear HW error with errclear -d H 0 ??? what is wrong ? thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I clear a line of a file?

Hello, I want to clear or modify a line of a file. It is possible by cat filename | sed '3d' for example. But If I want "3" to be a variable? I can't do sed '$var d' Help me please Thank you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nene
1 Replies

3. Linux

SED/AWK Script to clear log file using timestamp?

I have a log file on our system which fills up with lines that have been timestamped, as follows.... 03/03/2008 10:56:06:815] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:06:820] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:07:003]... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davesimm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear a file in PERL

Hi, How can i clear the contents of a file in perl? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear a file

Hello, I have a script which creates a certain text file. Whenever I call it, I need to recreate this file, because I have no need in the previous content. So I thought to remove the file every time I call the script, and that way I am sure that the previous content will not interrupt me.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
2 Replies

6. AIX

clear/delete log from 'last' or 'lastlog' command

Dear Friends , From 'last' or 'lastlog' command , I can get the last login informations of the users . now as a system admin , If I want to delete the log information from this 'last' 'lastog' command , then is it possible to do ? plz inform ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear extra spaces and tabs in a file

Any help appreciated Thanks sample input: > (extra spaces&tabs in here) test1 (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123.123.123.123 (extra spaces&tabs in here) abc (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123 --- < (extra spaces&tabs in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goofist
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear contents of a file without deleting it.

Hi, I have a script which will use an input.txt file as an input file. I am providing data to this input file in the script and once the script is executed, I want to clear all the contents of this file as during the second time use of this script, I'll be appending the data in this input... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl and clear case to obtain a file name as variable

proc get_view_rel_str { } { set cc_view :] end]] puts $cc_view set a puts $a set a end]] puts $a set a puts $a set a puts $a set a puts $a } get_view_rel_str this is a script in tcl with clearcase view (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to clear last 5 characters from 14th field in a file?

Hi, I have a file with 15 fields seperated by '|'. The requirement is to clear the last 5 characters of the 14th field. modifications should be done to the original file . Can some one help me in sorting this out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshk_85
2 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.14 December 2010 LOGSAVE(8)