Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: redirect output to log file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirect output to log file Post 302120528 by blowtorch on Thursday 7th of June 2007 12:25:54 AM
Old 06-07-2007
When you use the system() or the backticks in perl, the program will do a fork and exec. This will result in two processes. Why is there a restriction on the number of processes that you can create?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output to file?

Hi: I am currently working on a program which requires direct its ouput to a file here is an example ./proram arg_1 arg_2 when program ends all output will be arg_2 file Is that possible I am not a bad programmer, However I am stuck there. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks SW (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slackware
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output to a file name

Hi all!! is possible to assign the output of some command to filename, i.e. grep_output.txt Otherwise, I want to open a new file which name is inside another, how can I do it? Thanks a lot! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How redirect standard output to a file

Hi guys, i have a script named purgeErrors.ksh, when i execute this script i need to redirect the output to a log file in the same directory, how can i do that ?? -- Aditya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaditya
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of ls to a file?

Hi All, I want to redirect only the file names to a new file from the ls -ltr directroy. how Can i do it. my ls -ltr output will be as below. -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 event.podl -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 xyz.podl I want my new file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output of echo to a file

Hi , I am trying to redirect output of echo to a file.So i wrote a function named printline.Here is my sample script myscript.sh function printline() { echo "$1" >> myfile.log } usage() { printLine "********************USAGE*************************" printLine "Script takes... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASC
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to Redirect Output To Log File?

I have the below script, but when i execute it is still printing to screen is there a way i can stop this and just print everything to the log file. Thank you. #!/bin/bash exec > >(tee "/var/log/ScriptLogs/called_from_incrontab.log") 2>&1 DIR="$1" FILE="$2" echo "STEP 1: Datafile... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output of the telnet to a file

Hi, I am using cygwin. Below is my script that reads all ip ports for iplist.txt and telnets to it. ( file="iplist.txt" while read line do echo $line echo $(telnet $line) done <"$file" ) > output2.txt ~ while the output2.txt gets the first echo but does not show the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
FORK(3F)																  FORK(3F)

NAME
fork - create a copy of this process SYNOPSIS
integer function fork() DESCRIPTION
Fork creates a copy of the calling process. The only distinction between the 2 processes is that the value returned to one of them (referred to as the `parent' process) will be the process id of the copy. The copy is usually referred to as the `child' process. The value returned to the `child' process will be zero. All logical units open for writing are flushed before the fork to avoid duplication of the contents of I/O buffers in the external file(s). If the returned value is negative, it indicates an error and will be the negation of the system error code. See perror(3F). A corresponding exec routine has not been provided because there is no satisfactory way to retain open logical units across the exec. How- ever, the usual function of fork/exec can be performed using system(3F). FILES
/usr/lib/libU77.a SEE ALSO
fork(2), wait(3F), kill(3F), system(3F), perror(3F) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 27, 1986 FORK(3F)