Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: password expired
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users password expired Post 302119994 by ammu on Saturday 2nd of June 2007 07:29:47 AM
Old 06-02-2007
password expired

Hi

When i try to login with my username/password i get the following message
'Password for user 'lmathew' has expired - use passwd(1) to update it'

please let me know what to do

Thanks in advane

Ammu

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX Non Expired Password

Hi, I am into production support and handling some of the AIX servers. We are planning to have a user id on a AIX system with non-expired password. Now the question is that if I have a non expired password then I cannot do a interactive login to AIX machine ( i:e cannot do Telnet ,SSH etc)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddhhuu
0 Replies

2. Solaris

expired root password

We have expiration set on the root password for 30 days. the only way to login as root remotley is login as another user and then su as root. I logged in to the machine today tried to su as root, and got the message password has expired, use passwd to change but i cant get in as root.. If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Expired - cfmupdatenode issue

Afternoon All Has anyone seen this type of thing before. Basically we had an issue where an ID that has db2 connect access tried to make the db connection and got an " Attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "1" ("PASSWORD EXPIRED"). SQLSTATE=08001" error. This I know... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philib
0 Replies

4. AIX

notification mail when password expired

Hallo, can anybody help me with my issue? Iīd like to know if it is possible to send me a mail (to @mail.com for example) when some account password will expired? eg. few days ago of this expiration. We donīt use this account every day, it is used for DB2 and DB2 has problem every 90īs day because... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JiriVenera
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Two questions on renew the expired password

Recently, the root pass expired on a Solaris box. And then, i can't log into the system anymore.....Below are two issues i met: 1. I tried to login the system via telnet and ssh. Only the ssh prompt me to set a new password. The system only told me that the pass is expired and turn it off during... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to enable password expired messages in ssh2

My SSH version is OpenSSH_5.0p1 and it is not prompting for new password and it is saying that when password expired "Permission denied". Please some one help me regarding this $ ssh devdhq4 "Use is subject to monitoring by First American CREDCO personnel. Any Criminal activity or wrongdoing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: choudarysuresh
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Request for change password when expired

Hello folks, I have few linux machines and one server from which I can connect to others without password (of course ssh key). On some server when root password will expired is asking me for change passord but on some servers no. When I can find some configuration of this behavior? Thx for any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikus
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Never Expired for root password

Never expired for root password Guy's I want to change the setting to keep the root password to be nerved expired! Please advice with the sitting! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: top.level
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp - password change / expired

What happens to sftp when unix password expires / changes ? Do we need to regenerate keys again ? Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Change Expired root Password

Hello everybody, hope you all are having a good day. Here is our (my) situation... We have a process where we clone Solaris 8 hard disk drives then have to configure each drive for the system they will be used in. In the old cloning image the root password never expired. We also have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wrongway
7 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)