Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clear log file in use.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Clear log file in use. Post 302122178 by coolbhai on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 01:37:23 PM
Old 06-19-2007
Sorry,
Even the touch command didnt serve my purpose;

The file I want to clear is always in use. Some program is appending it content always (even for each microseconds).

Any suggestions ?
coolbhai

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Can't clear error log

Hi errclear seems not working on aix 4.3/rs6k, i can't clear HW error with errclear -d H 0 ??? what is wrong ? thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I clear a line of a file?

Hello, I want to clear or modify a line of a file. It is possible by cat filename | sed '3d' for example. But If I want "3" to be a variable? I can't do sed '$var d' Help me please Thank you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nene
1 Replies

3. Linux

SED/AWK Script to clear log file using timestamp?

I have a log file on our system which fills up with lines that have been timestamped, as follows.... 03/03/2008 10:56:06:815] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:06:820] (ERROR) balance: continuing session to genapp02 : 18500 03/03/2008 10:56:07:003]... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davesimm
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear a file in PERL

Hi, How can i clear the contents of a file in perl? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear a file

Hello, I have a script which creates a certain text file. Whenever I call it, I need to recreate this file, because I have no need in the previous content. So I thought to remove the file every time I call the script, and that way I am sure that the previous content will not interrupt me.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
2 Replies

6. AIX

clear/delete log from 'last' or 'lastlog' command

Dear Friends , From 'last' or 'lastlog' command , I can get the last login informations of the users . now as a system admin , If I want to delete the log information from this 'last' 'lastog' command , then is it possible to do ? plz inform ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

clear extra spaces and tabs in a file

Any help appreciated Thanks sample input: > (extra spaces&tabs in here) test1 (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123.123.123.123 (extra spaces&tabs in here) abc (extra spaces&tabs in here) 123 --- < (extra spaces&tabs in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goofist
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to clear contents of a file without deleting it.

Hi, I have a script which will use an input.txt file as an input file. I am providing data to this input file in the script and once the script is executed, I want to clear all the contents of this file as during the second time use of this script, I'll be appending the data in this input... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl and clear case to obtain a file name as variable

proc get_view_rel_str { } { set cc_view :] end]] puts $cc_view set a puts $a set a end]] puts $a set a puts $a set a puts $a set a puts $a } get_view_rel_str this is a script in tcl with clearcase view (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to clear last 5 characters from 14th field in a file?

Hi, I have a file with 15 fields seperated by '|'. The requirement is to clear the last 5 characters of the 14th field. modifications should be done to the original file . Can some one help me in sorting this out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshk_85
2 Replies
ntptime(1)						      General Commands Manual							ntptime(1)

NAME
ntptime - read kernel time variables SYNOPSIS
ntptime [ -chr ] [ -e est_error ] [ -f frequency ] [ -m max_error ] [ -o offset ] [ -s status ] [ -t time_constant ] DESCRIPTION
This program is useful only with special kernels described in theA Kernel Model for Precision Timekeepingpage. It reads and displays time- related kernel variables using the ntp_gettime() system call. A similar display can be obtained using the ntpdc program and kerninfo com- mand. OPTIONS
-c Display the execution time of ntptime itself. -e est_error Specify estimated error, in microseconds. -f frequency Specify frequency offset, in parts per million. -h Display help information. -m max_error Specify max possible errors, in microseconds. -o offset Specify clock offset, in microseconds. -r Display Unix and NTP times in raw format. -s status Specify clock status. Better know what you are doing. -t time_constant Specify time constant, an integer in the range 0-10. SEE ALSO
More documentation is available in the package ntp-doc. AUTHOR
David L. Mills <mills@udel.edu> ntp 4.1.1b-r5 ntptime(1)