Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find the cdrom
Operating Systems Solaris Find the cdrom Post 302121346 by solfreak on Wednesday 13th of June 2007 08:55:37 AM
Old 06-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhor_agarwali
How can i find out exactly which device is the Cdrom.

On linux it used to be /dev/cdrom.

Thanks
iostat -En will show the cdrom device file.

On Solaris 10 the vold daemon automatically mounts a cdrom (uses /vol/dev/dsk/cXtYdZ/CDLABEL ) when inserted. Look in /cdrom there should be directory with the cdrom's label in there. To unmount use the eject or volrmmount command.

If vold isn't running then you can mount the cdrom the usual way:
mount -F hsfs /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ /cdrom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cdrom

How would I mount a cdrom drive in Unix (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hordak
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount cdrom

Info: Alpha Server ES40, True64 Unix 4.0F Symptom: root#file /dev/rrz*c root#. . /dev/rrz24c: character special (8/49154) EIDE #3 CDR-8435 disk #192 (scsi ID #0) (SCSI LUN #0) offline root#mount -r /dev/rz24c /mnt root#/dev/rz24c on /mnt: I/O error pls help me, i don't know if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: q30
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mounting cdrom

Hey everyone, Quick question...I am trying to get packages off a cdrom for NETBSD. I tried mounting using this command mount /dev/rccd0a /etc/home/cdrom. But I just get an error. I did a dmesg |grep ^cd and it said that my cdrom was at cd0.? Am I doing something wrong.? Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaff4k
2 Replies

4. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

5. Solaris

could not find cdrom

on solaris 10, when I injected my cd to the dvdrom, the cdrom did not mount by itself. how can I mount the cdrom manually? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
2 Replies

6. Solaris

from where i can find the CDROM device

Hi, I attached the CDROM device in sun 2500 system , Now i want to mount this device. From where i can find the CDROM device. Thnx.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aamir Sahil
2 Replies

7. SCO

cdrom will not mount

I am trying to mount my a cd in my SCO 5.0.7 box and keep getting this: Alessandra! -->#mount -r /dev/cd0 /mnt mount: cannot stat '/dev/cd0' Alessandra! -->hwconfig name=kernel vec=- dma=- rel=3.2v5.0.7 kid=2003-02-18 name=cpu vec=- dma=- unit=1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
0 Replies

8. Solaris

not able to boot from cdrom

Hi all am trying to boot the system from cdrom in single user mode , however when i am giving command boot cdrom -s i am getting below error Boot Device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0: f file and args: Can't read disk label Can't open disk label package can,t open boot device ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't mount cdrom

Hi there I am trying to mount a cdrom using: mount /cdrom and I get the error: mount: mount point cannot be determined If I try the command mount cdrom /cdrom nfs mount: nfs file system; use path I tried running mountall and mountall -F NFS but to no avail (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niamh
3 Replies

10. Solaris

can't boot cdrom

iam traying to install o/s in spark machine it showing error ok >boot cdrom is showing error short disk read failed to read superblock the file just loaded does not appear to excutable how to solve this can u help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathi
6 Replies
volrmmount(1)							   User Commands						     volrmmount(1)

NAME
volrmmount - call rmmount to mount or unmount media SYNOPSIS
volrmmount [-i | -e] [name | nickname] volrmmount [-d] DESCRIPTION
The volrmmount utility calls rmmount(1M) to, in effect, simulate an insertion (-i) or an ejection (-e). Simulating an insertion often means that rmmount will mount the media. Conversely, simulating an ejection often means that rmmount will unmount the media. However, these actions can vary depending on the rmmount configuration and media type (see rmmount.conf(4)). For example, if you use the default /etc/rmmount.conf and insert a music CD, it will not be mounted. However, you can configure rmmount so that it calls workman whenever a music CD is inserted. This command allows you to override Volume Management's usual handling of media (see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i Simulates an insertion of the specified media by calling rmmount. -e Simulates an ejection of the specified media by calling rmmount. -d Displays the name of the default device for volrmmount to handle. This device is used if no name or nickname is supplied. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: name The name that Volume Management recognizes as the device's name. See volfs(7FS). nickname A shortened version of the device's name. Following is the list of recognized nicknames: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | Nickname | Path | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd0 |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |fd1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |diskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rdiskette1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy |/dev/rdiskette | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy0 |/dev/rdiskette0 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |floppy1 |/dev/rdiskette1 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |cdrom0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |zip0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |jaz0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |rmdisk0 |/vol/dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ/label | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the volrmmount command When Volume Management finds a floppy that contains a filesystem, it calls rmmount to mount it. If you wish to run tar(1) or cpio(1) on that floppy, it must first be unmounted. To unmount the floppy use: example% volrmmount -e floppy0 After volrmmount unmounts the floppy, if you wish to re-mount it (rather than ejecting it and reinserting it) use: example% volrmmount -i floppy0 Notice that if you are using a named floppy, you can use its name in place of floppy0. FILES
/dev/volctl Volume Management control port ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvolu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), eject(1), tar(1), rmmount(1M), vold(1M), rmmount.conf(4), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) NOTES
Volume Management (vold) must be running to use this command. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2000 volrmmount(1)