Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count the number of occurence of perticular word from file Post 302118990 by cfajohnson on Friday 25th of May 2007 09:04:24 PM
Old 05-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku
I want to count the number of occurence of perticular word from one text file.

Code:
tr -cs 'A-Za-z' '\n' < FILE | grep -c "WORD"

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to cfajohnson For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

word count showing wrong number of lines

Hi , I am using SUN OS Version 5.6. I have a file that contains records of length 270. when I do 'set nu' in vi editor, I get the count as 86. whereas when I do "wc -l" on the command prompt, it shows the count as only 85. this is very strange. why would the 'wc' show 1 record less. The job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tselvanin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search& count for the occurence of a word

Greetings, I need to search and count all the occurences of a word in all the files in a directory. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skoppana
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of digits in a word

Hi all Can anybody suggest me, how to get the count of digits in a word I tried WORD=abcd1234 echo $WORD | grep -oE ] | wc -l 4 It works in bash command line, but not in scripts :mad: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the number of occurence of a word in a line

suppose i have this line abs|der|gt|dftnrk|dtre i want to count the number of "|" in this line.. how can i do that. plz help:confused: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of occurences of a word

I want to count the number of occurences of say "200" in a file but that file also contains various stuff including dtaes like 2007 or smtg like 200.1 so count i am getting by doing grep -c "word" file is wrong Please help!!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of times each word exist in a file

I'm trying to count the number of times each word in the file exist for example if the file has: today I have a lot to write, but I will not go for it. The main thing is that today I am looking for a way to get each word in this file with a word count after it specifying that this word has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shnkool
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of character occurence but not from quotation marks

I have the following string: 31-01-2012, 09:42:37;OK;94727132638;"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1)";3G;WAP;I need a script which is counting the occurrence of semicolons ( ; ) but exclude the ones from the quotation marks. In the string given as example there are 8 semicolons but the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calinlicj
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the number of occurence of particular word from a text file?

example: i have the following text file... i am very tired. i am busy i am hungry i have to find the number of occurence of a particular word 'am' from the text file.. can any one give the shell script for it (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheela
34 Replies

10. Programming

Python Count Number Of Occurence

Hello, I have a programming assignment to count number of occurrences of hours in particular file. Below is the code: fname = raw_input("Enter file name: ") if len(fname) < 1 : fname = "mbox-short.txt" largest = None fh = open(fname) counts = dict() test = list() for line in fh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
2 Replies
PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)						 1						  PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)

preg_replace_callback - Perform a regular expression search and replace using a callback

SYNOPSIS
mixed preg_replace_callback (mixed $pattern, callable $callback, mixed $subject, [int $limit = -1], [int &$count]) DESCRIPTION
The behavior of this function is almost identical to preg_replace(3), except for the fact that instead of $replacement parameter, one should specify a $callback. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The pattern to search for. It can be either a string or an array with strings. o $callback - A callback that will be called and passed an array of matched elements in the $subject string. The callback should return the replacement string. This is the callback signature: string handler (array $matches) You'll often need the $callback function for a preg_replace_callback(3) in just one place. In this case you can use an anonymous function to declare the callback within the call to preg_replace_callback(3). By doing it this way you have all information for the call in one place and do not clutter the function namespace with a callback function's name not used anywhere else. Example #1 preg_replace_callback(3) and anonymous function <?php /* a unix-style command line filter to convert uppercase * letters at the beginning of paragraphs to lowercase */ $fp = fopen("php://stdin", "r") or die("can't read stdin"); while (!feof($fp)) { $line = fgets($fp); $line = preg_replace_callback( '|<p>s*w|', function ($matches) { return strtolower($matches[0]); }, $line ); echo $line; } fclose($fp); ?> o $subject - The string or an array with strings to search and replace. o $limit - The maximum possible replacements for each pattern in each $subject string. Defaults to -1 (no limit). o $count - If specified, this variable will be filled with the number of replacements done. RETURN VALUES
preg_replace_callback(3) returns an array if the $subject parameter is an array, or a string otherwise. On errors the return value is NULL If matches are found, the new subject will be returned, otherwise $subject will be returned unchanged. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | The $count parameter was added | | | | +--------+---------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #2 preg_replace_callback(3) example <?php // this text was used in 2002 // we want to get this up to date for 2003 $text = "April fools day is 04/01/2002 "; $text.= "Last christmas was 12/24/2001 "; // the callback function function next_year($matches) { // as usual: $matches[0] is the complete match // $matches[1] the match for the first subpattern // enclosed in '(...)' and so on return $matches[1].($matches[2]+1); } echo preg_replace_callback( "|(d{2}/d{2}/)(d{4})|", "next_year", $text); ?> The above example will output: April fools day is 04/01/2003 Last christmas was 12/24/2002 Example #3 preg_replace_callback(3) using recursive structure to handle encapsulated BB code <?php $input = "plain [indent] deep [indent] deeper [/indent] deep [/indent] plain"; function parseTagsRecursive($input) { $regex = '#[indent]((?:[^[]|[(?!/?indent])|(?R))+)[/indent]#'; if (is_array($input)) { $input = '<div style="margin-left: 10px">'.$input[1].'</div>'; } return preg_replace_callback($regex, 'parseTagsRecursive', $input); } $output = parseTagsRecursive($input); echo $output; ?> SEE ALSO
PCRE Patterns, preg_quote(3), preg_replace(3), preg_last_error(3), Anonymous functions, information about the callback type. PHP Documentation Group PREG_REPLACE_CALLBACK(3)