Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mount LVM duplication drives
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users mount LVM duplication drives Post 302120038 by blowtorch on Sunday 3rd of June 2007 12:16:31 AM
Old 06-03-2007
I have never used Linux LVM, but the error message makes sense. You have used dd to clone your disk. dd actually copies everything from the input to the output. In the case of your disk, that includes things like PV information that pvcreate would store on the disk (disk id, maybe host id and such). So you are getting a conflict.

Instead of using dd to clone your disk, use dump or tar or something similar. This will just copy the files and nothing else. If you are determined to use dd, then you cannot mount the disk to for any incremental backups. Just use dd to do a clone once a week or so. Incremental backups during the week can be taken on another hdd or a CD/DVD.

--EDIT
Otherwise, you can look towards mirroring the disk if it is supported.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

File Duplication

hi all how to find the file duplication in a windows 2000 server as usual replies are sincerely appreciated. thanks raguram R (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to mount lvm

Hi, I'm stuck in an awkward situation please help I have two identical Seagate 80GB harddrives. My objective is a bit strange. 1.I want to have a cloned disk as bootable backup 2.When booting using the master drive, I also want to mount the cloned backup disk so I can do incremental backup of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unable to mount/find new drives

Hi, I work offshore and we have a system that records excessive amounts of data (Terabytes), therefore we changed the 16 x 400GB drives to 16 x 1TB drives. However, since doing this, upon bootup, the system does not recognize the new drives. These drives are external drives in a chassis which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamrocks
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount Points vs Physical Drives

Hi there i need a way ( some sort of script maybe) to check if a mont point exist when but the physical drive does not for example if i look in / and see that user_data2 directory exist but there is no user_data2 drive. another hurdle would be that some of the machines have raided drives... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Linux

Create LVM of 2 Hard Drives while installing Centos 6.4.

Hello, I have install 2 HDD in my server and now installing the Centos6.4. I want create the LVM of those 2 HDD's so while i'm doing this it is not allowing me to select these 2 disk's from allowable disk list. Same problem if i tried to make Software RAID with creating LVM. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies

9. Linux

De-Duplication Problem

Hi all, I download and install lessfs for deduplication, I copy files in /SharedFiles directory and lessfs work right and not store again copy files, but, when i delete all files in /SharedFiles , not return free space to total space, files not show in /SharedFiles , but not copy new files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeedha
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Line duplication with awk?!

So while this seemed totally trivial it turned out to be much more difficult than I had thought. I have a file with 3 rows, and I "just" want to add each field n number of times. E.g. > cat file.txt 0.5 -0.1 0.6 for n=3 into: cat newfile.txt 0.5 0.5 0.5 -0.1 -0.1 -0.1 0.6 0.6 0.6 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glorp
4 Replies
volreattach(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    volreattach(8)

NAME
volreattach - Reattaches disk drives that have once again become accessible SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volreattach [-rb] [accessname...] /usr/sbin/volreattach -c accessname OPTIONS
The volreattach utility has the following options: Calls the volrecover utility to attempt to recover stale plexes of any volumes on the failed disk. Performs the reattach operation in the background. Checks whether a reattach is possible. No operation is performed, but the name of the disk group and disk media name at which the disk can be reattached is displayed. DESCRIPTION
The volreattach utility attempts to reattach disks using the same disk group and media names they had before detachment. This operation may be necessary if a disk has a transient failure, or if some disk drivers are unloaded or unloadable when the Logical Storage Manager is started, causing disks to enter the failed state. If the problem is fixed, the volreattach command can be used to reattach the disks without plexes being flagged as stale, as long as the reattach happens before any volumes on the disk are started. The volreattach command is called from the voldiskadm menus as part of disk recovery. The volreattach utility tries to find a disk with a disk group and disk ID matching that of the disk(s) being reattached. If the matching disk is found, the reattach operation may still fail if the original cause (or some other cause) for the disk failure still exists. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if it is possible to perform a reattach. Otherwise, non-zero is returned. SEE ALSO
volintro(8), voldiskadm(8), volrecover(8) volreattach(8)