Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting only uppercase first character? Post 302118698 by drl on Wednesday 23rd of May 2007 05:27:12 PM
Old 05-23-2007
Hi.

Also in perl:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate quickie perl for uppercase first character.

FILE=${1-data1}

perl -wp -e '$_ = ucfirst' $FILE

exit 0

run on your sample in file data1 produces:
Code:
% ./s1
Abc
Google
Cnn
Services

cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting to Uppercase

I want to convert string into uppercase string. How can i do that ? Ex: Enter the user name: read name show=upper(name) echo $show --- This output should be the uppercase output. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion to uppercase - tr

Hi, I am trying to convert the $i in loop from lower to upper case but getting error like ' awk: 0602-502 The statement cannot be correctly parsed. The source line is 1.' .. Requirement: I have many table in script XXX.sql which starting with 'ABC_','AbC_','aBc_' etc.. same thing for table... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
2 Replies

3. AIX

Lowercase to Uppercase

Inside a script I have 2 variables COMP=cy and PT=t. further down the same script I require at the same line to call those 2 variables the first time uppercase and after lowercase ${COMP}${PT}ACE,${COMP}${PT}ace. Can somebody help me Thanks in advance George Govotsis (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uppercase to lowercase

i have no variable and no file i just want to convert AJIT to ajit with some command in UNIX can anybody help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UPPERCASE to lowercase

Hi All, i have a file and i want to convert all uppercase letters to lowercase letters which are in my file. how can i do this. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase/lowercase comparison of one character per line with awk??

Another frustrating scripting problem from a biologist trying to manipulate a file with several millions line. For each of the line I need to compare the uppercase A or C or G or T with the lowercase a or c or g or t. If there are more uppercases, a + should be added to a new column, otherwise a -... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to uppercase

Hi I have a string(can be mix of upper and lower case) and need the first three chars of the string to be converted to uppercase (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Northpole
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make the first character uppercase

Input: hello world monkey Output should be: Hello World Monkey How can it be done with perl,sed,awk or bash? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the first character of word using uppercase using awk and sed

I want to make the first character of some words to be uppercase. I have a file like the one below. uid,givenname,sn,cn,mail,telephonenumber mattj,matt,johnson,matt johnson,mattj@gmail.com markv,mark,vennet,matt s vennet,markv@gmail.com mikea,mike,austi,mike austin,mike@gmail.com I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt12
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase

Hello, I have a list of files in a directory whose names are all in uppercasse, including the file format for eg *.MP3 . I would like to convert these to the normal way we write it ie ABC.MP3 to be converted to Abc.mp3 . I know that this can be done manually by using a lot of "mv" or rename... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)